Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Fans Roar To Life After 10.4.5 Update

Fans Roar To Life After 10.4.5 Update
Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2006, 04:10 PM

I unpacked my new 20" G5 iMac yesterday. In two+ hours of use it was silent or nearly silent.

Last night I used the 10.4.5 combo updater (the iMac came with 10.4.2). When I restarted after installing 10.4.5 the fans ROARED to life, apparently at high-speed. Over 2-3 minutes they gradually slowed down to what I assume is the lowest speed, which is barely noticeable.

This morning when I started up the iMac for the first time the fans immediately began running, albeit at a lower speed and it took around a minute for them to slow to barely perceptible.

I recall reading about this phenomenon on other forums (and maybe here too...) but I haven't been able find anything helpful. What I remember is that others had similar experiences after updating the OS, but I think it was an earlier version than 10.4.5.

I did check the iMac temps and from what I can tell they were all within normal operating ranges.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2006, 08:39 PM

I'm guessing here... but after updating the OS, the first launch leads to the cache for the kernel extensions being updated. This is probably CPU intensive and therefore the fans probably need to be running full blast to cool the CPU. For some reason it can sometimes take two or three re-launches until the cache is properly updated.

Alternatively, if this occurred once logged in, then maybe Spotlight was re-indexing (also possible after an update) - that would also explain the fan activity.

However, if it persists, try shutting down and leaving the iMac unplugged overnight to reset the power management.

dvot
Feb 19, 2006, 06:36 AM

I can't tell you how overjoyed I was to receive my new 20" Core Duo, plug it in and bask in its silence. And believe you me, I know what I'm talking about because my previous box was a Cube.

Well, as of the 10.4.5 combo update, those days are no more. The fan on my Core Duo drones on continuously from first boot, growing neither louder or quieter with heavy use or just web browsing.

Anyone happen to know what kext controls the fan's function? I'd love to swap it for the ones delivered on the original software disc. This is driving me nuts!

How to take a good thing and SCREW IT UP BADLY!!!

Way to go Apple!

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2006, 06:45 AM

I guess I need to pay attention to my fan when I get home. My 20" is at 10.4.5 and I didn't notice any difference.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by mavherzog
I guess I need to pay attention to my fan when I get home. My 20" is at 10.4.5 and I didn't notice any difference.
Same Here - dead silent on my 17"er
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2006, 07:25 AM

The fans of my Mac mini are spinning the whole time now, right after the 10.4.5 update.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
The fans of my Mac mini are spinning the whole time now, right after the 10.4.5 update.
My iBook G4 (which is basically identical to a Mac Mini) is not having that problem. Seems as though it is random as to what machines it seems to effect
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by dvot
I can't tell you how overjoyed I was to receive my new 20" Core Duo, plug it in and bask in its silence. And believe you me, I know what I'm talking about because my previous box was a Cube.

Well, as of the 10.4.5 combo update, those days are no more. The fan on my Core Duo drones on continuously from first boot, growing neither louder or quieter with heavy use or just web browsing.

Anyone happen to know what kext controls the fan's function? I'd love to swap it for the ones delivered on the original software disc. This is driving me nuts!

How to take a good thing and SCREW IT UP BADLY!!!

Way to go Apple!
Read this article at Apple.

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2006, 08:12 PM

Since my original experiences the fans have been normal: no more top-speed at restart/initial boot, so I think that JKT is probably correct. I can barely hear a fan running and it is a lot quieter than the fan on my dear-departed 7300/200 and about the same noise level as a G3 iMac I once owned.

I haven't done any processor-intensive work yet. But I have myriad apps, etc. that automatically open when I log-in, including EarthBrowser, which seems to place a relatively heavy load on the processor, especially when it is operating in full-screen mode. (All thoes open apps is one reason why I upgraded to 2.5GB RAM.)

At this point I am quite happy with the noise level and performance of this iMac. It certainly is several steps up from my G4 iBook!

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 09:04 PM

We have a rev A 20 inch iMac. When we purchased it, it was dead silent. Sometime after about 5-6 months, it became quite loud. We got somewhat nervous with all of the other reports of similar behavior. Along the way, an update seemed to make it fairly silent again. When it became loud again about a month or more ago, we became concerned again.

Then one day we were cleaning and noticed a bunch of lint on the vent holes along the bottom of the screen. Vacuumed the vents and voila. Quiet as the day we got it. We will be cleaning a little more regularly from now on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules