Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The Tiger Restarts Endlessly

The Tiger Restarts Endlessly
edoras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2007, 09:17 PM

Before installing Virtuedesktops, all was fine with my Macbook.

Now, after the installation, the Mac have problems in rebooting. It keeps restarting after showing the desktop and I can't even open any folder or run any programs.

What I have tried:

1 - Delete the Virtuedesktop files and fodlers --> Nothings happens
2 - Boot in safe mode --> OK but can't do much
3 - I have reinstall the mac OS X --> Same problem.
4 - In safe mode. Archive the "Previous Systems" files into my external HDD and delete the "Previous Systems" files in the Mac.---> Still similar problems.

Question:

Do I have to reformat the HDD and reinstall the OS X?
This method will be a much longer process. How do I reinstall my old apps? Do I just drag and drop the "Previous Systems" files back to the Mac?

PS: Sorry - I'm new to Mac. Just bought 2 weeks ago.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 22, 2007, 10:22 PM

When booted in Safe Mode, open System Preferences. Go to Accounts, and create a new account. Click the checkbox to "Allow user to administer this computer". Then click on "Login Options" at the bottom of the users list. Set your computer to auto log in as the new user. Reboot in regular mode. It should go to the new admin account.

Is the system stable? If so, navigate to your old user folder in Column view and reach the old Desktop folder. Does the Finder begin the restarts? If not, click it to Icon view. How about now, have the restarts hit?

I ran into a problem like this once, where a damaged package on the Desktop would cause bootup to fail very late. The solution that I used was to view the desktop via Terminal, and delete the damaged package.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 01:06 AM

Can you try another user? Or can you install OS X on the external drive, hold down Option at startup to select the external and then either fix your account or migrate your files to a new account?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

edoras  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2007, 01:25 AM

Yes! I can now log-in using a new Account....!

What happen next?
Should I migrate ALL my apps to this new account?
How do I do that?

edoras  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2007, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by edoras View Post
Yes! I can now log-in using a new Account....!

What happen next?
Should I migrate ALL my apps to this new account?
How do I do that?
How naive I am on the concept of Accounts.
The applications remained where they are but all my settings have to be set again.
I used to have a "Password Keeper" and now I have to recreate back the file...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2007, 11:54 PM

You don't have to recreate everything. You can transfer your files from the old account, just as long as you don't transfer whatever file that is causing the other account to screw up. Better yet, use the login command at the Terminal to log into your old account, and then find and rm the files related to that suspect utility you installed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules