Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > is it worth it to upgrade my mac to 4gb ram

is it worth it to upgrade my mac to 4gb ram
leprechaunmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2008, 01:11 AM

i got a new macbook for christmas. its the 2.2 ghz 1gb ram version. i just ordered a 4gb kit from kingston (110 bucks) ... is it gonna work and is it worth it?

Cold Warrior
Jan 1, 2008, 01:30 AM

From 1GB? Definitely.
If you were already at 3GB and didn't use your Mac for RAM-intensive applications? No.

But the 4GB you're getting will make your Leopard and Mac experience much smoother.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2008, 01:33 AM

What he said^

However, I'm left wondering why you would ask those questions after buying the RAM?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

leprechaunmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2008, 10:55 AM

haha bc i just found this forum and i read a couple posts with people saying that 4 gigs of ram didnt work for them. so i thought id ask and send the ram back when it was delivered

edoras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2008, 11:08 AM

A bigger RAM will definitely help to speed up your Mac...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by leprechaunmac View Post
haha bc i just found this forum and i read a couple posts with people saying that 4 gigs of ram didnt work for them.
4GB will definitely work in your Mac.

Basically it works on all Macs with 800 MHz FSB. You can also put 4GB in a C2D Mac if it's got only a 667 MHz FSB; it will recognize the 4 gigs and it will actually work. But you won't be able to address (in other words actually use) the last GB. CD Macs only go up to 2 GB.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2008, 06:00 PM

I put 4GB into my MacBook C2D a week ago and I will max out the ram in every future computer that I buy. It really makes a difference.

If anyone's interested, here's where I got it:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Notebook Memory - Retail

leprechaunmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
4GB will definitely work in your Mac.

Basically it works on all Macs with 800 MHz FSB. You can also put 4GB in a C2D Mac if it's got only a 667 MHz FSB; it will recognize the 4 gigs and it will actually work. But you won't be able to address (in other words actually use) the last GB. CD Macs only go up to 2 GB.
so does that mean my c2d macbook will only use 3 of the 4 gigs of ram?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2008, 08:36 PM

...does it has a 667 or 800 FSB?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Christopera
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2008, 08:57 PM

Lerechaunmac,
Yes, c2d macs can only utilize 3GB of the 4, however, using matched sticks will have a slight video performance advantage. So some may rub 4GB rather than 3GB. Although, I saw little decrease in video performance when i switched to 3Gb and the extra 2GB made a huge difference.

leprechaunmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2008, 09:36 PM

this is the exact model my parents bought me:
Apple® - MacBook® with 13.3" Display - Black - MB063LL/B

it says it has a 800mhz fsb so that means i can use all 4 gb of ram right.. im pretty sure i can and i understand now. ive learned alot since i got this comp.
im amped

and i bought two of these
2GB Memory Module for Select iMac and MacBook Models Kingston Technology Corp. KTA-MB667/2G at MacConnection
( Last edited by leprechaunmac; Jan 1, 2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: adding to original)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2008, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by leprechaunmac View Post
so does that mean my c2d macbook will only use 3 of the 4 gigs of ram?
Originally Posted by leprechaunmac
this is the exact model my parents bought me:
Apple® - MacBook® with 13.3" Display - Black - MB063LL/B
Yes, yours has an 800 MHz FSB. That means it's a C2D Mac that uses the Crestline chipset. That chipset will address the full 4 GB. Have fun!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2008, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Christopera View Post
Yes, c2d macs can only utilize 3GB of the 4...
That is absolutely wrong.

Please read my post above. C2D Macs that use the Crestline chipset (all current Macs except the mini actually) can address the full 4 GB RAM which means the user gets to use all of it. Older C2D Macs with the Calistoga chipset can't because of a limitation of that Intel chipset. They're stuck with 3 GB of addressed RAM (you can insert 4GB and 4GB will be recognized, but you can't actually use the last GB).

The easiest way to find out if your C2D Mac uses a Calistoga or Crestline chipset is to check what your FSB clock is as I already mentioned above.

And on another note: While it is true that matched pairs can be shown to perform slightly better than unmatched pairs for GPU-dependent tasks, it is a very small effect. It is orders of magnitude smaller than the performance hit you get when you run out of RAM and the system has to page out to disk. In other words: if you're paging out with a matched 2 GB of RAM, don't hesitate for a moment to upgrade to unmatched 3 GB.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2008, 01:27 PM

That is absolutely wrong.
Blah, blah, blah.

They're stuck with 3 GB of addressed RAM (you can insert 4GB and 4GB will be recognized, but you can't actually use the last GB).
Or am I right?

The Chipset issue was already taken care of in earlier posts. Some people... Next time we should read all of the posts before posting.

nickclarson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 04:16 PM

I used to have 1g but upgraded to 2g and it made a huge difference. I probably would have done 4g if I would have known you could on macbooks considering it's so cheep from Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 06:32 AM

Or am I right?
Umm, no. You're actually spreading misinformation.

You're statement "C2D Macs can only utilize 3GB of the 4GB" is outright false.

Actually all current C2D Macs except for the mini can utilize 4GB and there are no addressing issues with their Crestline chipset. When it comes to older Macs it depends. That is the correct story.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 07:55 AM

Core Duo + Intel 950 integrated graphics = 2GB max
Core 2 Duo + Intel 950 integrated graphics = 3GB max
Core 2 Duo + Intel X3100 integrated graphics = 4GB max

Christopera
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2008, 12:12 PM

I'm with Cadaver on this one. I do believe you will find that most are.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2008, 12:19 PM

What do you mean you're with Cadaver? He's disproving what you're saying...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 04:38 PM

I'm with Cadaver on this one. I do believe you will find that most are.
What are you talking about? Cadaver and I are in complete agreement. We are both trying to explain to you that there are some C2D MBs that can address 4 GB and others that can only address 3 GB of RAM.

Seriously, you should go back to the beginning of the thread and read it slowly and carefully. Then think. And then reply kindly and ask for clarification (if necessary). Snotty comments like "blah blah blah" are definitely uncalled for. Even more so when you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2008, 08:08 PM

You win...I could argue but it isn't worth it.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2008, 10:28 PM

...right.

Continuing to argue after you've been proven wrong is generally not worth the effort. Good call.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

kerosen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 01:39 PM

I've just bought a new MacBook, 2,2Ghz runing Leopard with the new graphic card X3100. So, reading your post I understand that I can install up to 4Gb of RAM.
The problem is that here, in Europe, the prices are not as good as in US and some of the merchandise is not easy to find.

My local store has in stock a Corsair VS2GSDSKIT667D2 which, according to the specs should be ok: Welcome to Corsair :: Notebook Memory Product Information
For Mac there is the same memory (I think) but with a code starting with VSA2... see the bottom of the page.
My question is, should I take the risk to buy the normal version or there is a difference between the VS2 and VSA2? (Of course only the VS2 is available on the store.)
Thanks for the help.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 07:00 PM

Now that Apple is using Intel's chipsets, I'd just go with the generic part number.

brightwindows
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Jan 7, 2008, 10:38 PM

I think it is better for you to get more ram, but I think you can find some better price for the ram, right now they are not that expensive.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Now that Apple is using Intel's chipsets, I'd just go with the generic part number.
Just make sure its 667MHz rated and not an 800MHz part or some kind of "extreme" or "overclocked" gamer RAM. Some of the high-speed parts don't play nicely with the Mac (which, unlike a PC, doesn't have a big BIOS that can override speed codes on RAM modules if necessary)

kerosen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2008, 04:10 AM

Ok, I'll give it a try with the generic Corsair VS2GSDSKIT667D2 which is rated at 667 MHz. I'll try to make sure that I can send them back if theMB doesn't accept them.
thanks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Just make sure its 667MHz rated and not an 800MHz part or some kind of "extreme" or "overclocked" gamer RAM. Some of the high-speed parts don't play nicely with the Mac (which, unlike a PC, doesn't have a big BIOS that can override speed codes on RAM modules if necessary)
You can actually install 800MHz PC2-6400 SO-DIMMs into a Calistoga or Crestline Mac. It's not going to run faster and it will likely be more expensive (at least currently), but it will most definitely work. The memory bus will continue to communicate with the DIMMs at 667 MHz. And they should handle that.

kerosen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2008, 11:59 AM

4Gb RAM installed, no problem at all.
The 2 x 512 mb of original RAM, when I pull them out, they have sort of white pasta on the pins, what's that?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by kerosen View Post
4Gb RAM installed, no problem at all.
The 2 x 512 mb of original RAM, when I pull them out, they have sort of white pasta on the pins, what's that?
Assuming you mean paste, it sounds like thermal grease from another component.

ibook_steve
Jan 11, 2008, 07:25 PM

I certainly hope they're not eating pasta on the production line.

In any case, the grease is sometimes used to make it easier to insert the DIMM in the slot. It's not from another component.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2008, 09:29 PM

Interesting; DDR2 is a pretty snug fit, but not that tight.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2008, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
IIn any case, the grease is sometimes used to make it easier to insert the DIMM in the slot.
Yeah, I've seen the white residue on MB DIMMs too. It sure felt like grease to me.

kerosen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2008, 04:48 AM

It is a paste of course , but very even spread on all RAM pins and it looks like it was put there on purpose and not leaked from another components, see the picture.
http://i.pbase.com/o4/12/281912/1/91...J.IMG_0066.JPG

Forum Links
Forum Rules