Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Moving to 10.5 after SuperDuper! finishes..

Moving to 10.5 after SuperDuper! finishes..
johnpowell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 04:22 PM

So I have a back-up of 10.4.10 on a external Firewire drive when SuperDuper! finishes. I just got 10.5 and would like to upgrade when SuperDuper! is done. I would like to do a clean install of 10.5 when I pull the trigger (I have hacked the **** out off 10.4 and want a fresh start). I need to transfer CS3 over when I install Leopard. I can't get to my copy until work opens in the morning. But I have a few things I need to work on today. What files do I need to move over to get CS3 working today.. And yeah I know, I'm an impatient ****.. I just want to play with my new toy.

Thanks..

Edit :: to add...
How can I tell if APE is installed. I never installed it but I worry that something else did.. I'm looking at you Logitech.
( Last edited by johnpowell; Nov 11, 2007 at 04:30 PM. Reason: I'm stupid..)

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2007, 05:01 PM

Try the APE removal procedures whether you installed it or not.

Try: Mac OS X 10.5: "Blue screen" appears after installing Leopard and restarting
or
Reboot into single-user mode (hold Command-S while booting)
Remove the following files by typing each line below:
rm -rf /Library/Preference Panes/Application Enhancer.prefpane
rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/Application Enhancer.framework
rm -rf /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Application Enhancer.bundle
rm -rf /Library/Preferences/com.unsanity.ape.plist
Exit, to continue booting normally, type:
exit

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2007, 04:14 AM

Note that SuperDuper! isn't compatible with Leopard yet. I tried it myself and it hanged partway through a copy. I've been having trouble with my external drive in general, though, so it may work for you. I'm not sure what exactly is "incompatible" with Leopard (it launches fine).

edoras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post
Note that SuperDuper! isn't compatible with Leopard yet. I tried it myself and it hanged partway through a copy. I've been having trouble with my external drive in general, though, so it may work for you. I'm not sure what exactly is "incompatible" with Leopard (it launches fine).
My SuperDuper! have two problems with Leopard...

1 - It always backup a "big chunk" of files...Previously it took about 15 minutes to finish daily backup...now it took more than 60 minutes...

2 - I cannot quit the application. Have to "Force Quit"...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2007, 10:19 AM

But since he is running SuperDuper! to clone the 10.4 hard disk, there is no need to worry at all… it is not like he is going to clone his 10.5 hard disk with SuperDuper!… at least that's how I understand it… so once cloning is finished he could just install 10.5 over 10.4 so he would avoid to install CS3 again, right?.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2007, 12:05 PM

Without remembering that SuperDuper is not compatible with Leopard, I did a backup using SuperDuper after my Leopard install. I started it, got it going, looked like it was going to take a long time (I just figured that since Leopard was new, it was doing a full backup, not incremental), so I went out to dinner. When I returned, all looked normal -- app had quit as I had set in my preferences, etc. When I look at the clone on my external, it LOOKS fine. Any easy way to tell if it IS fine?
Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!
Mary

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
Without remembering that SuperDuper is not compatible with Leopard, I did a backup using SuperDuper after my Leopard install. I started it, got it going, looked like it was going to take a long time (I just figured that since Leopard was new, it was doing a full backup, not incremental), so I went out to dinner. When I returned, all looked normal -- app had quit as I had set in my preferences, etc. When I look at the clone on my external, it LOOKS fine. Any easy way to tell if it IS fine?
Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!
It's fine in the sense that it copied all your files. But you won't be able to boot off of it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 10:02 PM

Just use Carbon Copy Cloner for Leopard (or else Disk Utility).

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
It's fine in the sense that it copied all your files. But you won't be able to boot off of it.
Thanks! That makes me feel better. I've never needed to boot from it, so I should be fine.
Mary

edoras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2008, 02:03 AM

The Superduper! blog syas we will see a new version in a week's time...

Shirt Pocket Watch

Forum Links
Forum Rules