Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Segmentation Fault?

Segmentation Fault?
ctbritt
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2004, 06:32 PM

Hey all. I've got some problems with my CLI. Whenever I try to do a "ls" I get a segmentation fault. What does this mean?
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2004, 09:43 PM

whoa that bad. Can you run anything else? Try some of the following:
which ls
echo $PATH
cd Library

...and then be prepared to burn a backup CD of your documents, and do a clean install.
You might be able to get away with just using Pacifist to reinstall your BSD layer from the original install disk, but if things are that badly mussed who knows what else is broken.

smitty825
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2004, 12:15 AM

Hey ctbritt...did you ever get this fixed? I'm experiencing the same issue now. When I do anything that accesses the hard drive via the terminal (ls, touch, etc) I get a a segmentation fault. Other commands (echo, ps, top, etc) seem to work fine. (However, if I use something like "more " and hit 'Ctrl-d", I get a full file listing)

I assumed it was a hard drive failure, but the OS X disk utility did not find anything wrong with the disk. I also repaired all of the permissions, and commands like "ls" fail even when performed as "sudo ls"

Does anyone have any suggestions? (I'm on a 15" Al Book G4 w/ OS X v 10.3.4)

rkt
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2004, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by smitty825:
When I do anything that accesses the hard drive via the terminal (ls, touch, etc) I get a a segmentation fault. Other commands (echo, ps, top, etc) seem to work fine.
did you install the gnu fileutils/coreutils?

as mentioned above, what does it say if you type "which ls"? do you still get the same problem if you type "/bin/ls"?

smitty825
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2004, 09:18 PM

RKT--Thanks for the response! The problem appears to be with the GNU tools. 'which ls' returns /sw/bin/ls, and the problem does not exist with the /bin/ls!

(As you probably can guess), this was installed via fink. I discovered the problem when I tried to do a "fink update-all" I now realize that there is some sort of a compatibility issue between the version of fileutils I have (4.1-4) and OS 10.3.4.

After reading your post, I did lots of research on this, and it is not a compatibility issue, but actually a bindings issue. If you run

%sudo /sw/var/lib/fink/prebound/update_package_prebinding.pl -f

should fix the problem! (According to the FAQ (I realize that you may not have this problem, but I'm just putting this info in here, so if someone else has this problem, and they search (I know...not very likely), then the solution will present itself)

ctbritt  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2004, 06:00 AM

It eventually fixed itself, which I think happened when I upgraded to 10.3.4.
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules