Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Out of work? Sue your college

Out of work? Sue your college
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 08:26 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/03/new...ate/index.html

See, what happens is that when you attend college, you enter into an implied verbal contract. You provide the college with money, and they provide you with a job. It's the evolution of the university system - no longer do you get an education, but now you just directly purchase employment. As such, it is only fair that you sue your school for failure to meet its implied contractual duty to provide you with employment in exchange for your payment of tuition.

mooblie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2009, 08:36 AM

Wow, Trina Thompson has now well and truly ruined her chances of ever getting job! What employer would want someone with her fondness for litigation on their books?
Martin in the Scottish Highlands

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 08:36 AM

only in amerika?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2009, 08:40 AM

I have a 3.8 GPA and can't get a job. Should I sue also?
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
I have a 3.8 GPA and can't get a job. Should I sue also?
No, just apply to law school

oh snap!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 4, 2009, 09:13 AM

Ummmm....I thought the university prepared you for a job, and then it was up to you to motivate your butt to find that job. That's what I did-just this past several weeks in fact. I start on Monday the 10th.

Of course if you go to college as an English major, unless you already have a job lined up as an editor for a publishing house or something, most people think your education prepares you to say "would you like to add french fries to your order?" as opposed to "do ya want fries with that?" In other words, you need to study something that there's a demand for... I'm just sayin'...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 09:18 AM

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

lexapro
Baninated
Aug 4, 2009, 09:49 AM

Her lawsuit is entirely valid.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by lexapro View Post
She has a crap GPA in a crap degree from a crap school (and presumably no experience). On top of that, she clearly has a poor attitude. They have provided her with information on a number of employers, none of whom were interested. Given her academics, that's not surprising.

lexapro
Baninated
Aug 4, 2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
She has a crap GPA in a crap degree from a crap school (and presumably no experience). On top of that, she clearly has a poor attitude. They have provided her with information on a number of employers, none of whom were interested. Given her academics, that's not surprising.
Her GPA is above average (remember, a C is average). Her school is regionally accredited, so it is real and not crap as they are held to high standards. Her no experience is not her fault. Her attitude is one of a go-getter.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 10:14 AM

Her GPA is above average (remember, a C is average). Her school is regionally accredited, so it is real and not crap as they are held to high standards. Her no experience is not her fault. Her attitude is one of a go-getter.
Maybe she should be suing the companies she interviewed with for not hiring her too?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 10:17 AM

Her GPA is above average (remember, a C is average).
In that case, she should move to Lake Wobegon.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 10:18 AM

Her no experience is not her fault.
Yes it is.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 10:19 AM

C is the average for individual courses, not for college graduates. The national average GPA for graduates is 3.2. Remember that the ones that don't get at least a C aren't graduating. Accreditation is not a sign that the school has high academic standards, only that it meets certain criteria.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 10:22 AM

I'm a recent graduate looking for a job too, but I don't think my chances of success in suing my former law school are too high.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2009, 10:28 AM

Are you serious? Because that's an insane statement to make. A degree entitles you to **** all.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 10:29 AM

My Church Ministries degree prepared me to work at a cell phone store where I deal with many people who have less of an education than I do. You'd be surprised how little most customers care about my ability to discuss theology...

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
My Church Ministries degree prepared me to work at a cell phone store where I deal with many people who have less of an education than I do. You'd be surprised how little most customers care about my ability to discuss theology...
I'm always amazed at the inability of seminary graduates to discuss theology. Half the time, they can barely discuss doctrine. Seems that many schools see it as a vocational degree rather than a philosophical pursuit.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 11:00 AM

You can't be possibly serious.

If yes, I will have to ignore all future posts of yours.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 11:02 AM

You should sue God. It's been done before.

-t

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 11:16 AM

Haha, this is stupid.

And a B is the average at the two universities I've attended. (It was what they've pegged the curve at, anyway.)

Somehow, I also find it hard to believe that a US postsecondary school's "goodness" is measured by its ability to gain regional accredidation status. Call me skeptical, but I know it wasn't the first thing I looked for when I was browsing US law schools....

greg

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 11:35 AM

I think there's something to this. Not to the lawsuit itself: I think it will get laughed out of court unless there's some actual discrimination going on. But here is someone who feels that they are entitled to a job simply because they graduated from college. And a particular type of job at that, since working in sales at the mall or at a fast-food restaurant is "not what they planned".

Do we shake our fist at the entitlement culture that has apparently developed with young people today?

Or, instead, do we hold Universities accountable for taking everyone in they can, even if they are perhaps better suited to go straight into the workforce, and creating a generation of College graduates who are in debt up to their eyeballs, and yet not suited to the type of work that can get them out of that debt?

I'm all for making the opportunity of a College education available for everyone who can make good use of it, but I fear we are sending folks to college who would be better off getting right into the work force. We require people of all skill levels and trades to make our economy function. I'm an engineer (a profession which pretty much requires a college degree), but I would be a lot less effective if it weren't for the Techs I work with. They may have an Associates Degree (or no degree at all), yet their experience and talents are valuable to me and my company. They're doing just fine, and started off their careers in less debt to boot. Heck, the real-world experience they get might motivate them to get further education later in life, when they can afford it and perhaps are better suited to the work. Why aren't we steering more folks down this path?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Do we shake our fist at the entitlement culture that has apparently developed with young people today?
That's the key. The US is becoming an entitlement society. This lawsuit is a perfect example.

Everyone deserves a college degree (paid for by someone else), a good paying job, a new car every two years, owning a house, free health insurance etc...

Where would it come from ? Well, the government should provide it.

Btw, the twin of entitlement is lack of personal responsibility. If something goes wrong, it's always someone else's fault.

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I'm always amazed at the inability of seminary graduates to discuss theology. Half the time, they can barely discuss doctrine. Seems that many schools see it as a vocational degree rather than a philosophical pursuit.
I wrote a big long reply then got logged out. Essentially what I planned on saying is, I'm pretty good when it comes to being up on what various groups believe (partially because I find other sides very interesting... even if they're wrong and should think more like ) but a lot of denominational schools will only teach what they believe. Beyond that a lot of what you study is less doctrine and is more biblical studies, which frankly at least as far as I can see I'd much rather someone have a grasp of how the bible was written than what their denominational leaders think.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 01:49 PM

How is her lack of experience not her fault? Did she actually try for an internship at every business in the country and fail entirely due to circumstances outside her control?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

raf66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2009, 02:01 PM

Welcome to the "Age of Entitlement". You know, we've had the Classical Age, the Age of Enlightenment, et al., and now we have this. Unfortunately this is the status quo today for a large segment of our population. Our current political situation is riding that same wave. We tried (maybe) but weren't successful so now you owe us. In some (most?) cases, we don't want to try and you still owe us. It's everyone else's fault. Yadda yadda.

God help us all.

Mr_E
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2009, 02:02 PM

I have no college degree. I have been working in IT for over 15 years and eventually worked my way up to the management level , pulling down a minimum of 70K or so annually.

A piece of paper does not mean much compared to effort, experience, and a willingness to learn.

I have hired people with no college education, based on their personality and perceived ability and willingness to learn. So far, it's worked for me.

I have some kick ass people working under me now. They got that way by learning both on their own and on the job, not by whining.

Three months?! You haven't even really started job hunting in earnest yet.
How many resumes are you sending out?

I am not moved by your whining... at all.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 02:07 PM

Let me guess: you graduated from the same college with the same GPA and you can't find a job either.

A 2.7 GPA from a crappy college that will admit anyone and anything that has a pulse and she expects employers to be jumping at the chance to hire her? Give me a break.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 02:10 PM

Or, instead, do we hold Universities accountable for taking everyone in they can, even if they are perhaps better suited to go straight into the workforce, and creating a generation of College graduates who are in debt up to their eyeballs, and yet not suited to the type of work that can get them out of that debt?

I'm all for making the opportunity of a College education available for everyone who can make good use of it, but I fear we are sending folks to college who would be better off getting right into the work force. We require people of all skill levels and trades to make our economy function. I'm an engineer (a profession which pretty much requires a college degree), but I would be a lot less effective if it weren't for the Techs I work with. They may have an Associates Degree (or no degree at all), yet their experience and talents are valuable to me and my company. They're doing just fine, and started off their careers in less debt to boot. Heck, the real-world experience they get might motivate them to get further education later in life, when they can afford it and perhaps are better suited to the work. Why aren't we steering more folks down this path?
THIS.

The attitude toward a college education here in the United States is just ridiculous. It's generally assumed that you're a more capable worker if you have a college degree, which is total and complete bullshit. Having a college degree does not unilaterally make you smarter than someone who only has a GED or high school diploma. In fact, in this girl's particular major (IT), you're more likely to have usable skills if you've been working, since half the technology you learned in your 4+ years of college is now obsolete.

My current employer recently hired in a couple guys for some new web dev positions on the team. I was told that the boyfriend would be inadequately equipped for the positions in question, because apparently a college degree enables you to have good customer service, communication, and project management skills.

Let's see. I went to college for four years. My first job out of college was as an IT project manager at a multinational manufacturing corporation. My college degree didn't do sh!t to prepare me for such a job, and I failed miserably at it. You take someone like boyfriend, who has three years of solid application development, customer service, and PM skills under his belt, and he's kicked to the curb because he doesn't have a magic piece of paper that somehow means he's better than other people.

Then, on the other side, you have dipwads getting masters degrees and doctorates in completely worthless crap like art history, museum management, xxxx-American studies, and other things that are extremely niche and only provide a handful of job opportunities across the country annually. We've not only raised kids in an entitlement-based mindset, but we've also told them that they should "follow their dreams", whatever those dreams may be.

It's time for a major reality check with today's higher education institutions and students: following your dreams can be a sure-fire way to send you straight into welfare, unemployment, or working shitty dead-end hourly jobs for the rest of your life. One of my mother's friends wanted to get a degree in french horn when she was applying for college. Her father wouldn't let her - he told her she should get a degree in something useful, and she could always continue to play french horn part time in volunteer orchestras and at church (which she still does). She ended up getting a degree in education and chemistry, and has been a high school chemistry teacher for the past fifteen years or so.

On the other hand, my neighbor got a degree in history and discovered too quickly that it was completely worthless. He ended up joining the Navy for lack of any other career options, did that for several years, and is now 31 years old and back in school getting a degree in education so that he can be a history teacher. He's wasted countless hours and thousands of dollars on a previous degree that proved to be utterly useless in the real world.

Yeah, there are people who make it in liberal and fine arts. My cousin is an artist and is currently under a fellowship grant that basically allows her to do nothing but paint all day and get paid for it. She's in the very select few in the entire world who's this fortunate, however, and I can pretty much guarantee you that the majority of her graduating class from her masters program is now doing things like working at American Eagle and Starbucks and FedEx.

There are plenty of kids wasting time and money in college right now who would be much better suited in a trade school or apprenticeship program, learning an actual skill that can *reliably* earn them actual cash dollars. We need to be encouraging high school students to pursue non-college futures - but that also means that we need to make the general corporate workforce realize that a college degree is not necessary for many professions anymore. Science, math, engineering, and other professions that require a very high level of comprehension of very complex concepts and theories absolutely require a college degree and even graduate school. Most IT jobs, on the other hand, don't remotely require a college education. I learned almost nothing in the four years I wasted in college. In fact, the majority of what I learned during that time was either in summer internships where I learned web development skills, or non-school situations where I simply learned more about who I really was and am.

Not that I feel strongly about this or anything. My boyfriend's been unemployed for five months now because nobody wants to hire him. Why? Because he doesn't have a magic piece of paper that insists he's smart. Sure, he's got loads more real-word experience than any recent college graduate in his field of interest (application development), but because he doesn't have a degree, he's assumed to be an idiot. Never mind that he dropped out of college after his freshman year because his family was so broke they literally couldn't afford to support themselves anymore, and he started working full time to help support them...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 02:14 PM

Think of a college degree like a driver's license, shif.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 03:22 PM

From the looks of it, she isn't qualified to pick up my dry cleaning or fetch my coffee. However, I'd be willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and consider her for an intern position (paying 7.25 /hr). All she needs to do is send me some pics of her in a mini skirt and high heels so I can make a final decision.

You think I'm joking?!?! HA!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Let me guess: you graduated from the same college with the same GPA and you can't find a job either.

A 2.7 GPA from a crappy college that will admit anyone and anything that has a pulse and she expects employers to be jumping at the chance to hire her? Give me a break.
I wouldn't make such assumptions. I happen to know that Lexapro is well educated.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 4, 2009, 03:31 PM

I thought looking at porn and admitting you were gay at your last ministry related job did that.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 03:37 PM

One thing I can say about this is that before I graduated with my degree, finding a job was easy. Now it's, "you're over qualified" 5 times straight now. Perhaps I should go get my doctorate.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 4, 2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I wouldn't make such assumptions. I happen to know that Lexapro is well educated.
There's proof that an education has no correlation to intelligence.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 03:47 PM

Or at least a grasp on reality.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
One thing I can say about this is that before I graduated with my degree, finding a job was easy. Now it's, "you're over qualified" 5 times straight now. Perhaps I should go get my doctorate.
"You're Overqualified" is usually code for "We can't afford you". Try to reassure them that you're willing to do the job they want at the price they're willing to pay....

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2009, 04:25 PM

"You're Overqualified" is usually code for "We can't afford you". Try to reassure them that you're willing to do the job they want at the price they're willing to pay....
That is assuming they give you the option. I got the same thing after two interviews and they said they would give me a call. It's been going on 8 years now for that phone call.

andi*pandi
Aug 4, 2009, 04:26 PM

"She suggested that Monroe's Office of Career Advancement shows preferential treatment to students with excellent grades. "They favor more toward students that got a 4.0. They help them more out with the job placement," she said."

Well duh. It might also be that employers want the 4.0 folks.

I had a 3.4 average and job hunted for over a year, working a crap job in between. Suck it up kid.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 04:26 PM

I thought it was code for "We know you're slumming and believe you're going to be pissy and unhappy when you realize you got a philosophy degree just to sell souvenirs at a tourist trap."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 04:47 PM

Exactly. You need to reassure them that you're willing to sell souvenirs at their tourist trap, for the minimum wage they're likely to pay, in spite of all that college debt you have.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 04:49 PM

You can't assure them of that. They'll always assume that you're taking that job as a holdover until you find a job that pays what they believe you're worth. Recruitment and training is expensive and it's not worth the risk of having to do it again if you think the candidate is likely to leave.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I was being facetious. As in, I don't really believe that he graduated from the same college and also can't find a job.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2009, 06:50 PM

She wrote the complain herself and she can't spell tuition?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
She wrote the complain herself and she can't spell tuition?

Hmmmm?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 08:27 PM

I have a job and I still haven't gotten my bachelor's degree. I'm going to sue a University.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I have a job and I still haven't gotten my bachelor's degree. I'm going to sue a University.

-t

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 09:09 PM

Shouldn't you sue your employer?

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2009, 09:20 PM

You better watch out - she'll sue you for taking the job she was supposed to get.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2009, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Think of a college degree like a driver's license, shif.
Except that a driver's license doesn't put you in tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, and it doesn't take four years of nonstop work to get one.

Not to mention that a license means you can drive, period. A degree does not mean you can get a job. Too many businesses put far too much stock in a college degree these days. It doesn't hold the same prestige that it used to, now that every idiot off the street can get one if they're willing to go into enough debt.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules