Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cnet article about Mac Mini upgrades

Cnet article about Mac Mini upgrades
exactopposite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 07:04 PM

http://tinyurl.com/8wlxh

Consumers who buy a Mac Mini this week may or may not end up with a machine that's faster than the desktop Apple Computer was selling in prior weeks.

The company confirmed to CNET News.com that it has started offering machines that in some cases have improved processing powers and other enhancements. However, Apple is not labeling the new machines in any special way, so buyers have no way of knowing if they are getting the more capable models.

"Some Mac Mini systems may contain components that slightly exceed the published specifications," Apple said in a statement. "There are no changes to the published specifications or part numbers."

Apple would not confirm the exact specifications of the enhanced systems, but enthusiast site Think Secret said that some models were shipping with 1.5GHz processors, up from the current 1.42GHz, as well as a faster DVD burner, more video memory and improved Bluetooth wireless abilities.

Industry watchers were confounded by Apple's decision not to explicitly label the upgraded models.

"It doesn't make sense to me why they would do this," said Technology Business Research analyst Tim Deal, who added that Apple's tactic creates something akin to a "grab bag."

Stephen Baker, who follows the retail PC market for NPD Techworld, called the move "highly unusual," saying that meaningful changes to a computer's hardware specifications typically are designated by a new part number.

Not adding one could irritate some retailers and even cause headaches for Apple in its own retail stores, Baker said. Customers who end up with only the advertised specifications may decide to return their product, knowing that better models exist.

Previous
Next

"Most retailers are pretty careful to make sure that what's on the box is what's inside and that the customer gets what they believe they are buying," Baker said. "It's a measure of trust. Whether it's better or worse isn't even necessarily the issue."

An Apple representative was not immediately able to say why the company decided to handle things as it has.

"I don't think you should mix the channel like that and not make people aware," Deal said. "If you are upgrading a product category, then traditionally you will offer some price discounting on the existing product to clear out the channel and then introduce the upgraded version with some amount of hype."

The Mac Mini is Apple's lowest-priced line of computers, with models ranging from $499 to $699. Apple last formally upgraded the Mac Mini in July, adding faster processors and more memory.

In August, Apple announced a promotion that would allow customers to test drive a Mac Mini for 30 days. However, the promotion was dropped a day later with no explanation.

JoHoNew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2005, 04:08 PM

Apple's lack of forthrightness re: new Mac Minis basically forced me to buy an eMac for a new machine for my son and wife. I have waited several weeks, reading all of the rumors and finally have seen them confirmed. However, I will not spend $700+ and take a chance that I will get an "upgraded" machine. Even though I love the form factor of the Mac Mini, I decided to go with a machine that has better overall specs, even though it's a pretty big machine. Not knowing which version of the Mac Mini you will get out of a box is NOT a smart marketing move. If there is a point to their strategy with the revised Mac Mini, it got by me (and quite a few ithers, I think!)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2005, 05:21 PM

i think apple is tryin to unload all their g4's and to upgrade the mini publically would mean that they would lose a pipeline to get rid of 1.25ghz processors. but not announcing it pubilically is why im keepin all my friends from buying them now, even i'm waiting for the update.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

exactopposite  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2005, 03:52 PM

see, i think this would ahve been ok if they didn't sya they were doing it. with no announcment fomr apple, someone would buy a mac mini, realize it was better than the specs and sjut figure they got one that slipped out by accident. now that they ahve said this is happening, if you buy one and it has the normal specs, is person may feel cheated knowing that someone else who paid the same ammount got more.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 05:52 AM

They don't want to announce it because it would affect sales of the current stock.

When all the 1.42 GHz are sold they will announce the upgrade.
Common sense.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2005, 07:05 AM

This is the weirdest Apple update ever!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

toneloco28
Oct 11, 2005, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
They don't want to announce it because it would affect sales of the current stock.

When all the 1.42 GHz are sold they will announce the upgrade.
Common sense.
Common sense would have been to wait until they made an official announcement or ceased shipping of the older model machines. To concurrently ship the old and new models, and have the consumer play mac mini roulette, is kind of dumb to me

JoHoNew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 03:45 PM

Sorry, moonmonkey, I must disagree with you and agree 100% with toneloco28. This makes no sense, common or otherwise, to me at all. Why would anyone take a chance at getting the 1.42 GHZ Mini, especially since now Apple has confirmed the "upgrade"? Only someone that has done no research at all and doesn't know about the upgrade might buy one...that's the only scenario I can envision as feasable.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2005, 04:08 PM

Stolen from some blog:

In a swift and decisive move, Dell Computers announced today that it will begin shipping all systems with intentionally mis-labeled specifications on the boxes. In what is being seen as an obvious attempt to play catch up with Apple computer's brilliant move to sell its Mac mini systems with specs that may "meet or exceed" those listed on their packing, Dell took the move one step further.

"We feel the average consumer is becoming bored with the computer buying experience." says Dell's Chief Marketing Officer Mike George. "They no longer wish to choose an item, pay for it, and have that item arrive at their front door. It's predictable. It's what their parent's would want. Today's consumer needs the element of surprise to add a bit of excitement to the table."

To that end, Dell plans to ship all of its consumer desktop models and its Inspiron 6000 and 1200 model laptop computers with wildly off-base specifications. "We've actually created a random number generator which is responsible for listing the model number and processor speeds. Even WE don't know exactly what is in those boxes. It really is exciting." says George.

Sun is expected to reply with a new ad campaign touting '100% more random than Dell' and has begun including 12 random parts in each box; you could get an entire server or 12 mice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules