Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Most Americans willing to give up freedoms for safety

Most Americans willing to give up freedoms for safety (Page 3)
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2006, 07:01 AM

This is quite possibly the most depressing thread I've ever read. Can we just elect Millennium president?

DLQ2006
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Fortunately, not just the Supreme Court, but also Congress disagrees (all of them with (and hopefully not despote) conservative majorities). Indeed all detainees of gitmo and other secret prisons are eligible to the Geneva Conventions. That's the official stance of Congress and the Judiciary -- which doesn't leave much room to maneuver for the executive branch.
The fact that the Supreme Court and Congress disagrees shows just how soft of a country we have become. We couldn't have won any other war we've fought like this, and we won't win the war against terrorism like this either. In 50 years or so when people are recovering from radiation sickness because that nutjob in Iran or some other nutjub was able to buy the technology to nuke us, we'll be able to say that atleast we gave all the terrorists and wanna be terrorists as much rights as we give any American accused of a domestic crime.

OreoCookie
Sep 21, 2006, 04:57 PM

Being `hard' is just a pretense that you put on when you run out of ideas.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Me? If it came down to it, I'd rather die to keep my kids free than leave them with a fascist state no better than the ones we're supposedly trying to stop from taking over.
And the neocons will call you a coward for having those convictions.

Brilliant, no?

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by DBursey
I love anecdotes that involve bra's. Apparently my wife's metal-clad 'D' cuppers have thus-far eluded any boob-groping issues at airport security. At least any she'll 'fess up to.
My wife had to take her bra off at the airport shortly after 9/11. She hasn't had to since; perhaps the metal detectors were retro-fit with a boobie recognition algorithm. That would be a cool software job.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
is to lose your country
Originally Posted by DLQ2006
In 50 years or so when people are recovering from radiation sickness because that nutjob in Iran or some other nutjub was able to buy the technology to nuke us
Can either of you flesh out these vague scenarios? I don't think you do your points any justice by forcing me to fill in a bunch of blanks.

I'm no doubt filling them with answers unsympathetic to your arguments.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by DLQ2006
... we won't win the war against terrorism like this either.
Define "success" in the war against terrorism

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2006, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Define "success" in the war against terrorism
Well, since none of the conservatives have stepped up, I thought I'd offer a few suggestions. God knows that I'm not perfect, but here it goes:

Not allowing evil events to direct one's way of life.

Continuing to invest in science, education and technology despite the backwards, thuggish actions of others.

Trust one's friends and disassociate with one's enemies.

Avoid taking or giving offense as much as reasonably possible.

Treating others as one would like to be treated.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2006, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo

Well said and 100% agreed. This is exactly how I feel. And I am not American. Good to know there still are true patriots in the US.

V
i've always wondered why fear plays a big part in everything. what are we as americans so afraid of all the time?

it is almost paranoidal (is that a word?)

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2006, 04:51 AM

Ok, americans are willing to give up freedoms for safety, but are you willing to give up having sex for safety?

Taliesin

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2006, 04:52 AM

i pretty much have.

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2006, 06:06 AM

http://www.flyertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606142

It looks like writing an innoculous opinion on a ziploc bag is now verboten.

I wonder if I can put a 3.5 ounce bottle of Paul Mitchell shampoo in a bag on my flight back from Houston. Perhaps it will be confiscated, in order to "protect" me from Osama Bin Laden.

Has my country gone completely insane?

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 28, 2006, 08:35 AM

I surely hope none of your family members ever get killed in a terrorist attack.

Maybe there would be less sarcastic posting smileys and puns going about.

It's so easy to dissasociate such event when it didn't really effect your life in a drastic measure I guess.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by houstonmacbro
i pretty much have.
Really?
Talk about it.

Taliesin

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2006, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I surely hope none of your family members ever get killed in a terrorist attack.

It's so easy to dissasociate such event when it didn't really effect your life in a drastic measure I guess.
Are you assuming that people who lost a loved one in the 9/11 attacks would suddenly become immune to criticisms of the way in which we have responded to those attacks? Why do you presume that those who lost a love one will not be equally incensed by the measures taken to protect us from another attack? That seems to be an awfully big assumption to make on your part.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 28, 2006, 08:44 AM

That isn't what I was saying DC. You are making up arguements out of the blue.

I am talking about the sarcastic smarmy comments.

Go re-read my post please.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2006, 08:55 AM

That isn't what I was saying DC. You are making up arguements out of the blue.

I am talking about the sarcastic smarmy comments.

Go re-read my post please.
I did read it several times. You seem to be trying to establish a link between being part of a family that lost a loved one due to terrorist attacks and the willingness to make smarmy, sarcastic commments about anti-terrorism measures in this country? And you seem to be suggesting that the willingness to make smarmy, sarcastic comments about anti-terrorism measures in this country would be diminished if someone did have a family relation killed is a terrorist attack.

Is that not true? Or to put it another way, why do you mention the families of victims of terrorist attacks at all in a discussion about current measures to prevent terrorist attacks?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2006, 10:55 AM

Where did that come from? He was making sarcastic comments about what he sees as unnecessarily restrictive political policies, not going, "LOL people died!"
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2006, 11:07 AM

I lost a family member on 9/11. Yet I think most would agree that I'm highly sarcastic, and fond of puns. Even in situations like this.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by himself
It really makes little sense to me when I hear people say that "Americans should support the war [on terror] because this a war for our freedom!" but in the very next breath, they are willing to capitulate any (or possible all) of that "freedom" out of hysterical fear. What ever happened to all of that talk about "if we change our way of life, the terrorists have won?" Everyone was saying those things when our "leaders" promised us a quick, clean, and easy war, and thought that it would really unfold that way. Now that it has been a few years and the situation appears to be getting worse, the majority of Americans are reneging on that mantra, and showing themselves to be spineless cowards. And that really breaks my heart.
Yes, the cognitive dissonance must be mind shattering.

BG
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Taliesin
Ok, americans are willing to give up freedoms for safety, but are you willing to give up having sex for safety?

Taliesin
Is that a marriage proposal?

BG
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2006, 01:57 PM

Where are most of those families, I wonder...

By golly, they're in New York! I don't think you'll find New York favorable to Bush's Big Brother tendencies.

BG

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2006, 09:30 PM

As has been stated by others, I would rather die than live without freedom.

I still haven't seen any scientific papers on the possibilities of creating a liquid bomb on a plane with 8oz bottles. Frankly, I highly suspect that such a terrorist would have a greater chance of burning his hands off than doing any serious structural damage to the airplane; one would probably need some sort of lattice delivery mechanism or catalyst that would show up on xray scans...

I do find this whole fiasco quite funny. We're jumping at shadows because we're scared of the terrorists.

Which is exactly what they wanted to achieve.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2006, 09:57 PM

There are a number of chemicals that, when mixed, cause all sorts of mischief. And with an enclosed space like an aircraft cabin, you do NOT want to release a mixture of, say, amonia and chlorine bleach. Blow up? No. But it will indeed kill people fast and nasty. Might even get the flight crew and thus doom the whole plane.

I agree that the U. S. government is apparently "jumping at shadows" in terms of how they deal with airline security, but that's only a part of the situation. What about the other stuff that good men and women are working on behind the scenes. Accountants tracking back tons of money to bad people comes to mind. But how do you get the public's attention with some accountant pouring over someone's books? They have to do something public. How much of a problem was not taking your travel tube of Crest on a flight, anyway? Not being able to take my half-full cup of Starbucks would have been a bigger problem for me...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2006, 11:10 PM

I still remain convinced that terrorism is completely over-hyped and used as a manipulative tool by politicians. It is one of many threats we face, but it has been given far too much attention, IMHO.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 30, 2006, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
I did read it several times. You seem to be trying to establish a link between being part of a family that lost a loved one due to terrorist attacks and the willingness to make smarmy, sarcastic commments about anti-terrorism measures in this country? And you seem to be suggesting that the willingness to make smarmy, sarcastic comments about anti-terrorism measures in this country would be diminished if someone did have a family relation killed is a terrorist attack.

Is that not true? Or to put it another way, why do you mention the families of victims of terrorist attacks at all in a discussion about current measures to prevent terrorist attacks?
No, lets put it this way. My comment was ONLY about people who make light of such events. I am saying I doubt if they had a loved one that died in such a event, if they would be acting that way.

There is no hidden meaning. No spin.

It's just that simple.

Put that knee down before hitting submit.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 30, 2006, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by BlackGriffen
Where are most of those families, I wonder...

By golly, they're in New York! I don't think you'll find New York favorable to Bush's Big Brother tendencies.

BG
Well it's a good thing I never said anything about anyone liking anyone's tendencies.

What is with you guys and the straw-man arguments?

I must have hit a nerve.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 30, 2006, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
I still remain convinced that terrorism is completely over-hyped and used as a manipulative tool by politicians. It is one of many threats we face, but it has been given far too much attention, IMHO.
Even though it happens daily. Right.

Terrorism is a tool used to manipulate. But the terrorists are using it.

And no, it isn't to change any political ideals. It's to scare us into changing our sinful ways and convert to Islam.

If the US pulled out of everything, and became isolationists again, it would only encourage them.

Nothing would get better.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2006, 01:43 AM

Even though it happens daily.
So do most of the world's evils.
Chuck
___

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2006, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by ink
As has been stated by others, I would rather die than live without freedom.
What keeps us going is love and hope.

But feel free to die for whatever you like.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2006, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache
What keeps us going is love and hope.
How much hope can you have in a place where you don't control your own life?
Chuck
___

Nicko
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2006, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
There are a number of chemicals that, when mixed, cause all sorts of mischief. And with an enclosed space like an aircraft cabin, you do NOT want to release a mixture of, say, amonia and chlorine bleach. Blow up? No. But it will indeed kill people fast and nasty. Might even get the flight crew and thus doom the whole plane.

What about people who know kung-fu? Should people with a black belt be declared weapons and be tied up for the duration of their flight for the safety of the passengers? Or perhaps sedated?

red rocket
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nicko
What about people who know kung-fu? Should people with a black belt be declared weapons and be tied up for the duration of their flight for the safety of the passengers? Or perhaps sedated?
That isn't as far-fetched as you might think. The instructor at this dojo I was going to years ago once told us that once you've progressed past a certain belt, you'd no longer be legally able to use self defense against an armed attacker the same way you used to, as the police and the courts would take your superior martial arts skills into account and view them as a weapon. It wasn't even a black belt.

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nicko
Tsk tsk. No smilies. It's not funny.

What about matches and a 3oz botle of alcohol?

We can find demons to jump at all over the place, especially in an election year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules