Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Say farewell to abortion in South Dakota

Say farewell to abortion in South Dakota (Page 4)
Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2006, 10:24 AM

Spiffdaddy, why a baby? Become a big brother, this organization is always looking for responsible adults to take care of a young one. Adopt an older child. Does it have to be a baby? Then, when you see the current need you would be more human when it comes to women.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
I love it when I intentionally toss out silly generalizations which are met with even sillier ones
I do the best I can.
ebuddy

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Monique
Spiffdaddy, why a baby? Become a big brother, this organization is always looking for responsible adults to take care of a young one. Adopt an older child. Does it have to be a baby? Then, when you see the current need you would be more human when it comes to women.

I don't care how old the child is. In fact, a baby is kind of scary. I'm a man, remember.

Nearly all children that are 'older' are in the custody of the state. And qualifying to adopt those children is almost impossible.

I do like the idea of being a big brother. That's a good suggestion.

What motivates me to want to help children? Best I can figure it's because I'm getting old and haven't really done anything that will be remembered after I'm gone. My childhood was a very happy time and that has certainly helped me get through bad times. Certainly it would suck to have an unhappy childhood.

For some strange reason kids like me. I don't even have to say anything to them. They seem entertained just by me being there. While most folks are able to treat children as children - I can only treat them as people. Kids like to be treated like people instead of kids.

I'll look into the big brother. But I'm in the middle of nowhere so I don't know if there's a program locally.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
I can only treat them as people. Kids like to be treated like people instead of kids.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
edit: congrats on your child. I guess after that everything else you accomplish in life kinda pales in comparison. Not that I would know, but I've imagined it enough that I think I understand.

I checked into adoption rather extensively back in 2000-2001. It was apparent that adoption agencies do not place children into single-parent households...and certainly would never consider placing a child with a single man. They were very understanding, and could offer no explanation as to why it wasn't possible. I was told that I wasn't the first single man to inquire about adoption. The short answer is that they want to insure the child's longterm well-being...and we all know that men are child molesters and they don't take responsibility for children. And you must teach young boys not to beat women else they are genetically inclined to do just that. Etc etc. this message brought to you by the adCouncil.

Some options they told me to consider were:

1) Foreign adoption. The red tape is unbelieveable and you have to bribe dozens of people. Then there's no legal recourse if you never get the child. Unless you're Madonna.

2) "Direct adoption" I forget the legal term. But this is where you 'sponsor' (aka bribe) an expectant mother by paying all medical expenses along with a lump-sum bonus...which isn't required except for the fact that if you don't offer enough money then somebody else will...also note that there aren't many women willing to do this - and the ones that do are doing it primarily for money. Again, there's no decent legal remedy if the mother changes her mind after the child is born. Simply because you cannot legally adopt an unborn child. I was told to expect to pay upwards of $40,000-60,000 to cover the medical expenses (pre-natal and post) and the, um, bribe portion of the payment. Also, I would need an attorney. There were, I think, six attorneys that handle this sort of thing. You can bet they are not affordable.

The purchasing of a child is disturbing to me. How do you tell the child that his mother sold him for cash? Hell, you couldn't. You'd have to lie and say "she wanted you to have a better life". When, in reality, *she* wanted to have a better life with the money. I'd say this method should be a crime, but it's not up to me to judge its merits. The bottom line is that somebody that wanted to adopt a child was able to do it. So, if you focus on the good part of the deal, then maybe this method should be more common. I don't have any problem with paying the money. I could live with myself. Seems like the only real possibility of adopting a child in my circumstances. And really, $50,000 for a life is chickenfeed. I've seen $50,000 cars. While inherently wrong, it sends a powerful message. You can pay a couple hundred bucks and abort your child - or you can give up your child for adoption and walk away with enough money for college.

Most folks that don't know anything about the subject always tell me to adopt one of those "troubled" children from the state. I looked into that, too. Those kids are doomed to stay in the state's custody. The requirements for adoption closely resemble having a PhD in child development, advanced first-aid certification, and a wealthy married couple with a long history of being essentially perfect.

I'm an advocate for father's rights. It's an easy job since there's no rights assigned to fathers.

Hey, let's relax some adoption laws already. Small wonder there's no choice besides abortion. My intent is to create a *need* for relaxed adoption laws by limiting abortions. Extreme, you say? Nah, it's actually the only way I can figure to have a chance of adopting a child before I'm dead.
Adoption is a tough one for a single person, no doubt. A friend, who happens to be single, adopted a girl from Russia. It was spendy, and a pain in the rear, but she doesn't regret it for a moment. Might want to look into it a little further.

I can speak on this subject with experience -- I was adopted. My adoption was arranged prior to my birth. My parents covered the doctor and hospital bills. There were no other financial arrangements, to my knowledge.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
The BB program is fabulous. I did it for a number of years and it was worth every second.

To Monique's point, they're always looking for Big Brothers / Sisters. Here, in MN, they'd kill for more Big Brothers -- not many men sign up for the program.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2006, 02:12 PM

SpliffDaddy: looks like you have Monique to thank for what actually seems like a really good idea.

Prior to picking up your kid, if you want to sort of audition the idea, I'm really good at pretending that I'm a kid. Just say the word!

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 02:16 PM

Prior to picking up your kid, if you want to sort of audition the idea, I'm really good at pretending that I'm a kid. Just say the word!
Better yet, take on two of us.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by art_director
Better yet, take on two of us.

ME FIRST!! NO SHOVING!!!

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 02:20 PM

ME FIRST!! NO SHOVING!!!
You always were his favorite.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by art_director
You always were his favorite.

That's right!

SpliffDaddy, my bum hurts... can you put some ointment on it?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2006, 02:24 PM

Hmmm…Spliffdaddy practicing being a "Daddy" to besson3c and art_director.

Now that's just creepy.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
Hmmm…Spliffdaddy practicing being a "Daddy" to besson3c and art_director.

Now that's just creepy.
Now we know who's getting lumps of coal for the holidays.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2006, 02:27 PM

Daddy, when I want to grow up, I want to be a liberal!

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 02:28 PM

LOL, now you're pushing buttons as only a child can.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 12:55 AM

Here's my post from way back...
Well, it's July 1st, and abortion is still legal in South Dakota. So here's a happy dance:

See you all in November.

Originally Posted by ebuddy
They'll throw together a predicted, fruitless effort mid-June. Any thoughts on which States illegalize next?
How's that crow, ebuddy?
This is how I still feel...

Incidentally, a relative of mine used her vacation time to go down to South Dakota and participate in the pro-choice campaign. I'm very proud of her.

EDIT: At this point, it's 56 to 44 against the ban. Amazing.
See: CNN.com - Elections 2006

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2006, 12:57 AM

Guess Spliff won't be saying farewell to abortion. It's projected this initiative sunk like a rock.
( Last edited by goMac; Nov 8, 2006 at 01:04 AM. )
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Farewell to abortion in South Dakota.
Enjoying that second helping of crow, ebuddy?

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2006, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post
This November's election is going to be quite depressing to the rightwing element.

Perhaps it will used as an opportunity to learn.

Nah.
Fixed.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Guess Spliff won't be saying farewell to abortion. It's projected this initiative sunk like a rock.
Which is fine being that it was ultimately decided by voters rejecting legislation, and not unelected judges creating law from the bench.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 01:57 AM

Yeah! How dare those judges try to make the right judgements on cases brought before them, only to have their decisions approved of by the voters years later when the issue is finally voted on! Stupid judges, who's idea was it to have judges anyway!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2006, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Yeah! How dare those judges try to make the right judgements on cases brought before them, only to have their decisions approved of by the voters years later when the issue is finally voted on! Stupid judges, who's idea was it to have judges anyway!
I believe that was the voter's decision.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post

Originally Posted by goMac
I believe that was the voter's decision.
Of course not, silly. It's the woman's decision.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Enjoying that second helping of crow, ebuddy?

I admit, I claimed they'd throw together a fruitless effort. Well, they didn't "throw" it together and proved adequately energized to win the fight. The people of South Dakota have spoken again and have voiced their support for Roe V Wade by a margin of 12%. A decisive victory in all senses.

I'm still curious what other States decide to take up the fight and in general my tone was tempered as always which means... I still don't know what crow tastes like. As far as "farewell to abortion in South Dakota"... well, crap maybe, but not crow.

ebuddy

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 11:41 AM

The interesting thing is talk immediately began last night that if this had been a more moderate abortion amendment, it could well have passed.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 8, 2006, 11:44 AM

I only hope when this come back on the ballot that the issues are stated more clearly. Both sides did far too much to muddy the waters.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 8, 2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
The interesting thing is talk immediately began last night that if this had been a more moderate abortion amendment, it could well have passed.
Exactly.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 11:47 AM

But I wonder why they didn't introduce just that thing...

art_director
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 11:48 AM

But I wonder why they didn't introduce just that thing...
Because they fasted for three days and god told them to go for the gold. Turns out 'god' was some drunk dude on a bullhorn shouting at them.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 11:50 AM

Klever.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2006, 11:53 AM

As it had become increasingly apparent the ballot initiative was going to fail, proponents of it did in fact try to loosen their rhetoric to vaguely include rape and incest, but this just indicates to me the reason why Pro-Life initiatives fail. Pro-Lifers are simply too divided on when to and when not to allow abortions. Having seen this result, IMHO this is evidence that it will probably never win out.
ebuddy

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 11:55 AM

I think the problem was they wanted to throw this in the face of roe v wade, and it wouldn't have worked if it was moderate and made allowances.

art_director
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 12:03 PM

Klever.
Here in MN, a Republican candidate, Michelle Bachman, used that line nearly verbatim to justify her run for office. She said she fasted for three days and 'god' came to her and told her to run for office. Her #1 charge is fighting abortion. She's also nuts. Which, I suppose, is why Dick Cheney was here stumping for her twice, George Bush once, Karl Rove once, Dennis Hastert once and Laura Bush once.

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post
For some strange reason kids like me. I don't even have to say anything to them. They seem entertained just by me being there. While most folks are able to treat children as children - I can only treat them as people. Kids like to be treated like people instead of kids.
That's probably why they like you. Kids can smell insincerity a mile away. Good luck with the big brother program; it's a great thing to do.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2006, 01:44 PM

In other news, coat hanger stocks plummeted in South Dakota.

Good riddance.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2006, 01:45 PM

Spliff's gonna adopt and start a familly band like The Hansens... except with moonshine jugs.

art_director
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
That's probably why they like you. Kids can smell insincerity a mile away. Good luck with the big brother program; it's a great thing to do.
I'd like to echo this post. Being a Big Brother is a rewarding experience. I loved every second of it.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 8, 2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Spliff's gonna adopt and start a familly band like The Hansens... except with moonshine jugs.
What's your point?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
What's your point?
The imagery is funny.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 05:05 PM

Pro-lifers are retarded when it comes to politics. They could have easily won this thing with slightly more moderated language. But they went all out with a strict amendment that doesn't allow for rape and incest exemptions. You'd think Republicans were smarter about this stuff, unless there was a hidden purpose behind all this...

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Pro-lifers are retarded when it comes to politics. They could have easily won this thing with slightly more moderated language. But they went all out with a strict amendment that doesn't allow for rape and incest exemptions. You'd think Republicans were smarter about this stuff, unless there was a hidden purpose behind all this...
And supporting partial-birth abortions is perfectly sensible…
(although I agree about the exemptions)
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 8, 2006, 10:43 PM

The imagery is funny.
Oh, you were insulting him? I am not surprised.

Monique
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
And supporting partial-birth abortions is perfectly sensible…
(although I agree about the exemptions)
Do you even know why a woman would have an abortion at the 7th or 8th month time?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
If you believe that killing is wrong, then you believe that killing is wrong. No exceptions.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Oh, you were insulting him? I am not surprised.
I was adding to a perpetual joke. Spliffdaddy is constantly bragging about being a hick. If he had kids (adding to the stereotype) and started a family band, they'd be playing jugs.

Wow, never thought I'd have to explain a joke so elaborately.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 11, 2006, 12:39 AM

I was adding to a perpetual joke. Spliffdaddy is constantly bragging about being a hick. If he had kids (adding to the stereotype) and started a family band, they'd be playing jugs.

Wow, never thought I'd have to explain a joke so elaborately.
I certainly understood it the first time you said it. But you have to admit, you're not being entirely honest.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
If you believe that killing is wrong, then you believe that killing is wrong. No exceptions.
I don't think "killing" is wrong, I think "murder" is wrong. No exceptions.

There are many types of justifiable killings. Killing in a just war, killing in self-defense, suicide in a hopeless situation. Abortion is also a justifiable killing.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 11, 2006, 04:18 PM

In your opinion. Certainly not factual lpk.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
In your opinion. Certainly not factual lpk.
Really? Fill me in on "the facts" then.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 12, 2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Really? Fill me in on "the facts" then.
Are you disagreeing with him that what you said is your opinion and not factual? Are you saying it is "the facts"?

Forum Links
Forum Rules