Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Do you care about the title of the President?

Do you care about the title of the President?
SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2009, 11:56 AM

This is a pet peeve of mine. It bothers me when people casually use The president's name without his title.
"Obama's doing this"
"Bush did that"
"Well if Clinton had..."

Does this bother anyone else? I try always to use the president's title "President Obama is doing this...", and I do it because I think, by virtue of attaining that office, that person has gained at the very least the gain that title. Even if I don't like what the President is doing, don't like his policies, whatever, I give him that title.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2009, 12:02 PM

It's a matter of speed and ease. President doesn't exactly flow easily from the mouth, and in an involved conversation, it just seems obstructive to have to use the term repeatedly.

And yes, in general, many of us are casual towards such things.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2009, 12:08 PM

I think in casual conversation (or in what passes for it on this forum), it is entirely appropriate to omit the President's title. Heck, it's entirely appropriate to call them "Bubba", "Dubya", or... well.... "Hopey" too!

I would hope that in news articles or in more formal communication, the title would be used. To do otherwise indicates a lack of respect for the person occupying the office. But every time I come here, I assume that nobody respects anyone to begin with, so it doesn't bother me.

Nicknames that exist solely to belittle the public figure, like using "Shrub" for "Bush", are more objectionable, but to be honest they say more about the lack of intelligence of the poster than anything about the postee. I don't quite remember whether "Bubba" fits into this category, or whether Clinton embraced it to the same extent that Bush embraces "Dubya", but I don't have a problem calling him "Bubba".

Heck, technically it's not even sufficient to say "President Bush" without inviting confusion. Just call him "Dubya" and everyone knows who you're talking about.

We could go further, though: "Hillary" is much shorter to write out than "Secretary of State Clinton", after all.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2009, 12:08 PM

The respect is accorded to the office, not the man. In professional journalism, at least, it is common for the president to be referred to as "Mr. Obama." When addressing Obama personally in his official capacity, he would be called "Mr. President," not "President Obama."

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2009, 12:20 PM

I try for the most part to type "President Obama" in my posts, as my respect is for the man and the office. When Bush was in office, I could have cared less about typing President in front of his name as he didn't deserve the respect in my opinion, as he didn't respect the office of the Presidency.
The Religious Right is neither.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2009, 12:20 PM

It must be from all the years of Presidential abuse. I can't remember very many times that Pres. Bush was treated with much respect around here, regardless of his policies.

That's not saying he was a great leader, but years of vitriol from many members has likely desensitized us. It would be a good idea if we could learn to calm down and remember that the President is just a person, and they're often struggling with very difficult situations.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by kobi View Post
I could have cared less about typing President in front of his name as he didn't deserve the respect in my opinion
How timely, what a perfect example.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine. It bothers me when people casually use The president's name without his title.
"Obama's doing this"
"Bush did that"
"Well if Clinton had..."
It doesn't bother me any.
Then again, since they're not my presidents and are essentially "just another bloke" to me, I'll call them what I will - Obama shows up at my door it's "hey Barry", not "hello Mr President" (obviously after hiding my cash in case he wants to redistribute it).

That's the beauty of not being American, I guess - I don't have to afford any respect whatsoever to whoever's sitting in the Whitehouse.

There again, I don't bother giving any respect to the idiots running my country either.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I think in casual conversation (or in what passes for it on this forum), it is entirely appropriate to omit the President's title. Heck, it's entirely appropriate to call them "Bubba", "Dubya", or... well.... "Hopey" too!

I would hope that in news articles or in more formal communication, the title would be used. To do otherwise indicates a lack of respect for the person occupying the office. But every time I come here, I assume that nobody respects anyone to begin with, so it doesn't bother me.

Nicknames that exist solely to belittle the public figure, like using "Shrub" for "Bush", are more objectionable, but to be honest they say more about the lack of intelligence of the poster than anything about the postee. I don't quite remember whether "Bubba" fits into this category, or whether Clinton embraced it to the same extent that Bush embraces "Dubya", but I don't have a problem calling him "Bubba".

Heck, technically it's not even sufficient to say "President Bush" without inviting confusion. Just call him "Dubya" and everyone knows who you're talking about.

We could go further, though: "Hillary" is much shorter to write out than "Secretary of State Clinton", after all.

Where does "Black Jesus" fit in here?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2009, 02:04 PM

Well, a lot of people called Clinton "The First Black President", but even I think calling him "Black Jesus" goes a little too far....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2009, 02:11 PM

Well, I think it's funny...

Not cause I'm making fun of expectations, or Republicans, or Christians, just cause I picture some weird hobo babbling in earnest about how Obama is, in fact, Jesus, and that makes me laugh. I like hobos.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2009, 02:22 PM

I think it's also dependent on how much dignity is sown by the person in question, and to be honest, how good [edit: as in clever] of a barb it is.

Good barbs:

OwlGore
Slick Willie
Monkey (which is my go-to barb for everyone and everything)

Bad barbs:
Shrillary
B Hussein O (the point behind a barb is changing something)
****head

Not really sure where "Turdblossom", "Fredo", and "Brownie" fit on the continuum.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 26, 2009 at 02:46 PM. )

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2009, 08:58 PM

"Turd Blossom" is the best political nickname, ever.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2009, 09:41 PM

American tradition rejects the idea of treating our government members like royalty with special honorifics. It's appropriate to call him "Mr. President" if you happen to meet him, but that's pretty much it. He's not the King or the Pope; he's just the leader of the Executive Branch. You're no more obliged to call him "President Obama" every time you breathe his name than you are to call me Most Excellent Writer & Designer Chuck.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2009, 09:52 PM

Doesn't bother me. Unless you are speaking directly to the President himself, then you address him by "President". Otherwise, omitting the title is fine for discussions on the forum.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2009, 09:53 PM

but.. but.. I thought Obama was elected king or emperor, or whatever?
- Thomas Paine

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2009, 11:05 PM

I believe the word you're looking for is "caliph".

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2009, 11:09 PM

I think I'm going to stick with Black Jesus, because I like that name.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2009, 11:28 PM

I already know a black Jesus. His name is Jesus Riuz, he's from Costa Rica.
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2009, 03:15 AM

Trying to make it mandatory to address the President in an extremely formal fashion is precisely what got John Adams in so much trouble.

We 'mericans are quite the informal bunch, ya know?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2009, 10:14 AM

This should have been a poll.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 27, 2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
This should have been a poll.
Are you really a person or just some sort of weird MacNN AIM-bot set to reply the same way all of the time?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Are you really a person or just some sort of weird MacNN AIM-bot set to reply the same way all of the time?
This, also, should have been a poll.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
American tradition rejects the idea of treating our government members like royalty with special honorifics. It's appropriate to call him "Mr. President" if you happen to meet him, but that's pretty much it. He's not the King or the Pope; he's just the leader of the Executive Branch. You're no more obliged to call him "President Obama" every time you breathe his name than you are to call me Most Excellent Writer & Designer Chuck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules