Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 28)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2010, 01:58 PM

I'd Prestige. Think of how long it took you to get 500 kills with it. That's alot of xp to waste while you get 500 more.

You do know the Vet Prestige challenges don't reset if you Prestige again right?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2010, 02:03 PM

No sh!t eh? I didn't know that, seeing as I've only prestiged once.

I guess I'll just have to wait with baited breath until I unlock the M1014 again...and the ACR....and Ninja...and Bling....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2010, 02:07 PM

All I know is I'm one level from cold-blooded. Thank god.

Edit: I did rock some surprisingly good games on Underpass without though. Silenced M4, FTW.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You do know the Vet Prestige challenges don't reset if you Prestige again right?
I was going to mention that, but I wasn't sure if he was talking about one of the green Prestige challenges.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
That's alot of xp to waste while you get 500 more.
Not that it matters, there's unlimited XP in the game anyways. There's XP to waste.
( Last edited by Leonard; Feb 4, 2010 at 02:43 PM. )
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2010, 03:32 PM

I guess invasion is kind of the new Chinatown (in terms of gameplay). I don't think they'll give us Crash, just based on how Afghan is the site of a crashed plane.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Not that it matters, there's unlimited XP in the game anyways. There's XP to waste.
Time,xp, you should know what the hell I mean. He can either do two things at once or one. Which makes more sense?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2010, 05:50 PM

Yeah I knew you probably meant time, but it is interesting, XP just increases within a Prestige, once you prestige, XP starts all over. But score, kills, deaths, k/d ratio, and games won and lost, keep going up, regardless of whether you prestige or not. Except for the Prestige challenges, you can get the XP for all the challenges over again.
MacBook Pro

Rumor
Feb 4, 2010, 09:52 PM

I get the feeling that by the time I get into this game, everyone else will have moved on.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2010, 11:10 PM

Nah, we'll be here to kick your butt...

Dakar, I'm sure will be happy to snipe you too...
( Last edited by Leonard; Feb 4, 2010 at 11:33 PM. )
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I get the feeling that by the time I get into this game, everyone else will have moved on.
Noobs are always welcome in the games that I play.

I'm still seeing level 1-10 noobs in matches, but then I'm seeing more and more 10th Prestige level 70s as well. Some Americans were talking about the hack last night in fact. Even though its a struggle, and I'd love to level up quicker, it is a challenge. Reckon that I'll try to go all the way, may take me a while though.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2010, 09:13 AM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2010, 10:11 AM

I have to admit, I've known about that for a while.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2010, 11:28 AM

I only played two games yesterday, but one of them was intensely satisfying.

Sniping on the gas station side of Rundown, I change positions and hear some dude get stabbed. I sigh with relief, as this guy was probably flanking and would have stabbed me.

10 seconds pass and I hear another guy stabbed. I pause.

Once the third death scream occurs, I'm off for the gas station, looking.I hear a fourth scream, and jump into the room. I find a team mate and two tac insertions. The enemy respawns and I stab him before my teammate. We stare at each other.

Finally he picks up his tac insertion and runs. I grab his friends TAR to replace my PP2000 and follow.

Off to the first (skinny bridge) we go! Every 5 seconds my team mate stops to check that I'm still following. Soon, he's stabbing me.

Another teammate passes by and gets into a fire fight with an enemy, whom he kills. Booster teammate runs across the bridge and stabs someone. I follow.

We keep moving. I spot an enemy and mow him down, to protect my own life. Booster teammate makes a run for it, and runs into another enemy who tubes him.

Booster teammate leaves game.

We all win.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I'm seeing more and more 10th Prestige level 70s as well.
Yeah, the first legit Prestige 10s are starting to litter the game, making it impossible to spot the hackers.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2010, 02:14 PM

Quadruple posting...

More mythbusters was released. I wonder how many times we've been screwed by the banana leaves.

YouTube - Modern Warfare 2 Mythbusters: Episode 2
YouTube - Modern Warfare 2 Mythbusters: Episode 3
YouTube - Final Stand Shenanigans

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2010, 03:22 PM

How many times can you prestige? I see some players with crazy icons, looks like more than 1 or 2 prestige.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2010, 03:25 PM

niping on the gas station side of Rundown, I change positions and hear some dude get stabbed. I sigh with relief, as this guy was probably flanking and would have stabbed me.

10 seconds pass and I hear another guy stabbed. I pause.

Once the third death scream occurs, I'm off for the gas station, looking.I hear a fourth scream, and jump into the room. I find a team mate and two tac insertions. The enemy respawns and I stab him before my teammate. We stare at each other.
Congrats on the kills.

I told you that's a popular place to get kills. I think I killed the whole other team, last night, from where you sniped me a week ago. 3 down the road, 2-3 in one of the building doors, and I can't remember how many more, until I got killed by a guy leaving that building in between where you and I were (I think). I can't exactly remember all the details of the game, but I ended up getting an Emergency Airdrop killstreak in that game.
( Last edited by Leonard; Feb 5, 2010 at 03:42 PM. )
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2010, 03:42 PM

Meh, not by anyone other than boosters.

You talking about near the tank on Invasion? I don't remember anywhere else I sniped you.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2010, 04:38 PM

Meh, not by anyone other than boosters.
You talking about near the tank on Invasion? I don't remember anywhere else I sniped you.
The game had just started and both teams spawned in. You went to the gas station from your spawn, the side with the jeeps and sniped me good coming down the sidewalk/road before I settle down or just as I settled down at a sandbagpile with a tree beside it. I had spawned in at the other end of the street by the hummers/jeeps.

I was assuming this was the area you were talking about, but maybe I got it wrong.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2010, 04:45 PM

Yeah, I was behind the tank.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by JMan09 View Post
How many times can you prestige? I see some players with crazy icons, looks like more than 1 or 2 prestige.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2010, 05:33 PM

Had my best game so far, 37-5 on Wasteland of all places. Eeked out a Predator Missile and worked my way up to a Chopper Gunner. From there I got an Omnicide (yay!) and finished the game with my highest killstreak, 24, one shy of the mythical Nuke. I might set my killstreak to a nuke just for sh!ts, maybe I'll get it.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2010, 05:56 PM

My single player campaign is now at 100%. Anyone want to do Special-Ops missions this weekend? So far I have only obtained 15 stars.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 11:58 AM

Infinity Ward

Q:"When is the expected release of the VIP content? (code that came with the game) and what is it?" [Xtremechaos1]

A: "I expect the VIP section to hopefully open with in a month, however no ETA has been set so don't hold me to that. The VIP section will allow users exclusive access to specific content (such as possibly receiving some tracks off the official soundtrack by Hans Zimmer for free), as well as give you a place where you can post and communicate with us in a private forum (reserved for other players who bought the game). Additional content is planned as well."
No mention of stats.

Q: Why can't the AC130 sight the entire map on levels like Derail and Wasteland? [superfandango]

The view restriction of the AC-130 is part of it's balancing.
Bullshit. I also had this problem on Estate.

Q: What is being done about the various FFA "same-team" glitches (for Ninja/Ninja Pro and SitRep Pro)?

Not all perks are ideal for all playlists. In-fact, some perks and equipment are useless in certain playlists (like having a heartbeat sensor in 3rd person). At this time, I don't believe there are any plans to change how these perks work in FFA.
Not all perks are ideal for all playlists because you guys obviously took some programing shortcuts.

Q: "Why do harriers and AC-130 not count for stinger kills?" [dutchpunk]

A design decision. The Stinger challenges are focused on Helicopter kills only.
"A design decision" Just say: "because". That's as helpful.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 12:45 PM

Weekend Notes

• The largest amount of lobbies full of assholes yet this weekend

• Loving the FAL more this time than last.

• Underpass is quickly becoming one of my favorite maps, though a good rushing team will quickly sour me

• The WA2000 is the biggest pain in the ass to switch to/from. The thing takes an hour to switch to.

• Using frag grenades almost exclusively this prestige. Also happening almost exclusively this prestige: Me not getting any grenade kills.

• Winning a heads-up knifing match has become officially impossible

• My XBOX is officially in the first throes of RRODitus.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2010, 12:45 PM

Q: "Why do harriers and AC-130 not count for stinger kills?" [dutchpunk]

A design decision. The Stinger challenges are focused on Helicopter kills only.

"A design decision" Just say: "because". That's as helpful.
That's like the AT4-HS, only people kills count, and not aircraft.

I think they were trying to distinguish the Stinger challenge from the Coldblooded challenge, in my opinion. In the Coldblooded challenge, all UAVs and aircraft count.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 12:48 PM

AT4-HS is too weak to bring anything but UAV down in one hit, so that makes perfect sense.

The stinger challenge is stupid because nobody uses the attack helicopter, and rest have counter-measures, so its a crap-shoot. There's no differentiating between weapon and stopping power challenges, I might add. Hell, GL kills count towards a guns challenges, which is shady.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2010, 01:13 PM

The stinger challenge is stupid because nobody uses the attack helicopter, and rest have counter-measures, so its a crap-shoot.
From my experience with a stinger (I've almost shot down 100 helicopters now), you need to fire 2 stingers at any aircraft to get a guaranteed hit. Sometimes you can get a harrier in 1, but even the harriers have counter-measures when you shoot a stinger from a distance. UAV is a guarateed hit. I've gotten a couple of AC130s but like a helicopter, you need to fire a second stinger.

Oh, and I've been using the Attack helicopter killstreak to get that killstreak's emblem. Although I have to say I prefer the Harriers to the Attack helicopter.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Oh, and I've been using the Attack helicopter killstreak to get that killstreak's emblem. Although I have to say I prefer the Harriers to the Attack helicopter.
My point exactly.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2010, 01:40 PM

• My XBOX is officially in the first throes of RRODitus.
I noticed you were using the FAL when we last played, I've been garbage with it every time I've attempted to use it.

What's the box doing that makes you think it's about to die? I've seen my fair share of problems so I'm curious.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I noticed you were using the FAL when we last played, I've been garbage with it every time I've attempted to use it.
It takes some getting used to. It has some strikes against it (Hard to use sights, RDS is bugged), but it has some interesting plusses (Will fire as fast as you pull the trigger, Holographic sight extends damage, SP is optional as it only helps with headshots).

I find you're not going to be getting a lot of long range kills unless you spam or the target is unaware/still. But on Underpass it can dole out some surprising damage quickly (silenced).

What's the box doing that makes you think it's about to die? I've seen my fair share of problems so I'm curious.
This is a long story.

So while we were playing Saturday night, I plugged in my controller since the battery was dying. I turned off the console and went to bed, leaving it to complete its charge (which it usually doed with a fan running). 10 minutes later I went back to the living room to grab a DVD and the thing was sitting there red ringed. I turn the XBOX off and on. It starts right back up. I turn it back off and unplug the controller, which appears to be charged.

Yesterday, I get up, go to play -- RROD. I check the brick to make sure its not the problem (this is a secret lesser issue that causes three rings). Not the issue. I pull the thing out and pull the USB. Bow out the exhaust ports. Fiddle. Plug it in; starts up - with no audio. Secure the optical out; Good to go.

Go to a Superbowl party. Come home. RROD. Blow out the exhaust ports. Nothing. Fiddle. Pull out the HDMI. It starts up. Put the HDMI back in. Play and go to bed.

Now, here's the really fun part: Before I went to the Superbowl party, a strange smell was emanating from the back of the living room. Like burning plastic or acetone or nail polish remover. It creeped me out as I thought the place was going burn down when it happened once before like a month or two ago. When I came back from the party the smell started occurring again, only this time it definitely was localized by the TV. I think it's the XBOX (though if I directly whiff the console, nothing). I'm wondering if it's smoldering solder from the defective joints. Add this to what my possibly imagined idea that my 360 sounds different - like one of the fans died. What's really odd is it sounds like it powers up even less fans when it RRODs.

Anyway, I'm ****ed.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2010, 02:02 PM

Yeah, it's pretty much dead. I figure if it shows the RRoD once you are in sh!t city.

Warranty? Or are you going to have to buy a new one entirely out of pocket? Either way make sure you get a new Jasper unit, mine runs much much cooler than any of my previous models....even if the DVD drive is about twice as loud now...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 02:14 PM

Yeah, it's pretty much dead. I figure if it shows the RRoD once you are in sh!t city.

Warranty? Or are you going to have to buy a new one entirely out of pocket? Either way make sure you get a new Jasper unit, mine runs much much cooler than any of my previous models....even if the DVD drive is about twice as loud now...
I'm shamelessly mulling buying an Arcade to play on during the repair interim. Then, I'll either use it for a Netflix/DVD box in the bedroom or sell it to my buddy who bought a PS3 but has been tempted to join Live since everyone he knows plays MW2 on the 360, and no one on the PS3.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2010, 02:56 PM

• Underpass is quickly becoming one of my favorite maps, though a good rushing team will quickly sour me
FAL is FAIL.

I'm starting to find my niche in each map, previously I despised maps like underpass, sub base, and estate, but now I've found my sweet spots for those maps and I can pull off decent games in them.

I still hate derail & scrapyard though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
FAL is FAIL.

I'm starting to find my niche in each map, previously I despised maps like underpass, sub base, and estate, but now I've found my sweet spots for those maps and I can pull off decent games in them.
Yeah, I'm going to respect the opinion of a guy that took this long to figure out Sub Base and Estate.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2010, 03:13 PM

Yeah, I'm going to respect the opinion of a guy that took this long to figure out Sub Base and Estate.
Anyone can hide in the house (estate), or the second floor (sub base). Not at all what I was talking about. S'ok though, my K/D speaks for itself

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 03:23 PM

I knew you'd use your k/d as a crutch. It's too bad we don't have Halo like stats that break down k/d by map.
Hiding in the house; Next you'll tell me sniping is camping.

Seriously though, the FAL, much like burst weapons, aren't for everyone. There's a definite learning curve and I still haven't endorsed it as fully capable. But at 40 bullets and 3-4 shots (silenced) per kill, I can get 10 kills before ammo becomes a problem. That's better than a silenced M4, IMO.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2010, 03:27 PM

Anyway, I'm ****ed.
It's amazing what 360 devotees have endured this generation. It's a good thing XBL is as good as it is.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2010, 03:28 PM

I knew you'd use your k/d as a crutch. It's too bad we don't have Halo like stats that break down k/d by map.
Hiding in the house; Next you'll tell me sniping is camping.

Seriously though, the FAL, much like burst weapons, aren't for everyone. There's a definite learning curve and I still haven't endorsed it as fully capable. But at 40 bullets and 3-4 shots (silenced) per kill, I can get 10 kills before ammo becomes a problem. That's better than a silenced M4, IMO.
I'm sure you can make the FAL work, but that doesn't mean it's a good weapon. It's decent at medium range, terrible at long range (if they're moving) and even worse at close range.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 03:32 PM

I'll have to disagree on the close range. It pumps out bullets as fast as I can pull the trigger. With a Holographic sight, it's two bullets to kill. I can get two bullets out damn fast.

Edit: I'm wrong, it's two bullets with SP. The Holographic only boosts long-range damage.

But I have to say, it drops people faster/easier than silenced burst weapons at long range, IMO.

Edit 2: Reading conflicting info on where the Holographic boosts damage
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Feb 8, 2010 at 03:38 PM. )

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2010, 03:34 PM

I've heard that about you from sek

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 03:45 PM

From FAL - The Call of Duty Wiki - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty 2, characters, and more

The FAL is one of the few non-sniper weapons in the game that can kill in a maximum of three shots regardless of range, Perks, or attachments.

The FAL is one of the most powerful weapons in the game, because it can fire at rate of up to 630 rounds per minute. The FAL can kill with 2 shots or one headshot at close range.

The FAL loses some of its damage drop-off with the Holographic Sight attached. Normally, the weapon would do 35 damage past 1700m, but with the holographic sight, this number is increased to 40 damage past 1600m. Knowing this, the gun becomes a 2 shot kill at any range when using a holographic sight/any kind of Bling including the holographic sight and Stopping Power. Because of this, using Bling to add a holographic sight and a silencer in conjunction with Stopping Power will effectively remove the disadvantage of reduced range that a silencer usually adds, as the gun will always be a 2 shot kill.
FWIW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It's amazing what 360 devotees have endured this generation. It's a good thing XBL is as good as it is.
...and it has all the people it has.

If this had happened this summer, I think I'd have just endured the lack of gaming. Nowadays I barely watch tv. It's all MW2 and Netflix.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2010, 04:01 PM

To be fair, I've not used it with the holographic (or even red dot), I used it silenced with HBS, the 4 shot kills weren't doing it for me. Knowing that, I may give it another shot.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 04:05 PM

Hey, I'm not trying to talk you into using it. I'm just saying, its not the gigantic piece of shit you think it is.

It's sorta like the difference between the .50 cal and the M21. They require two really different styles of play.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2010, 04:09 PM

2 bullets per kill is attractive for me. Might try it with HBS/HgS and see how it compares to my m16 setup with the same attachments.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 04:12 PM

I've seen my buddy use the M16, and with SP that thing is a one-hit kill waaaay too often.

I have to say, I'm starting to fall out of love with the FAMAS.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2010, 04:18 PM

I've seen my buddy use the M16, and with SP that thing is a one-hit kill waaaay too often.

I have to say, I'm starting to fall out of love with the FAMAS.
One hit, meaning 3 bullets. I guess it's the same ratio as the FAL though, since it takes 2 bullets for the FAL... and the FAL has a bit less Ammo. Bleh, I guess I won't gain anything by switching.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 04:20 PM

Yeah, but that burst should mostly hit on target. Unless you have a modded controller, you're not doing it as quickly with the FAL.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2010, 04:52 PM

Which makes the FAL decidedly worse than the M16..

Forum Links
Forum Rules