Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 34)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I recall some PS3 joke you made. I don't remember if it was funny or not.
There ya go. I thought he said "PSP."

As a PS3 owner, I'm much more offended at that than the Louisiana hurricane joke, which is to say, "Not much."

Also, that made me realize I've been so consumed with MW2 that I totally missed the new Uncharted 2 map pack yesterday. And that just makes me crave the new MW2 maps...

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2010, 12:08 AM

Ooooh, I'm gonna have to try the WA2000 next prestige. I picked up one today, since it was just lying around and gave it a try. I really liked it, next to Barrett, it might be my second favorite sniper rifle.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2010, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
And that just makes me crave the new MW2 maps...
Yeah we could use some new fresh maps.
MacBook Pro

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2010, 07:50 PM

I agree with the new maps. I don't play as much as you guys play but some new maps would be good.

And also that WA2000 is what I use with the SCOG scope. I can get shots off quicker with this scope over the regular sniper scope.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

• The MG4 - Quietest LMG of them all? I wonder, since first and third-party sound is different. But compared to the AUG or an RPD this thing is whisper quiet. Hell, I'd say it's quieter than most ARs. Which makes the fact that the silencer on it is bugged all the more amusing.

• The MG4 - Least recoil of the LMGs. I dare say it might be usable sans grip. I know I called the M240 this, but it feels like the ACR of LMGs, right down to the weakest fire power.
I'm going through the MG4 stuff having never used it before. Very accurate with the grip. Shite without grip using the ACOG (FFS ACOG on a machine gun who thinks this dross up?) Now silencer and ACOG on the AUG is pretty nice.

The M240 is pretty good as well. On Quarry I can snipe from the red warehouse upper level with it.

I have no idea how or why its happening, but I can go from Ninja, one shot one kill guru, grenade master to "FPS Über noob" in the space of a game. I started a game with 0 for 10 last night, then ended up at 10 for 10.

I'm seeing a lot of people avoid/vote/quit on Underpass on HC TDM. All ranks as well. Its a great map, whats going on?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 10:58 AM

Death to the West Coast!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 11:40 AM

I didn't realize you had entered the game my brother and I were playing last night until you killed me for the first time. I told my brother, "Crap...Dakar joined the game, and he's on the other team. He's going to be gunning for me."

I know I lost at least two face-offs with you, one of them culminating in an embarrassing miss for me. If I had pulled the crosshairs up just one millimeter, I'd have fired off a 3-round FAMAS burst into your torso with Stopping Power, but instead I fired it off into the ground. Fantastic.

Also, my K/D has dropped from 1.05 two weeks ago to 1.02. Why do I keep looking?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 11:46 AM

Also, my K/D has dropped from 1.05 two weeks ago to 1.02. Why do I keep looking?
Its Fatty's fault.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 11:47 AM

I may have racked up as many as four kills on you (I think one was from a killstreak). The more amusing one was when I was near the greenhouse, blasted some guy on your team, and you hopped down like you were gonna get revenge for him... and then I blasted you too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 12:03 PM

So, I feel like my days of holding my k/d/ are over. I'm slowly but surely going to slide back 2.0 if all I get it West Coast hosts from here on out. Also, feels like it takes me longer and longer to get Ninja Pro each Prestige (probably related).

---

• I was playing a lot this weekend with a Marathon/Lightweight FAL class. It was pretty interesting. Without lag, and having a clear idea of where the enemies are, I was ripping it up.

• Highrise is the new map on my shit list. I'm so tired of it. Seems that a higher percentage of the games no devolve into one team being pinned in one of the spawns (Either from being massacred, or playing conservatively to avoid being massacred).

• I out sniped a sniper, cross-map on Scrapyard with the MG4. Thus, I've decided to throw on a thermal and see how it fares on Wasteland.

• Previous Tactical Insertion experience = Beginner's luck

• New best complaint this weekend: "Nice shotgun" - That's right, shotguns are now cheating.

• Used the AA12 a ton. It's better than I thought. The range isn't as bad as previously experienced. The ammo situation, however, is ridiculous.

• There's a new glitched lobby around. It's not really fun or useful (as opposed to unlimited ammo or never-ending games). Should be interesting to see how wide-spread it gets.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 12:19 PM

Also, feels like it takes me longer and longer to get Ninja Pro each Prestige (probably related).

• Used the AA12 a ton. It's better than I thought. The range isn't as bad as previously experienced. The ammo situation, however, is ridiculous.
To get Ninja Pro quickly, equip a Marathon/Lightweight/Ninja class with a SMG and the previously mentioned AA-12 and run around like an idiot. I got 150 kills with the AA-12 yesterday. Ninja Pro - check, grip for AA-12 - check. The limited amount of ammo is a pain, wonder how much more you get with the mags.

• There's a new glitched lobby around. It's not really fun or useful (as opposed to unlimited ammo or never-ending games). Should be interesting to see how wide-spread it gets.
Speedy thing? Was in two yesterday then didn't see it all night.

I quit in disgust after being put into games with US players last night. There were four of the clan and we all had two yellow bars. Not fun.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
To get Ninja Pro quickly, equip a Marathon/Lightweight/Ninja class with a SMG and the previously mentioned AA-12 and run around like an idiot. I got 150 kills with the AA-12 yesterday. Ninja Pro - check, grip for AA-12 - check. The limited amount of ammo is a pain, wonder how much more you get with the mags.
That's terrible advice.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 12:46 PM

Its Fatty's fault.
Along with my sub-par accuracy, yes.

I may have racked up as many as four kills on you (I think one was from a killstreak). The more amusing one was when I was near the greenhouse, blasted some guy on your team, and you hopped down like you were gonna get revenge for him... and then I blasted you too.
Yeah............that was great...

And yes, four kills is the accurate count. One killstreak, two face-offs, and one where you were hiding on the opposite side of the wall next to the greenhouse stairs. I've never seen anyone defending that position from that side of the wall.

• New best complaint this weekend: "Nice shotgun" - That's right, shotguns are now cheating.
I've actually heard this a lot lately.

Shotguns, claymores, throwing knives, thermal scopes, all killstreaks, and flashbangs have all been called out as cheap.

YouTube - AA-12 Shotgun On Future Weapons

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 12:54 PM

Its Fatty's fault.
Still sore about me leading you in K/D?

and killstreak?
and win streak?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 12:56 PM

and weight

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 01:00 PM

West Coast hosts from here on out.
I've noticed that too. It would make sense if it jumped between East Coast and West Coast when we play with Stogie, but I was getting consistently sh!tty connections last night and I'm sure it's not my connection. If anything wouldn't two players on the East Coast take precedent over one on the West?

• Highrise is the new map on my shit list. I'm so tired of it. Seems that a higher percentage of the games no devolve into one team being pinned in one of the spawns (Either from being massacred, or playing conservatively to avoid being massacred).
Highrise, Wasteland, and Derail are my three least favorite maps. Well, Highrise is fun if I get nice and situated in the green ramp room with a shotty. Otherwise it's spawn in the same place over and over and over...

They should really boil the game down to AR vs AR, since that's what the complainers consider the 'real' way to play. Last night our awful game on Karachi had only one redeeming moment. The other team was holding our usual roof and the chicken coop area. I finally made it past the first two guys and managed to patrol the area with my M1014 getting 8 kills before they stopped me.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 01:10 PM

That's terrible advice.
Why is that? Since the Ninja Pro acheivement is about close kills, using the AA-12 got me Ninja Pro within a few hours.

Obviously I wouldn't play it on a sniper map, but Skidrow, Karachi and Highrise were perfect environments. Plus, what may not work for you worked for me, and may work for others.

Others seem to agree.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 01:14 PM

And yes, four kills is the accurate count. One killstreak, two face-offs, and one where you were hiding on the opposite side of the wall next to the greenhouse stairs. I've never seen anyone defending that position from that side of the wall.
See. It was an educational experience.

Shotguns, claymores, throwing knives, thermal scopes, all killstreaks, and flashbangs have all been called out as cheap.
• Claymores are mostly ok (An easy way to get claymore kills is to use them on maps where they generally aren't found. That isn't cheap (as much as camping in a corner), but it is frustrating. Smart people learn to become wary after one or two.
• Throwing Knives - Only on Riot shielders, maybe.
• Thermal scopes - When you're using them to catch that 1/10th of body that peeking between a window and two archways, yeah.
• Flashbangs - spamming can be annoying, but really, its just being smart.

Real life need not apply.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I've noticed that too. It would make sense if it jumped between East Coast and West Coast when we play with Stogie, but I was getting consistently sh!tty connections last night and I'm sure it's not my connection. If anything wouldn't two players on the East Coast take precedent over one on the West?
Well, in my experience, it seems like the majority of the other team is always on the west coast. I imagine that's why host is there, but it doesn't explain why we're stuck playing with them. I wonder if its time of play, lack of east coast parties, better infrastructure in the west, or general douche bagginess of the system in general.

On an odd note, there was a host yesterday where, for a brief moment, I noticed that the east coasters were at four bars, and kavvika hit three.

Highrise, Wasteland, and Derail are my three least favorite maps. Well, Highrise is fun if I get nice and situated in the green ramp room with a shotty. Otherwise it's spawn in the same place over and over and over...
Agreed, though I'm tired of Quarry again.

They should really boil the game down to AR vs AR, since that's what the complainers consider the 'real' way to play. Last night our awful game on Karachi had only one redeeming moment. The other team was holding our usual roof and the chicken coop area. I finally made it past the first two guys and managed to patrol the area with my M1014 getting 8 kills before they stopped me.
A small part of me wishes we had a full party and we got to try them on a few more maps.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 01:15 PM

Why is that? Since the Ninja Pro acheivement is about close kills, using the AA-12 got me Ninja Pro within a few hours.

Obviously I wouldn't play it on a sniper map, but Skidrow, Karachi and Highrise were perfect environments. Plus, what may not work for you worked for me, and may work for others.

Others seem to agree.
See any discussion about SMGs in this thread.

Also, see common sense: "Hey there's a guy clomping like a clydesdale coming. What will I do?"

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 01:18 PM

Still sore about me leading you in K/D?

and killstreak?
and win streak?
No, just amazed that you actually care so much about it. Its a shame. Would you like to compare books read, or doors opened for old ladies perhaps? It was meant to be some banter, but I see that when one tries to join in on some of the jokes here, those that post the most don't appreciate it. Shame as well.

Have fun with your k/d ratios, hours played killing zombies, an little 'in' jokes. Sometimes it was fun to come here and read what other MW2 fans were up to but mostly it was snide remarks and put-downs. As the noob, I shall take my leave.

Bye.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 01:23 PM

Whoa.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 01:27 PM

Matty, if you are being serious I don't know what to say, I'm just joshing you dude. In fact, since I chose to compare myself directly to you it must mean I consider you one of the better players in here.

Much like Dakar, if I'm joking around with you it means I like you. Members here I don't like or don't know I would never give them the kind of sh!t I give my 'friends' here. If I am truly bothering you I'll stop, I never thought I was actually annoying you.

Edit: For some parallels look at the Halo 3 thread, pretty much half of all the content is snide remarks and juvenile banter.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 01:33 PM

This is what you get for living in France.

Because the French have no humor.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 01:53 PM

Matty, if you are being serious I don't know what to say, I'm just joshing you dude. In fact, since I chose to compare myself directly to you it must mean I consider you one of the better players in here.

Much like Dakar, if I'm joking around with you it means I like you. Members here I don't like or don't know I would never give them the kind of sh!t I give my 'friends' here. If I am truly bothering you I'll stop, I never thought I was actually annoying you.

Edit: For some parallels look at the Halo 3 thread, pretty much half of all the content is snide remarks and juvenile banter.
Sorry, ignore me. I need a break.

My apologies.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2010, 02:38 PM

On an odd note, there was a host yesterday where, for a brief moment, I noticed that the east coasters were at four bars, and kavvika hit three.
I'm so used to playing with 2 bars, when I have more than that I don't even know how to aim. I'm accustomed to leading my targets and compensating for the latency.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 02:45 PM

I'm not great at dealing with lag, but I've noticed that out all my friends, I definitely shrug it off better (That is to say, when they deal with a connection as bad as I usually get, they start whining like me when Crosbie has host)

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2010, 02:50 PM

So, I feel like my days of holding my k/d/ are over. I'm slowly but surely going to slide back 2.0 if all I get it West Coast hosts from here on out. Also, feels like it takes me longer and longer to get Ninja Pro each Prestige (probably related).
I've stopped caring about my k/d. On the smaller maps, I have more fun running around with m9/tacknife + marathon/lightweight/commando than trying to protect my k/d sitting in a corner. Getting a 5 kill-streak, using only your knife, is so very satisfying.

I do want to get a nuke though... I think it'll happen on Derail, Afghan or Rundown.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 03:50 PM

How often do you guys actually play with the nuke killstreak active?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 03:53 PM

Never.

I haven't done EMP yet because I'm not confident I could get 10 in a Prestige (at least while I'm ****ing with masteries, challenges and the like).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I've stopped caring about my k/d. On the smaller maps, I have more fun running around with m9/tacknife + marathon/lightweight/commando than trying to protect my k/d sitting in a corner. Getting a 5 kill-streak, using only your knife, is so very satisfying.
I can't help it. I wasn't really checking my k/d too often until it dropped, but what it means (that I'm sucking lately) is what bothers the hell out of me.

Edit: To be fair, I don't envision any scenarios where I'm dying a lot and enjoying myself. The riot shield is the closest one, I guess.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 04:38 PM

Never, I set it a few games and then took it off, only to have my best game and best killstreak a few games later.

Sorry, ignore me. I need a break.

My apologies.
No problem man, I'm just glad I haven't made an enemy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 05:24 PM

Oh hey, we didn't mention kavvika epic Rust spawn killing from yesterday! I mean epic, too. I know saint had the heavily covered corner spawn camped, and we probably had the pipe walkway spawn occupied, dunno if people spawn often at the other corner, so the entire team was spawning in that last available corner.

kavvika doesn't know it, but he owes me (that's right, I'm taking credit for this). Before the spawns settled, early in his Chopper Gunner I mowed down two guys with Stingers before they could fire on him.

The rest was history. (37 kills? 39?)

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2010, 06:15 PM

39 :o

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2010, 06:17 PM

I'm committing to having it always, from now on. I played all of Sunday with it. Got close a few times. Harrier / Chopper Gunner / Nuke.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 06:40 PM

How did you not get it on Rust?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2010, 06:55 PM

Died before I called my chopper gunner

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 08:57 PM

In retrospect, that's pretty obvious. You'd have to be lucky to escape death during an entire game of Rust, let alone while prone and Chopper Gunnering.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2010, 09:49 PM

What nuke?

No seriously, I've never play with the Nuke killstreak active. Usually the highest I go is Pave-low.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2010, 09:55 PM

In retrospect, that's pretty obvious. You'd have to be lucky to escape death during an entire game of Rust, let alone while prone and Chopper Gunnering.
Agreed. The only chance you might have to live, is if you can get up top before you start your killstreak, and no-one is up there.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2010, 01:10 PM

3 out of the 6 games I played last night were Highrise.

God-dammit.

Also, I've never seen someone so blatantly terrible at sniping spamming the M21 as I did last night on our Wasteland match. Watching the killcam was hilarious. I took it upon myself to camp the bunker and kill him a good 6 times in a row.

New favorite weapon combo: ACR w/ holographic and silencer
New least favorite combo: Trying to get FMJ bullet penetration kills to unlock extended mags for the ACR

Now that I've had my M1014 back for a couple of levels I can make a ruling on shotguns.

The SPAS is a great shotgun, with great range and accuracy. Perfect for patrolling areas where you are elevated above potential enemies (Estate, Quarry, etc) but falls flat on its face for CQB thanks to pumping between each shot. The M1014 is a great shotgun with awesome spread and rapid firing. Perfect for CQB on any cramped urban level (Karachi, Invasion, etc) but fall flat on its face for killing any enemy at medium-close range.

I give the SPAS the edge, but only because it's a better choice right off the bat, with no attachments. However, working at the M1014 and unlocking the grip and extended mags then gives it the egde IMO.

Lastly, in back to back matches, an enemy called in a care package and received an AC130. I also received an AC130 from an emergency airdrop. Quite a change from the usual UAV/Counter UAV/Ammo that I always get from care packages.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2010, 02:49 PM

The M21 is for noobs who want to snipe, but don't have the patience or accuracy. I find the penalty for the multipliers is so awful that I'm less effective than with, oh, any other sniper.

Any thoughts on the AA-12? The first time I used it back in the day I thought the range was non-existent, but on Estate it's kinda ok. Gonna get a lot of hit markers, but you're also gonna rip up some groups of people.

Now, for dumbest comment you will ever hear in this thread: I hate people that burst fire automatics. I can't put my finger on why, but I find those deaths extremely irritating.

---

The map cycle on MW2 is killing me. I got to use the MG4 on Wasteland once, but it was a sniper game, so it was a dumb experiment. I spent most of the game sitting back, basically snipering with the MG4.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2010, 02:58 PM

I had something similar. On Scrapyard I tend to use the SPAS a lot and at the end of the game some guy on the other team said, "Whoever was running around with the shotgun, you can't use it like an assault rifle. You can't just keep using it."

Uhhh... Why not? The map is small enough and with everyone hanging out in the plane bodies it's a pretty good weapon. Often there would be a few of their team in the L shaped plane bodies. I'd throw a flash grenade in and with sleight of hand and my SPAS I'd take out most of them.

Apparently they didn't appreciate that.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2010, 03:06 PM

I got my best kill recently. We were playing on Sub Base and I was in the second story room with the server looking computers. I was out of FAMAS ammo and had my SPAS out. I looked out the back windows and two of the enemy were coming into the building.

I jumped out of the second story window, aimed at them from above, and fired one shot with the SPAS. The one shot was a headshot which killed them both.
I got the "kill two enemies while in the air" and "get two headshots with one bullet" challenges.

I wish we could record replays.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2010, 03:09 PM

I give the SPAS the edge, but only because it's a better choice right off the bat, with no attachments. However, working at the M1014 and unlocking the grip and extended mags then gives it the egde IMO.
The extended mags make the M1014 sooo much better. Four shots just isn't enough. I found myself dying a lot when I had to constantly reload the weapon. The range sucks compared to the SPAS but I find the M1014 better at getting head shots. I'm almost the the 700 kill mark with the M1014.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I got the "kill two enemies while in the air" and "get two headshots with one bullet" challenges.
First person in the thread! Nice.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I'm almost the the 700 kill mark with the M1014.
Nice, seems you use it almost as much as I do. Now on 2nd prestige I am at 1500 kills with the M1014.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I got my best kill recently. We were playing on Sub Base and I was in the second story room with the server looking computers. I was out of FAMAS ammo and had my SPAS out. I looked out the back windows and two of the enemy were coming into the building.

I jumped out of the second story window, aimed at them from above, and fired one shot with the SPAS. The one shot was a headshot which killed them both.

I wish we could record replays.
Very, very nice.

Wish I could watch it. You know you've reached a certain level of addiction when you spend a bit of time watching impressive MW2 kills on YouTube. Guilty.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2010, 03:49 PM

Do you guys get double-kills (one shot) very often? I don't think I really got any till the past prestige or two.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2010, 03:57 PM

I got my first nuke last night, on the first full game I played of the night. Sniping on Wasteland (with the M21 (f u Dakar, I mastered the Barret)). Dakar was in my game, and I told him to go away from my corner and he did (thanks!), the other team proceeded to get ripped up by my silenced M21. My harrier did good work, and soon I was manning the Chopper Gunner. Less than 15 seconds into the Chopper Gunner and the host migrates! I thought it was gonna lag out, I was so mad, I was at 22-0. Host migrates, and I get 5 more kills with the chopper gunner. 27-0, nuke ready. Call in the nuke and the host migrates again! Make it through the migration, and the nuke goes off, ended the game 29-1 (apparently the nuke kills me too).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I got my first nuke last night, on the first full game I played of the night. Sniping on Wasteland (with the M21 (f u Dakar, I mastered the Barret)). Dakar was in my game, and I told him to go away from my corner and he did (thanks!), the other team proceeded to get ripped up by my silenced M21.
From what I can tell, you got a ton of 1-hit kills with a silenced M21. Obviously my comment was not aimed at you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules