Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AirPortExtreme Base Station und Bridging...?

AirPortExtreme Base Station und Bridging...?
domymel
May 25, 2004, 08:32 AM

Hi together,
I have an Air Port Extreme Base Station and need another Base in order to extent the Network and connect another machine via cable-an extension antenna doesn't work for me.
Which products can be used to connect for that reason with the Apple base. Obviously another Apple Base- but considering the price... I'd prefer something cheaper.
Does anybody have anysuggestions?

Cheers,
Dom

TonTaub
Forum Regular
Location: Sitting in a Viennese Cafe and drinking my Melange.
May 25, 2004, 09:06 AM

Hi,

I'm not sure if I got your question fully right but yesterday I successfully set up a Linksys WRT54G Switch/AccessPoint/Router running Sveasoft firmware (freely availiable) configured with WPA (Pre-shared Key)/TPIK.
I paid about EU 85,- for it.
Reception and performance is fine, the unit appears pretty reliable (I'm using the router since two months in the LAN, but got my PoBo with AirPort last week).

HTH, Michael.
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )
ok, that is history! :-)

domymel  (op)
May 25, 2004, 10:20 AM

well, I guess my description was indeed a bit cryptic
do you mean that you use your lynksis as a bridge, in connection with an Apple Base Station? This is what I want to do.

Cheers,
Dom

TonTaub
Forum Regular
Location: Sitting in a Viennese Cafe and drinking my Melange.
May 25, 2004, 10:26 AM

The Linksys itself also has an access point.
And it can do bridging and routing and has got four+1 10/100 Ethernet ports (switched).

But I can't say what it does in conjunction with another accesspoint.
Do you want to roam between different network segments?

I have no experience with setting up multiple accesspoints - I'd guess you just have to set them on different channels if they are on the same segment.

Michael.
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )
ok, that is history! :-)

amazing
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 10:46 AM

Could you post some more info about distances, what you're trying to do, computers' involved? Bit hard to give advice other than asking whether you can run an ethernet cable, because that would be the simplest...

Any 3rd party WAP has 4 ethernet ports. So you'd put it on your cable modem, and it would distribute DHCP. Run ethernet cable to wherever your AEBS would sit and disable DHCP on it. Essentially, you're roaming between 2 base stations like schools do.

domymel  (op)
May 25, 2004, 12:25 PM

ok, I will try my best...
Involved are an emac, which is connected to my AirPortExtreme Base Station(with a Dr. Bott external Antenna) via ethernet. Then there is a PB, which currently connects via Airport to this Base Station.
The Problem is that the walls are concrete and hardly any signal strength goes through (the PB is in the next room and only with the external antenna am I able to catch up the signal).
Now I need to add a Windows Desktop. It is on another floor. I thought that the best solution would be to get another Base Station with an ethernet exit and connect the PC this way. The reason why I'd prefer another base station is so that I can actually use the gained radious of the network and I'd finally be able to use air port in the hole house.
Cableing is not an option for me.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Dom

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 25, 2004, 02:08 PM

Two words: Networking forum.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules