Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > BOINC for Climate Prediction?

BOINC for Climate Prediction?
agfacid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 01:04 PM

Hello,
I was just on the climateprediction.net website and it lists there being no current support for Mac users. I did a search and noticed there's references to Team MacNN and Climate Prediction. Have you guys figured out a way to get this working on a Mac?
I have a about 5-10 Macs I would like to use for this, but I'm unsure if it's working, etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kristin.

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2006, 03:25 PM

It ran on Mac's for quite a while and the team did do a lot of work for the project, but due to continued problems with running CPDN on some Macs, but mostly due to lack of resources at CPDN, they stopped support for Mac's in February ( I think it was).

Unless they can get an intel mac and a buy in fortran compiler and another member of staff its unlikely that it will resume on Mac. Its a pity that Apple have not come forward to offer support for so important a project.

The model code they have to use has been built up over thirty years and is very out of date.

They also had this big project with the BBC, which probably reduced the time they had available to spend on minority systems like Mac's ( Their view ).

It's also probable that the project will close once they have got the data they want, perhaps another year.

K.

Forum Links
Forum Rules