Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > How Many Homes Do You Own?

How Many Homes Do You Own? (Page 2)
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2008, 11:39 PM

I think the best part of this whole 'story' is that he lives at the 'Hidden Valley Ranch'.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2008, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Bought another house today, for ~40% under current market value (which is considerably less than 2 years ago). It needs a bit of work, so I'm going to let my cousin live there and fix various things in lieu of rent and utilities. He's a professional carpenter/handyman, so I think it's a fair exchange.

So, that makes 3.
YOU DIRTY CAPITALIST!!!111! You should have sent your money to Algore to offset your carbon footprint -- or maybe sent the money to Obama's starving brother that lives off a dollar a month. YOU ARE TOO RICH!!1!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2008, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Bought another house today, for ~40% under current market value (which is considerably less than 2 years ago). It needs a bit of work, so I'm going to let my cousin live there and fix various things in lieu of rent and utilities. He's a professional carpenter/handyman, so I think it's a fair exchange.

So, that makes 3.
Sweet.

Some keep predicting a drop here in Toronto, but so far it hasn't happened. It's kind of plateau'd, but not actually dropped... yet. (As of July 2008, prices are up 1.5% year-over-year in my city. Interestingly, the average price across the country is 1.0001X that of last year.)

I could see a 10% drop, but I'm not necessarily expecting the 30% drops like in certain places in the US. I hope not anyway, as I'm not in the market for another house as I bought last year. So my money is going into this (to answer the thread question) ONE house I bought.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2008, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
There is no question that Obama is rich, that his political career has not been squeaky clean, etc. but on the other hand, it was McCain's campaign that decided to try the elitist and celebrity narrative on Obama, and clearly now this has exploded in their face. Sorry, but these are the sorts of penalties that you have to pay from time to time when you go the negative ad route, and this applies to Obama's campaign too.
Obama couldn't even pay of his student loans until his book started selling after that DNC speech. He's pretty well-off now, but before the books he wasn't rich by any means.

I own one home (well, I own a tiny piece of it, and will own the rest over the next 29 years). It's a big home, but it's the only one I have. Aside from a few friends who have lake houses, and people who can't sell their old houses in this terrible economy, nobody I know owns multiple homes.

McCain's rich wife is no boon to his campaign or his image. Her refusal to disclose all her financial records (which I don't disagree with on principle) didn't help either. It basically makes him look like a rich guy who can't relate and has no idea how much people pay for stuff.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

tie
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2008, 09:53 PM

I have trouble paying my own $500,000 monthly credit card bills, who doesn't? And God only knows how many houses I own. I think McCain can relate to me.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2008, 07:48 AM

I own one place now overseas and planning to buy a second home in the US this winter, but I spend at least half the year in a third (rented) place, also overseas but in a different country.

I don't mind that McCain has multiple homes... lots of people do, but to "not know" and such, well, he handled it poorly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules