Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Protecting My Black Macbook Screen

Protecting My Black Macbook Screen
mackandproud
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2009, 02:22 AM

Hello,

I have a 2008 black macbook and I love it. I've been using it almost exclusively as a stay at home model, but will find plenty of use for it on the road at this point.

My question is about how to protect the lcd screen during transport. When I owned a pismo powerbook, I simply used an 8 x 11 sheet of paper, and this was more than sufficient to protect the screen from keyboard marks.

Blackbook owners, how do you protect your screen when you transport it? Do you use marware's screen protector, or macally's, or just a sheet of paper?

ibook_steve
Jan 20, 2009, 02:35 AM

Welcome to our forums!

The problem of keyboard marks on the screen has long been fixed on just about every machine after the titanium Powerbooks. It really isn't something you need to worry about. If you must, I'm sure any of the ones you mention would fit the bill.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

shrugs*
Jan 20, 2009, 10:19 AM

I agree, my old Macbook was used almost exclusively as a road warrior companion and I didn't run into the issue. However the corners of the top lid had hairline cracks after the first year.. but from the sounds of it you're a more responsible owner than myself
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Welcome to our forums!

The problem of keyboard marks on the screen has long been fixed on just about every machine after the titanium Powerbooks. It really isn't something you need to worry about. If you must, I'm sure any of the ones you mention would fit the bill.

Steve
It still happens on the current models.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 20, 2009, 06:56 PM

I kept the foam sheet that shipped between my MBP's keyboard and screen until I found a microfiber screen cleaner cloth from RadTech It keeps the keyboard and screen separated, it works great as a screen cleaner, and it's available in a lot of cool colors. Hard to beat for around $15.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2009, 07:46 PM

Yes, I kept the foam sheet also. So this item didn't leave any scuff or abrasion marks on the glass screen? I felt completely comfortable using regular paper on my G3 powerbook, since it was a matte screen.

As an update, I've got a marware pack on order to protect the palmrests, and a keyboard protector when I type and a skin for the entire computer.

My question is this: can I use the radtech microfiber cloth in addition to the marware protector, or will this affect how the screen closes?

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2009, 02:11 AM

I got pretty much everything: keyboard protector for typing, wrist rest protector, and macbook outer case protector. The only thing left uncovered is the trackpad button, but I think there's a liquid cleaner for that. I think I'm set!

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2009, 12:40 PM

http://www.shaggymac.com/

I've had these for all my laptops... great products.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I kept the foam sheet that shipped between my MBP's keyboard and screen until I found a microfiber screen cleaner cloth from RadTech It keeps the keyboard and screen separated, it works great as a screen cleaner, and it's available in a lot of cool colors. Hard to beat for around $15.
Plus, you can get custom logos embossed on the RadTech.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2009, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Plus, you can get custom logos embossed on the RadTech.
I didn't know that, but it's a cool option. Marketing and fundraiser options come to mind... Hmmmmmm..........

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2009, 09:02 PM

As an update, the marware wrist rest protector is pretty darn nice. It includes a keyboard cover as well. Some slight criticisms: the wrist rest is folded, and it leaves weird creases in the leather when you do unfold it. The keyboard cover, for whatever reason, is not designed to cover all of the keyboard keys. But it does protect the sccreen pretty well practically speaking.

The "skin" I ordered was actually a plastic cover for the computer. I was not impressed. It's pretty bulky and heavy, and makes the computer too big to slip into my sleeve.

The silicone keyboard protector seems pretty darn slick, in a good way. It's really tacky, so you can type quickly on it. The stickiness also keeps it adhered to the computer keyboard as well. Nicely done.

Forum Links
Forum Rules