Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Logic MIDI/Analog question

Logic MIDI/Analog question
starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2014, 02:04 AM

I'm trying to decide if I should get Logic Pro for my synth setup. I have two synths - ESQ-1 and a Roland D-50. I want to use Logic Pro for MIDI recording as well as analog mastering. The problem is this: can Logic Pro handle MIDI playback and analog recording at the same time. Meaning: Logic Pro is the sequencer so it's responsible for the MIDI playback, but I'll need it to record the analog output for mastering. Can it do this? Unfortunately there's no trial version so I can't test it myself. Thanks.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2014, 06:18 AM

Of course it can. There would be absolutely no point in offering both external MIDI and audio tracks if it weren't possible to record the audio from synths being played via MIDI.

(Also, you're referring to "mixing", not mastering. Mastering is what happens when the final mix — where all sounds and levels have been adjusted, and automation has been set — is fine-tuned and polished for release. This is not usually done by the same person responsible for mixing the track.)

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2014, 11:45 AM

Just making sure before dropping $200. With Garageband, you can press record and it'll play back tracks you've already recorded while recording other tracks, but as I've found in software - you can't assume anything. Thanks.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Just making sure before dropping $200. With Garageband, you can press record and it'll play back tracks you've already recorded while recording other tracks, but as I've found in software - you can't assume anything. Thanks.
GarageBand does not offer external MIDI tracks, only internal software instruments.

It is safe to say that Logic can do EVERYTHING GarageBand can do, in far more detail, and much more — except lessons.

No harm in asking, of course.

Forum Links
Forum Rules