Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Font Management

Font Management
_nmk
May 20, 2004, 04:34 PM

Hi guys,

I know tons has been written about this, but I cannot weed out the personal rants and frustrations and arrive at a functional solution.

I currently have a few fonts installed other than what comes with Panther. I would like to organise them in sets, and be able to turn a set on or off, depending on whether I need it or not. And by trun or and off I mean hiding from applications and from Panther itself.

Font Book - well, is it me or does it just plain not work? When I disable a font, it still keeps showing up in Illustrator. And I even restart Illustrator between checks... *sigh*

Also Panther came with some fonts I would neve use, like many Asian character fonts, and some funny ones, and even dingbats. I don't need them, but am scared of deleting them, as I fear my system might need them for some reason and stop working if I do it. I want to DISABLE them so that they don't show up in any font lists.

I also plan on putting the entire Adobe Font Folio, and only hear horror stories of increased login times and exploding Font Books... I want to organise it so that I only activate whatever fonts I need as to keep font lists short.

Any ideas whether this can be achieved with Font Book? Or some other software like Suitcase or Font Agent Pro...

Many thanks in advance,
_nmk

Macanoid
Senior User
May 20, 2004, 05:13 PM

In your case I suggest getting the new Font Agent Pro 2.1 - it's an outstanding font manager, much better that even the latest Suitcase. Download the 30-day demo and find out if it's for you.

barbarian
Senior User
May 20, 2004, 07:04 PM

I've tried FontBook, Suticase, Font Reserve, and Font Agent Pro.

For my money FontAgentPro (the recent 2.1 release) is by far the best of the bunch.

FontBook breaks down very quickly... I'd avoid it if at all possible.

kuupoika
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2004, 03:36 AM

I came across something the other day that Alsoft's Masterjuggler is on 10.3 now... that was a very useable font manager under 8 and 9... much easier to understand and use than Suitcase... and very stable... any one used it in 10.3????

Cheers

Macanoid
Senior User
May 21, 2004, 04:56 AM

Masterjuggler is an ok program but has one major flaw :: no auto-activation, so basically useless if you use Adobe, Quark and Macromedia programs regularly. Just give Font Agent Pro 2.1 a try - not only will you be pleasantly surprised, you're also sure that the fonts that pass the FAP scan are ok for problem-free use.!!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
May 21, 2004, 05:32 AM

let's hope FontBook 2.0 actually works well enough that third-party applications are not needed.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

workerbee
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by Macanoid:
Masterjuggler is an ok program but has one major flaw (snip)
MasterJuggler ist also really slow when handling lots of fonts, or at least it was when I used it -- haven't tried the latest version yet.
FontAgent Pro 2.1 looks very promising, though -- finally something usable on OS X!
Now if only we had the Type Reunion functionality in Macromedia software, ie. if Font Card was stable, or You control: Fonts available�
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Forum Links
Forum Rules