Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Firewire petition

Firewire petition (Page 3)
Powerbook
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 06:37 PM

I remember when Apple tried to save ten cents from every machine when they took the sound in port away [ ] . Well after a bunch of complaints, the next machine had the port again.
Let's see, what happens next with Firewire if we can cause enough rampage (anyone remember in the _internal_ FW port the G3 towers had? I can believe that no one cared about it. But that is a different matter).

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by camerachris View Post
IMHO, anyone that is of the mindset that "good enough" is the way to go will be buying $500 PC laptops (that often do have FW), rather then $1300 models.
Well, you do raise an interesting point, but the implication that people will care enough to form expert opinions on their video gear means that people were buying these machines *primarily* to edit video on them.

Originally Posted by camerachris View Post
More specifically on the camcorder, the Elura was around $500 a few years ago - I would hope its even cheaper today. Are there really substantially cheaper camcorders out there (i.e., USB), regardless of quality?
That's not the right question. The question is, are the Firewire cameras in that and lower price segments being replaced by newer models with USB?

From what I gather (my own video needs are fully served by the video function of my Fuji Finepix digicam, mind you - I need Firewire for audio), this is in fact increasingly true, making Firewire obsolete in the consumer marketspace (since USB is *finally* fairly close to Firewire 400 speeds for storage use on the new MacBooks).

I'm not happy about this, but that does appear to be the way it is.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2008, 07:12 PM

i just don't understand what apple expects people with either smaller budgets (or the preference of a smaller 'book) to do with their current firewire drives, audio interfaces, cameras...

am as angry right now as i was when the new macbook was released 2 weeks ago.
( Last edited by fisherKing; Oct 29, 2008 at 10:36 PM. )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2008, 07:23 PM

This is one case where I think Apple owes some kind of explanation. Either they're going to phase out Firewire altogether, eliminate it from all but their so-called professional machines, or they just "couldn't fit it in" the new MacBook and had to cut costs. Since Firewire has become a standard, at least for a whole lot of Mac users, it would be the polite thing to do. Instead, the rumor goes around that Steve Jobs responded to someone's email with a curt "most video cams these days are USB."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2008, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
i just don't understand what apple expects people with either smaller budgets (or the preference of a smaller 'book) to do with their current firewire drives, audio interfaces, cameras...

am as angry right now as i was when the new macbook was released 2 weeks ago.
Did you notice that Apple's CHEAPEST laptop still has Firewire and a double-layer DVD burner?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2008, 04:40 AM

Did you notice that that's obviously a temporary situation?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2008, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Did you notice that that's obviously a temporary situation?
As are the remaining consumer Firewire devices.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2008, 04:55 PM

A great read from David Pogue about the new MacBook and lack of FireWire…

Last week, on the phone, I got a chance to vent my unhappiness to Steve Jobs himself. I told him about my long-held intention to edit down those 100 tapes, maybe when I'm retired.

I must admit, he gave me quite a wakeup call. He pointed out that in 10 years, there won't be any machines left that can play them.

He also mentioned that, realistically, the only time people really edit their movies is just after they've shot them. And sure enough: I've been intending to edit my tapes for 15 years now; what makes me think I'll have time to do it in the next 15?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2008, 05:06 PM

We need a second hardware vendor. Go Psystar!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
A great read from David Pogue about the new MacBook and lack of FireWire…

Last week, on the phone, I got a chance to vent my unhappiness to Steve Jobs himself. I told him about my long-held intention to edit down those 100 tapes, maybe when I'm retired.

I must admit, he gave me quite a wakeup call. He pointed out that in 10 years, there won't be any machines left that can play them.

He also mentioned that, realistically, the only time people really edit their movies is just after they've shot them. And sure enough: I've been intending to edit my tapes for 15 years now; what makes me think I'll have time to do it in the next 15?

and of course, no mention of audio. for musicians, a major option disappears with the removal of firewire.
i know A LOT of music people with powerbooks, early macbooks, ibooks. between us and those with external firewire drives...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 03:26 AM

I have resolved the issue with the JVC camcorder i brought up earlier. i have created a new thread with the steps for anyone who needs to know how ( http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...2/#post3752474 )

The lack of FW doesnt seem to be an issue for tapeless camcorders, it's more of a software issue and how Apple supports them through their software.

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules