Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Good Mac utilities to use and optimize OS X

Good Mac utilities to use and optimize OS X
donaldkepler
Sep 22, 2014, 07:10 AM

OnyX (Freeware)

Tool for maintaining, repairing and optimizing Mac OS X.

App Zapper

Uninstall any application as easily as like just drag and drop. AppZapper - The uninstaller Apple forgot.

RAR Expander (Freeware)

This freeware tool helps in extracting the files contained in RAR archives. RAR Expander

Speed up Mac Tool

This tool list all the duplicates files, folders, applications and unwanted junks, caches and delete those to speed up Mac OS X. Free Download SpeedUp Mac to improve your Mac performance and CleanUp unwanted data.

CocoaMysql-SBG (Freeware)

Manage MySQL database either locally or over the Internet by adding/removing tables or manipulate data and fields. http://theonline.org/cocoamysql

P
Sep 22, 2014, 02:34 PM

That is a curious list. The first three are commonly recommended general purpose utilities. The last appears to be an abandoned project, which is why the link does not connect to anything. The fourth is what piques my interest. It is much less known than the others, the description is at best misleading (deleting caches slows down your Mac. It is useful to save space, or for troubleshooting, but it does not speed up anything), and I do believe that you have linked to it before. Mind disclosing if you have any connection with the publisher?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules