Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Speed Differences

Speed Differences
ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2003, 07:08 AM

Got a question for you guys. Is there a significant difference in speed from the 867MHz to the 1Ghz 15 models?

Would I see any difference in daily activites such as Word, iTunes, Safari, iChat?

pete
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2003, 07:41 AM

I just sold my 800mhz tibook (roughly equivalent to the 867mhz) and bought a 1ghz. The difference for everyday tasks like you describe is really negligible. Unless you're doing graphics work and need the extra memory or need the superdrive, I'd say get the 867 and use the extra money for something else - like an airport card, more memory etc.

acX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2003, 08:41 AM

I was kind of wondering the same thing:
I can get a new 1Ghz Ti for $2239. I probably would not use the internal airport , so i could sell it.

As an alternative, I could configure a Ti867 with a 60GB drive and Superdrive for a total price of $1994.

I would guess that the little extra speed and 64MB vs 32MB of video ram might be worth the extra $200. Less than $200 if I sell the Airport card in the 1GHz

ac

pete
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2003, 12:42 PM

I'd say that in the long term, having 64mb vram will be useful for upcoming OS updates. And if there's only a $200 difference it probably is worth getting the 1 ghz. I'm EXTREMELY happy with my new superdrive titanium.

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2003, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by pete:
I'd say that in the long term, having 64mb vram will be useful for upcoming OS updates. And if there's only a $200 difference it probably is worth getting the 1 ghz. I'm EXTREMELY happy with my new superdrive titanium.
For me at my school it is more like a $400 difference. All the computers at my school comes with Airport installed so I don't have to worry about that.

I had a 800 before and I sold it thinking that the new 15" was going to be out two weeks ago. The 800 was good speed for me.

Another reason I worry about the 1ghz is the fan always being on.

pete
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2003, 09:03 AM

You know, it's strange but my 1 ghz fan is almost never on. I was worried too, but it's been fine. Occasionally it comes on, but it definitely is not very loud. I'm extremely sensitive to heat and noise in my laptops and this is really the first apple notebook that handles both well, except for my old Pismo. the 1ghz doesnt' get hot (or eveb warm!) on top, only the bottom - unlike the 800 which got pretty warm on top and hot on the bottom. It's a very comfortable machine to use.

I'd still say that if the difference is $400 and you get airport with the 867mhz, that's a better choice. The 1 ghz might be more future proof (an oxymoron in computer life), but nobody can predict the future, so we might as well do what's good for the present. If you thought the 800 was good, the 867 will not disappoint you - better screen, less heat, better GPU, more scratch resistant paint etc....

Good luck!

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2003, 05:54 PM

Pete: The 867/1Ghz, had a better screen?!?!

pete
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 08:10 AM

I think it did. I was in the Apple store just after the 867 was introduced and there were 800mhz units next to the 867 units and there was quite a difference in brightness between the two using the same settings. The 867 was without any doubt brighter. It could of course be due to being on in the store for a longer period, but I seem to remember others reporting the same thing.

At the same time, unless you're sitting with both computers, I'm sure you'll be very happy with either in terms of brightness.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by pete:
I think it did. I was in the Apple store just after the 867 was introduced and there were 800mhz units next to the 867 units and there was quite a difference in brightness between the two using the same settings. The 867 was without any doubt brighter. It could of course be due to being on in the store for a longer period, but I seem to remember others reporting the same thing.

At the same time, unless you're sitting with both computers, I'm sure you'll be very happy with either in terms of brightness.
Yeah... isn't the 800 ---> 867/1ghz move also the move where they changed the native resolution (and consequently the LCD) from 1176x768 ----> 1280x854? No surprise the display is brighter... it's an entirely different display.

There are a few other differences as well. The 800's had an (I believe) RADEON 7500 w/ 16Mb of VRAM standard... The 867/1Ghz models have the RADEON 9000 w/ 32/64Mb respectively.

Also, I think the new TiBooks are the first to have the little plastic "slits" on either side of the palmrest for improved airport reception.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

pete
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 09:53 AM

Actually it was the 667/800mhz version that changed to a higher resolution. The 800mhz and 667 had 32mb vram too. And the little plastic windows for airport were there from the 1st generation of tiboks....

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 03:15 PM

Yeah 667/800 went to the higher res.

They had a Radeon 7500 w/ 32mb of Ram.

The 867/1Ghz had a Radeon 9000 w/ 32/64MB.

Hmmm. . . it is just interesting since I have never heard of the new ones having a better screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules