Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPods w/ Windows XP

iPods w/ Windows XP
ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 03:37 PM

Has anyone tried this? Does it intergrate pretty well? Are there any major problems?

I was thinking about getting one for my brother though the iPod and Powerbook package, but he only has a Windows machine.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 11:58 AM

it works fine
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 12:26 PM

As long as you have functioning firewire ports, you shouldn't have too many problems connecting and syncing your ipod. just getting the firewire ports to work correctly can be a hassle esp if you are using a cheap card or anything besides windows xp. The included musicmatch software is of course terrible so either get xplay or wait it out for iTunes for Windows. I hope Apple can make iTunes for windows as user friendly as the mac version.

I bought a windows ipod for my sister w the intention of using it on her pc. in the end we grew frustrated w/ the music match software and so i flashed her ipod w the apple firmware and now we just sync her ipod and my ipod to my mac. there is so much room on our ipods that we can share one music library that contains both of our mp3s. i'm eager to try itunes for windows.

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2003, 06:07 PM

Hmmm. . . I don't think I have a firewire port, I'll have to check when I get home.

How slow is USB 1.2 in transferring files?

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2003, 09:45 PM

USB 1.2 takes a good while to transfer songs, you are better off getting a firewire card. The only thing that I never liked anout the ipod on windows was the software available. Media Cneter 9 was about the closest you got the iTunes but I found it to be rather buggy and overpriced to buy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules