Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I get way too much email

I get way too much email
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 10:46 PM

I get way too much email, and it's not even a question of spam. I'm subscribed to too many things. Facebook nags me way too often with non-essential messages from people and groups I know or help administrate. I get way too much electronics sales messages. And a few times in the recent past I've missed some important correspondence as a result because it gets buried in my inbox. How do other 'NNers deal with this digital malady?

I'm thinking I need to fork my email by creating a high priority box, but I'm afraid the same problem will occur within a couple of years.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 11:01 PM

I find the unsubscribe button for almost everything. I also don't get any Facebook emails unless someone adds me as a friend.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 11:05 PM

I should have done what I've been meaning to do for a while - have one high priority address and one list mail address. But invariably when I've tried something like that in the past, the list mail address just stops getting checked. I do care about some of that list mail, and that's part of my problem.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

reader50
Administrator
Feb 9, 2011, 11:07 PM

Kill a bunch of subs. Opt out of the marketing notifications. If you want to buy something, you can dig up the relevant info then.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 11:37 PM

Server side mail rules.

Cold Warrior
Feb 9, 2011, 11:46 PM

Yep. Just a few rules send nearly all my subs to the Trash. I review it, sorted by subject or sender, about once a week. If there's nothing compelling, I empty it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 10, 2011, 12:01 AM

Three addresses. One for important stuff (family, personal email), one for lists (forums, facebook, online ordering), and one for junk(sites that require an email address). The first two go to Mail.app and the third I check when I need it for something.

bstone
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2011, 12:47 AM

I under Thunderbird. I also have a LOT of folders under my inbox and tons of filters. I keep it organized, neat and perfectly manageable. I also click the unsubscribe button a lot.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
I under Thunderbird. I also have a LOT of folders under my inbox and tons of filters. I keep it organized, neat and perfectly manageable. I also click the unsubscribe button a lot.

This is a great point! I use Postbox and make heavy use of the unsubscribe feature as well. Like I've been saying for years, Mail.app really needs this feature, it is literally a game changer.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Like I've been saying for years, Mail.app really needs this feature, it is literally a game changer.
Huh ?

Most commercial emails have an Unsubscribe URL.
Click it, Safari opens, click again. Done.

Works well for me *shrug*

I don't know how often you unsubscribe to stuff, but I find doing this maybe once a week.
It's not like I subscribe to all that much crap in the first place.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Huh ?

Most commercial emails have an Unsubscribe URL.
Click it, Safari opens, click again. Done.

Works well for me *shrug*

I don't know how often you unsubscribe to stuff, but I find doing this maybe once a week.
It's not like I subscribe to all that much drink in the first place.

-t

I was thinking he meant the mailbox/folder unsubscribe button, not the mailing list unsubscribe button.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I was thinking he meant the mailbox/folder unsubscribe button, not the mailing list unsubscribe button.
That doesn't make sense in the context of what bstone was posting.

Why would he OFTEN unsubscribe a mailbox ?

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That doesn't make sense in the context of what bstone was posting.

Why would he OFTEN unsubscribe a mailbox ?

-t

Because he can? I do this all of the time... I check up on some lists I'm subscribed to periodically, and when I'm done unsubscribe so that I don't have to scroll through these mailboxes/folders.

The option to specify which folders should be checked for new messages is also very useful, particularly when using server side mail rules.

Paying for Postbox was some of my best money ever spent.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 01:50 AM

Good for you and the Postbox programmers.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 01:55 AM

Thanks!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 04:24 AM

I have a separate mailbox in Mail.app for the mailing list I'm subscribed to (sorting rule dumps the emails in there).

Every once in a while, I'll head there to look something up. Other than that, it just sits down in its nested folder in the sidebar, and I neither need to scroll by it nor see it on a daily basis.

What advantage am I missing that would make it worth paying money for?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 04:43 AM

Well, you don't have to pay money for Postbox, these features are available in Thunderbird too, but here is what you are missing:

- The ability to make server side rules work with receiving proper notification of messages delivered to a folder
- Better performance (because of Mail's insistence on rummaging through irrelevant folders on mail checks doing god-knows-what)
- The ability to hide certain shared folders on mailboxes where you can't manage the hierarchy as you've described

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 04:46 AM

So you run your own mail server besson? I thought one could run into issues doing that.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
So you run your own mail server besson? I thought one could run into issues doing that.
Yes, I do. One can run into some issues, one has to know what they're doing, but this just happens to be a comfortable area for me. In one of my past jobs I helped maintain IMAP, SMTP, spam filter, and web-based email servers for 150,000 some odd users.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 05:41 AM

Makes sense. I heard that there are some complicated issues regarding hosting your own server and domain names as far as spam filters are concerned, but I guess you have those kinds of issues handled. I really admire your technical expertise.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Makes sense. I heard that there are some complicated issues regarding hosting your own server and domain names as far as spam filters are concerned, but I guess you have those kinds of issues handled. I really admire your technical expertise.

You should see my ass if you admire my technical expertise! (thanks for the compliment)

There can be some complicated issues, there are all sorts of different spam techniques and different filters, both open and proprietary. It's a constant arms race with the botnets.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2011, 07:51 AM

I'll suggest a combination of the above recommendations. I have separate addresses for different things. One Gmail account for business, another for personal. An address through my ISP for certain things, a couple different web-based addresses for other things.

I use server side rules as much as possible for the addresses I have coming into my mail client-Google's are pretty darn good. And I filter incoming mail by sender or category so certain professional items go into a professional folder, tech items go into various tech folders, etc. For me, organization is key to being able to deal with everything coming in.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules