Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV companies / advertising whine (pic)

TV companies / advertising whine (pic)
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 10:55 AM

So, I'm watching last night's Gene Simmons' Family Jewels.

What the hell is wrong with TV companies? All the way through there's some really quite intrusive advertising popping up during the show.

Here ya go. Those blokes at the bottom are moving around, bobbing their heads up and down in a distracting manner:

WTF?

Where will this end? The actual show you want to watch in the top left quarter of the screen and ads for other shows in the rest?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 10:58 AM

Yup this has been going on for a while now.

Tell me was it audible? That's the new thing now.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Yup this has been going on for a while now.
So why hasn't anyone stormed the TV HQ and burned it to the ground?

Tell me was it audible? That's the new thing now.
This one wasn't, fortunately

WTF's going on? What's the point in them advertising a show only to F it up by advertising other shows during it? I really don't get what kind of mentality dreams up that sort of stuff.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
WTF's going on? What's the point in them advertising a show only to F it up by advertising other shows during it? I really don't get what kind of mentality dreams up that sort of stuff.
They want you to buy the DVDs to get to see the ad-free versions.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 11:09 AM

So why hasn't anyone stormed the TV HQ and burned it to the ground?
Not that I like it, but I'm curious how you're going stop them.

I don't know, but it just occurred to me that this is the only way they can guarantee you see their promos if you have a Tivo.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
They want you to buy the DVDs to get to see the ad-free versions.
I thought of that, but I don't buy it. It's such a low % of people that'd matter to.

andi*pandi
Apr 2, 2007, 11:14 AM

I don't know, but it just occurred to me that this is the only way they can guarantee you see their promos if you have a Tivo.
I'm betting this.

When they're noisy and intrusive like that, they are very annoying. Especially bravo uses this.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 11:15 AM

FX, TNT, & USA are the ones I notice it on.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 11:18 AM

These really annoy me when I watch HBO here in Taiwan. I don't know if it's the same in the States, but HBO has no adverts (US: commercials/ads), but loads of these annoying things. I was watching some romantic film starring Reese Whatshername with my girlfriend and at a point that was supposed to be all serious and emotional down comes King Kong from the top of the screen, waving his arms at little planes. Actually it was bloody hilarious, most interesting point of the film. But I agree, a bad trend.

(I wanna point out how much I hate the US way of doing ads too, I mean having the opening credits and then straight to ads, with over 5 minutes of the programme being ads. These style is catching on in the UK now and is very annoying. Thank god for the BBC; Doctor Who is never ruined by adverts).

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
(I wanna point out how much I hate the US way of doing ads too, I mean having the opening credits and then straight to ads, with over 5 minutes of the programme being ads.
I don't think tv companies have realized that I just tune in 5 minutes late. I'm basically guaranteed to miss nothing.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 11:35 AM

I don't think tv companies have realized that I just tune in 5 minutes late. I'm basically guaranteed to miss nothing.
That's why now they've started putting bits of the show before the intro sequence.

What I really hate though is the 'last time on' bit they put in every single show now. I know what happened last time! I watched it the first time! That's why I'm watching the new episode!

The 4400 is particularly bad though. It's intro sequence, last time on, opening bit of this episode, another intro sequence, and then the show. With commercials thrown in the mix of course.

Is it any wonder people actually go to the trouble of finding and downloading torrents of their favorites shows?

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Is it any wonder people actually go to the trouble of finding and downloading torrents of their favorites shows?
It's no trouble.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 11:46 AM

It's no trouble.
It's about as much work as changing the channel everytime a commercial comes on.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 11:48 AM

Google must be the most comprehensive torrent search engine available and finding shows is not much of a challenge. Still, I can't bothered most of the time.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 11:59 AM

It's about as much work as changing the channel everytime a commercial comes on.
...I've just taken more trouble to type this than it takes to grab new eps of my favourite shows. It's all automatic, no Doof intervention required.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 12:10 PM

It's no trouble.
It's more trouble than setting up a season pass on TiVO. But then again, I save quite a lot of money by not owning a TV or any of the accompanying stuff. Although as soon as I have the money I intend to get an ~46" (fit to the space) 1080p LCD TV for watching all the pretty HD content that's out there for download. I'm also very tempted to get DirecTV with the cheapest package just so that I can get Setanta Sports.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 12:29 PM

The implied message the networks are giving when they do this is "This program is crap and we, the ****tards we are, have no problem spewing graffiti all over it." The next step will be selling the bottom of the screen to commercial sponsors.

Come the revolution they ain't gone be no' mo' network promo departments.

Cipher13
Apr 2, 2007, 12:38 PM

I don't get most forms of advertising. I suppose they simply intend to subliminally focus your mind on their product, because if there's any conscious thought whatsoever it'd be strongly negative.

I don't watch TV, I don't listen to the radio, and I never visit websites if they have annoying flash ads (if I visit a site for the first time and the ads annoy me, that's it, never again). If I buy something it's because I already wanted it.

I ****ing hate advertising.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
I don't get most forms of advertising. I suppose they simply intend to subliminally focus your mind on their product, because if there's any conscious thought whatsoever it'd be strongly negative.
Well its pretty simple the goal of advertising is to sell products. So if you create a marketing program that bugs people (like what the OP is complaining about) they've already won - product recognition, getting the brand out to the masses is the name of the game.

[QUOTE]I don't watch TV, I don't listen to the radio, and I never visit websites if they have annoying flash ads (if I visit a site for the first time and the ads annoy me, that's it, never again). If I buy something it's because I already wanted it.
[QUOTE]
You're missing out on a lot, by not listening to the radio, watching the tv and avoiding websites.

I agree with OP, that stuff bugs me too, but there's little that we can do (short of turning of the tv as Cipher has done)

I ****ing hate advertising.
Well I got news for you, be prepared to start seeing it in all areas of your life. There's no way to avoid it, buses, billboards, stairways to the subway, and even trucks driving around the city with electronic billboards.
Michael

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 01:00 PM

Prepare to start seeing it in all areas of life?!

Cipher13
Apr 2, 2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Well its pretty simple the goal of advertising is to sell products. So if you create a marketing program that bugs people (like what the OP is complaining about) they've already won - product recognition, getting the brand out to the masses is the name of the game.
Well, no, they haven't already won... as I said, if I buy something, it's because that's what I want. I don't walk through a store and see something then go "ooh, that was advertised during neighbours! ...must... have...". I'm not talking about the masses here, as they'll always be won over by simple mindgames. Advertising has a negative impact on me if anything... I'm gonna be much, much less likely to buy something that has annoyed me in the past.

You're missing out on a lot, by not listening to the radio, watching the tv and avoiding websites.
Like what? I don't think I'm missing out on a damn thing, to be honest, apart from the mass brainwashing taking place through those mediums.

Well I got news for you, be prepared to start seeing it in all areas of your life. There's no way to avoid it, buses, billboards, stairways to the subway, and even trucks driving around the city with electronic billboards.
That's not news to me, and while you can't avoid it, that doesn't mean you can't ignore it. For the record I didn't 'turn off my tv' out of protest, it was out of an absolute distaste for everything on. So much crap.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 01:09 PM

Like what? I don't think I'm missing out on a damn thing, to be honest, apart from the mass brainwashing taking place through those mediums.
Sports, arts, comedies, dramas, documentaries. TV is a medium, it is not evil in of itself, though there are a ton of stuff that is not helpful, that does not mean there's nothing good on.
Michael

Railroader
Banned
Apr 2, 2007, 01:41 PM

record I didn't 'turn off my tv' out of protest, it was out of an absolute distaste for everything on. So much crap.
And yet you still come to the forums...

Cipher13
Apr 2, 2007, 02:15 PM

Sports, arts, comedies, dramas, documentaries. TV is a medium, it is not evil in of itself, though there are a ton of stuff that is not helpful, that does not mean there's nothing good on.
Obviously, but I don't blame light itself for transmitting the images of ugly people to my eyes. Is there a better way I should refer to the content transmitted through the medium of 'television'?

Sports? Crap. Arts? Crap. Comedies? Mostly crap. Dramas? Mostly crap. Documentaries? Mostly reruns.

For the sake of this comment, the word 'crap' means something I have no interest in whatsoever.

I watch Prison Break, Scrubs, and the occasional BS crime show. All of which I download and/or buy on DVD (I'd use the iTunes store if the Aus version sold TV shows, but it doesn't).

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
And yet you still come to the forums...
Oh, this place is comedy gold.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
When they're noisy and intrusive like that, they are very annoying. Especially bravo uses this.
When they're noisy and intrusive like that, you stop watching that network and tell them why. When their ratings/marketshare drops low enough they'll get the message.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 04:20 PM

Sports? Crap. Arts? Crap. Comedies? Mostly crap. Dramas? Mostly crap. Documentaries? Mostly reruns.
wow such a sad and limited life experience you have. I'm not saying you should watch tv, but you seemed so closed minded towards so many things that give richness to our lives.

Edit: I hope you mean sports and arts on tv.
I've read and seen shakespeare, been to see plays, orchestra , been to museums, played (and attended games) football, hockey, baseball and golf , if you think that is crap or not worthy, then that just sad.
Michael

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 04:33 PM

I generally agree with you there (hence me not owning a TV) except for one thing: sports. TV is a great medium for sports. If it weren't for TV I'd almost never get to watch live rugby, and it would be next to impossible (cost-wise, anyway) for me to watch live international rugby. There's nothing quite so fun as heading down to the local pub and watching rugby with a bunch of other fans. Way more satisfying than if I download it and watch it on my computer, and an affordable alternative to flying/moving to a country that actually plays rugby. Hell, I usually wake up at 10, but I was waking up at 6 or 7 am on the weekends to get down to the pub on time during the Six Nations.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 05:23 PM

What especially Pro7 and RTL II have started doing here in Germany is those annoyers ANY SINGLE ****ING TIME A SONG COMES ON IN A MOVIE.

Some character sits in a car and turns on the radio to a random station BEEP BEEP BEEP (mobile phone ring) the bastardly thing blocks the bottom 1/4 of the screen and the words GET THE (NAME OF MOVIE) SONNY & CHER RINGTONE FOR YOUR CELLPHONE NOW: SEND AN SMS WITH NOMSAC1 to 66546 FOR €1,99!!!

And the same thing for the next ****ing song that comes on in the background in some other scene.

There has to be some stupid moron who falls for that ****, but they've certainly lost me as a viewer until that stops.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 05:45 PM

I watch Prison Break, Scrubs, and the occasional BS crime show. All of which I download and/or buy on DVD (I'd use the iTunes store if the Aus version sold TV shows, but it doesn't).
You know I like you Cipher...but Prison Break? Yuck, no thanks.

I'll give you a for Scrubs though, great show.

Besides Simpsons (syndicated, not that new garbage) Seinfeld, Scrubs, Family Guy, and American Dad I don't turn the TV on unless it's a DVD or video game.

My parents always used to mute commercials and talk until the show came back on, it annoyed me back then but now I see the light.

I doubt I've bought one item directly because of any advertisement and I like it that way. It's to bad (like Doofy pointed out) that now ads are sliming their way into the actual show and eating up precious screen space. Bastards!!!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 06:22 PM

I watch Prison Break..
say it isn't so!!

**** that's some bad television. Man. Well other than that you're good in my book

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
say it isn't so!!

**** that's some bad television. Man. Well other than that you're good in my book

V
I actually kinda like it...

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 2, 2007, 06:35 PM

The small ones that show up, tell you that another show is coming up, and then go away (even if - SOMETIMES - they move) don't bother me much. It's the big ones, or the full-width ribbons at the bottom that almost always cut off something crucial to whatever I'm watching that tick me off.

I don't watch much TV anyway, but this sort of thing just keeps me away from advertisers. Or watching a show when it's broadcast. I like getting a whole show on DVD because I don't have to deal with this sort of fertilizer.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cipher13
Apr 3, 2007, 01:06 AM

wow such a sad and limited life experience you have. I'm not saying you should watch tv, but you seemed so closed minded towards so many things that give richness to our lives.

Edit: I hope you mean sports and arts on tv.
I've read and seen shakespeare, been to see plays, orchestra , been to museums, played (and attended games) football, hockey, baseball and golf , if you think that is crap or not worthy, then that just sad.
For clarity, yes, I do mean on television.

Why is it that you base your opinion of my "life experience" on my television-watching habits? I think television is probably the single least significant aspect of my life. I think that you're saying my situation is "sad" is more reflective of yours.

I'd simply rather go outside than watch television, in the end.

Cipher13
Apr 3, 2007, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I generally agree with you there (hence me not owning a TV) except for one thing: sports.
I can see how it's definitely a good medium, but I just have no personal interest in watching a bunch of meatheads running into each other in pursuit of a ball.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
You know I like you Cipher...but Prison Break? Yuck, no thanks.
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
say it isn't so!!

V
You guys seriously don't like it? I think it's a great show

It's damn entertaining, which is what counts in my book. And the redhead is hot.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2007, 08:06 AM

For clarity, yes, I do mean on television.

Why is it that you base your opinion of my "life experience" on my television-watching habits? I
Actually I took your comments about sports/arts/theater etc about being crap as a general comment not one about them on tv. I agree with you wholeheartedly, its better to be outside experiencing life then it is sitting in front of the tube. I myself choose to avoid it when I can, but I also enjoy watching sports and such.

sorry for the mixup.
Michael

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2007, 08:35 AM

Where will this end? The actual show you want to watch in the top left quarter of the screen and ads for other shows in the rest?
I hear ye. But that's what it is already. In Germany we have at least one channel who does this.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2007, 06:43 PM

I can see how it's definitely a good medium, but I just have no personal interest in watching a bunch of meatheads running into each other in pursuit of a ball.
I used to feel the same way. Then I discovered that it was really mostly American sports that I can't stand watching. I don't imagine that's your problem though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules