Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5 to 10.8: Trouble importing email

10.5 to 10.8: Trouble importing email
HamSandwich
Aug 12, 2012, 02:43 PM

Hello!

I finally did it and migrated my mum's nearly entire iMac to 10.8 from Leopard... Most works fine, this and that was somewhat unexpected... - the main problem that remains is with importing emails.

As far as I can see, the email structure in 10.8 is different; with OS X upgrades in the past, I would just copy the 'Mail' folder from the personal Library folder and Mail.app's preference file. When I tried, Mail did nothing, didn't read the files. It read the structure, though, so it shows all personally created folders in Mail.

I tried manual importing of the .mbox files and it looked good so far, but I'm not sure, even this looks a bit strange, as if the structure was messed up somewhere.

Don't know what to think... Did anyone try? Was it a mistake? I googled awhile a few hours ago and found that with Lion, there was a special update for the 10.5 migration assistant, so upgrading was much easier; I didn't try, I just took the folders. Hmm...?

Night... Pete

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
Hello!
I finally did it and migrated my mum's nearly entire iMac to 10.8 from Leopard... Most works fine, this and that was somewhat unexpected... - the main problem that remains is with importing emails.
As far as I can see, the email structure in 10.8 is different; with OS X upgrades in the past, I would just copy the 'Mail' folder from the personal Library folder and Mail.app's preference file. When I tried, Mail did nothing, didn't read the files. It read the structure, though, so it shows all personally created folders in Mail.
I tried manual importing of the .mbox files and it looked good so far, but I'm not sure, even this looks a bit strange, as if the structure was messed up somewhere.
Don't know what to think... Did anyone try? Was it a mistake? I googled awhile a few hours ago and found that with Lion, there was a special update for the 10.5 migration assistant, so upgrading was much easier; I didn't try, I just took the folders. Hmm...?
Night... Pete
I'm assuming this is a POP email account, and not an IMAP account? My advice would be to switch to an IMAP account permanently, but if nothing more setting up a secondary IMAP account in your original email program would aid with migrating to your new email client.

There have been tons of threads about POP and IMAP, so not knowing what you know or don't know I'll leave it at this for now.

HamSandwich
Aug 15, 2012, 02:34 AM

Just as a final note: While seeming inelegant (or very impractical) to some, I simply went to import the .mbox files, configured the email accounts and had to do some sorting. It took a while, but nothing more than a few hours which is ok IMO switching to a new OS. It's done and so far no problems. I simply ditched the old preference file, there were no rules anyway as they are not used on this iMac. I don't know about others, I have seen some people switching from 10.6 to 10.8, maybe it's better to think about email importing before switching; it's just always very shocking to see your emails not working... Thanks! Pete

Forum Links
Forum Rules