Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Warning Message While Repairing Permissions

Warning Message While Repairing Permissions (Page 2)
Thread Tools
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 9, 2012, 04:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I agree that the resetting of the seat position is an easier analogy, but repairing Permissions does sometimes (however rare) impact your computer's operation. If it was totally meaningless as you state above Apple would remove the operation from Disk Utility. When they do I will stop using it.
I did not say it was "totally useless". I said it is for exceedingly rare conditions. Running it randomly for no real purpose is pretty much totally useless though.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 12, 2012, 04:15 PM
 
It looks like NTFS will feature self-healing in Windows 8:

Microsoft Redesigns chkdsk For Windows 8, Improves NTFS Health Model - Slashdot


Even Microsoft is handing Apple's asses to them on the filesystem front.
     
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 12, 2012, 05:06 PM
 
It does seem odd that they seem to have given up after the non-emergence of ZFS in Leopard or Snow Leopard. I've heard no rumour of anything filesystem related with Mountain Lion either.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
amazing
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 12, 2012, 05:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post

Even Microsoft is handing Apple's asses to them on the filesystem front.
Hey! We're way into iOS here! What's this filesystem stuff???
     
P
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 13, 2012, 01:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It looks like NTFS will feature self-healing in Windows 8:

Microsoft Redesigns chkdsk For Windows 8, Improves NTFS Health Model - Slashdot


Even Microsoft is handing Apple's asses to them on the filesystem front.
It actually has self-healing already, since Vista. That piece is just about how they are integrating it with chkdsk to shorten chkdsk time. The big news is still ReFS.

MS having better filesystems than Apple is not exactly news. That has been the case ever since they launched NTFS. MS has a sort-of bad rep on this still, because FAT is the worst filesystem since we were loading data from cassettes, but NTFS is really quite good in many ways.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.
     
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Great White North
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 14, 2012, 05:47 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
So, because a few apps don't install correctly, Apple can't make Repair Permissions an automated function? What happens if these Kodak and Lotus Notes users Repaired Permissions? Do these users know not to do this?

There are MANY simple things that are automated in a computer that even our mothers can do. But, that's the point of computers ... to automate simple tasks. If repairing permissions is as necessary as you say it is, I take issue with Apple requiring users to find out about this extremely necessary task on their own and with finding the obscurely located button necessary to accomplish this task.
The users should have at the time if they applied the hacks to make them work because Kodak Prinergy was not compatible with Snow Leopard for a good year after SL was released and Lotus 7 was not compatible beyond 10.4. Hacking both of those to work on 10.6 was a pain. In the case of Prinergy ripping Java from 10.5 and replacing SL Java made it 95% functional. In the case of Lotus 7 hacking the installer to ignore what OS X version it was to install then changing few permissions in cache folders made it work.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
The users should have at the time if they applied the hacks to make them work because Kodak Prinergy was not compatible with Snow Leopard for a good year after SL was released and Lotus 7 was not compatible beyond 10.4. Hacking both of those to work on 10.6 was a pain. In the case of Prinergy ripping Java from 10.5 and replacing SL Java made it 95% functional. In the case of Lotus 7 hacking the installer to ignore what OS X version it was to install then changing few permissions in cache folders made it work.
Gah. But those outlandish scenarios would most certainly not stop Apple from making automatic permissions repair a default feature if they considered it a worthwhile or desirable maintenance procedure.

After all, if you're gonna go through all that shit just to make your obsolete hardware work, simply editing a system .plist to turn off one extra maintenance job is a trivial step to add.

Apple has not made automatic permissions repair a regular system job BECAUSE IT IS SUPERFLUOUS.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,