Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Broken ipod? Refuses to Restore.

Broken ipod? Refuses to Restore.
Dex13
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 10:23 AM

I have a 3rd Generation 15gb iPod. I don't abuse it. The screen isn't scractched and the back looks as if I just pulled it out of the box. Nonetheless it failed me today with the folder of death. I reinstall the software in disk mode using the latest version of the ipod updater on the apple website. It installs it but goes back to the "OK to Disconnect" Screen and freezes there. I then went to reset it and it just hung at the apple logo after resetting the firmware for about an hour before I reset it again. Folder of Death came up again. I have done this repeated times and have even encounterd "This ipod content structure is incorrect" or something along those lines. What Can I do?

I just woke up this morning and it's still cycling. (start up. Folder of Death start up .....)

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 6, 2005, 12:26 PM

Have a look at this thread. Some broken 3G iPod was cured by formatting it for windows. You could always try that.
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

misc
May 6, 2005, 12:37 PM

Try restoring it with a USB cable. It did the trick for me.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Nick
May 7, 2005, 03:32 AM

I had a 30GB 3G iPod and got the folder of death often. One time it happened and I could never get it back. I reformatted it many times in many different ways (MS Dos, etc) and no luck. A few times I got it to format, but it would have the wrong size -- anywhere from 9GB to 100GB. A few times I even got it to sync partly... even play some music... but when it restarted it would show the folder again. After a while, I had no luck at all with it. It simply would never restore or work.

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 02:01 PM

thanks everyone for the responses. It's much appreciated. I'll have to go to school on monday and try to reformat there, for I don't have a pc in this household. This is kind of pissing me off as that i have taken such good care of it and it was $300 out of my pocket.

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 12:12 AM

I reformatted it to fat 32. I installed the firmware via the newest updater via apple.com. It installed successfully but once again got stuck at the Ready To Disconnect Screen. WTF? it just sits there. So I waited all day for it and it was still frozen. I reset it and the awesome folder of death greets me. So I reinstall the software. Same BS. This is very annoying. Can the apple genius's help me out or am I sol? Can you erase the firmware. Do you think it's a faulty hd or battery?

SeeLos
May 27, 2005, 05:57 PM

I have the same problem, it seems, possibly worse. For one, when i plug my iPod into a PC with windows, the iPod screen just comes up with a check and "Okay to disconnect" before i can even try to format. argg....

tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2005, 11:26 AM

Welcome to hell... I am in the middle of returning my 2nd iPod... I bvought the original in December... had it replaced in March/April... going down to the Apple Store in Soho NYC to get it replaced next week... That freezing thing drives me crazy... From 1994 to now I worshipped Apple, but the iPod has done almost nothing but piss me off...

Forum Links
Forum Rules