Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Print Quality & Ink options disappeared after installing/uninstalling HP software

Print Quality & Ink options disappeared after installing/uninstalling HP software
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2007, 08:19 AM

I have an HP PSC 1510 printer. To begin with, I just added it automatically and used the printer type OS X suggested (which, according to the other machine I have where it still works is “HP PSC 1500 series”), and it printed fine.

Then I needed to scan something, and I had to install HPs own bloatware and drivers.

Since installing that, the printer options in the Print dialogue have actually, oddly I think, diminished. Where they used to be something like “Copies & Pages; Layout; Scheduler; Paper Handling; ColorSync; Cover Page; Paper Type/Quality; Borderless Printing; Real Life Digital Photography; Printer Driver Information; Summary”, the two most important ones (to me), namely “Print Quality & Ink Options” and “Borderless Printing” now disappeared, along with “Real Life Digital Photography”. Instead, they were replaced with “Error Handling” and “Paper Feed” (yoohoo).

As soon as I could, I uninstalled the HP bloatware (which ran like a dog anyway), but it didn’t make a difference. They’re still gone, as is the printer type called HP Generic Printer (or something similar) that I seem to recall being there previously. Now when I try to re-add the printer automatically, it just says there was an error.

So uninstalling HPs crapware has uninstalled OS Xs own generic HP PSC 1500 series drivers, too?!? How can I get my full print menu back?
( Last edited by Oisín; Sep 28, 2007 at 08:28 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules