Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > No "24" this season due to writers strike

No "24" this season due to writers strike
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 12:36 AM

24 falls victim to writers strike | U.S. | Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - As the writers strike entered its third day Wednesday with no end in sight, Fox said it would not air "24" this season.
The seventh season of the hit real-time series was scheduled to begin in January, but producers had completed only about one-third of its 24-episode order as of last week.

Man, that sucks. I was really looking forward to this season. They were going to switch things up by dismantling CTU and doing away with Los Angeles entirely.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 12:38 AM

Can't they use the same script they've been using for the last few years? Just change a few names and locations?

I loved that show before it got silly.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 12:46 AM

at least bring back Jacks daughter if anything.

Cold Warrior
Nov 9, 2007, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
at least bring back Jacks daughter if anything.
as long as she's limited to a few lines and looking hot. Her character is freaking annoying.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 01:16 AM

I would have been surprised if the first reply did not mention not needing writers…

You aim to please Face Ache.

-Owl

Rumor
Nov 9, 2007, 01:25 AM

I can't see how a show based off of 24 hours ends up several seasons.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 01:26 AM

i can't see how more then one thing can't happen from day to day

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 01:30 AM

They could just use old, never-produced "A-Team" scripts, sort of like how "Star Trek: The Next Generation" had to fall back on old Original Series scripts in its second season during the late-'80s writers strike.

I can just picture Jack Bauer pityin' the fool.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Lava Lamp Freak
Nov 9, 2007, 02:38 AM

LOST will probably be next.

Don't purchase any shows from iTunes or stream shows off any of the network websites.

Here is a video from the WGA.
YouTube - Why We Fight

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2007, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
LOST will probably be next.

Don't purchase any shows from iTunes or stream shows off any of the network websites.

Here is a video from the WGA.
YouTube - Why We Fight
The writers are being sodomized without lubrication by the networks! Damn. No wonder they're on strike.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Lava Lamp Freak
Nov 9, 2007, 03:20 AM

NBC pisses me off. Just thinking about how they won't renew their contract asking for more money from Apple.

The writers are just in what they are asking for. I see a day coming where studios and record companies won't be needed. All of these creative people will just be able to do stuff on their own.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 07:47 AM

I don't watch TV (for several reason, mainly because I don't have cable tv) so that doesn't affect me directly, but still, I couldn't be more mad after these motherf

This is totally unacceptable! An entire season.. an entire YEAR spoiled! 24, Family guy, CSI, The late show with David Letterman, Heroes and even Saturday Night Live will all be affected.

Go F yourself, WGA

[Edit] I understand their demands and agree with them, but I find them very selfish to let down millions of people over personal matters. This is between you and your boss, don't take people hostage/victim of your problems. Can't they seek mediation of something?
( Last edited by FireWire; Nov 9, 2007 at 08:05 AM. )

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 08:35 AM

Well I guess there's always a silver lining in every cloud and not having 24 on tv seems to be that

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
I don't watch TV (for several reason, mainly because I don't have cable tv) so that doesn't affect me directly, but still, I couldn't be more mad after these motherf

This is totally unacceptable! An entire season.. an entire YEAR spoiled! 24, Family guy, CSI, The late show with David Letterman, Heroes and even Saturday Night Live will all be affected.

Go F yourself, WGA

[Edit] I understand their demands and agree with them, but I find them very selfish to let down millions of people over personal matters. This is between you and your boss, don't take people hostage/victim of your problems. Can't they seek mediation of something?
Doood, you like television WAY too much if you get this worked up over not seeing some tv shows. Talking about hostages and victims in regards to not being able to watch television is a bit extreme.

Here's a suggestion, read some books with all your new-found free time.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 09:40 AM

Looks like Keifer gets to serve his DUI sentence uninterrupted now.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 10:44 AM

Can't they seek mediation of something?
Actually, the WGA is ready to return to the table. The studios are being d*ckheads and are saying, "we won't return to the table until we're good and ready to." Which will probably mean they'll hold out until the actors and the directors go on strike in the summer of 2008 and then once they're REALLY bleeding money, they'll come back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 10:47 AM

Jack Bauer died last season anyways.

You know, since they've said that CTU will now all be driving around in hybrids and worrying about Al Gore more than kicking terrorist ass.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
You know, since they've said that CTU will now all be driving around in hybrids and worrying about Al Gore more than kicking terrorist ass.
What even happend to badasses driving exotic/muscle cars? Jacke Bauer should be driving something like a 69' Camero with the engine sticking out of the hood.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 11:31 AM

Oh no... maybe people will actually pick up a book... or go outside and experience nature... what a shame.

Lava Lamp Freak
Nov 9, 2007, 12:52 PM

Michael Eisner is an idiot.

For a writer to give up today's money for a nonexistent piece of the future -- they should do it in three years, shouldn't be doing it now -- they are misguided they should not have gone on the strike. I've seen stupid strikes, I've seen less stupid strikes, and this strike is just a stupid strike.
The idiot also decided to bring Apple into it?

The only real winner here is Steve Jobs. They should be striking up at Cupertino or wherever he is.
These studio people are seriously screwed up in the head.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Oh no... maybe people will actually pick up a book... or go outside and experience nature... what a shame.
Like a "24" original mass market paperback! Sweet!!!!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I'm with you, while I may some tv (mostly sports and such) I cannot remember the last time I sat down and watched network tv. Its a vast wasteland of creativity. I'd much rather be outside playing with my kids. Going on hikes, mountain climbing etc. Reading books, magazines are also high on my list.

By the same token though I don't mind spending time in front of the computer - go figure
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Nov 9, 2007 at 02:10 PM. )

Cold Warrior
Nov 9, 2007, 04:30 PM

I hate the sunlight. Other than that, bring on the outdoors.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
You mean before the first season?

Oh well, it's just one more mindless form of entertainment we'll be missing. No huge loss to us viewers.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
You mean before the first season?

Oh well, it's just one more mindless form of entertainment we'll be missing. No huge loss to us viewers.
It's good entertainment to some, just not you, all TV is mindless, except Dirty Jobs.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
It's good entertainment to some, just not you, all TV is mindless, except Dirty Jobs.
You'll notice he didn't say it was good or bad, just mindless.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Doood, you like television WAY too much if you get this worked up over not seeing some tv shows. Talking about hostages and victims in regards to not being able to watch television is a bit extreme.

Here's a suggestion, read some books with all your new-found free time.
Well, as I said in my first sentence, I don't watch any television so I personally don't care if the season if cancelled. It doesn't affect me. I didn't even watch a single episode of 24! But I think it's a total lack of respect to deprieve millions of awaiting people of their favorite TV programs because they are not happy. I find it very selfish to consider that their disagreent is worth disturbing and enraging millions of peoples...

If I'm not happy with my work conditions, I will not tell "f.. off" to everybody. This is between me and my boss. The public should not be taken "hostage". Yes, the term hostage is appropriate, because you use them as a third party, which had nothing to do in the story, to negotiate.
Originally Posted by Person Man
Actually, the WGA is ready to return to the table. The studios are being d*ckheads and are saying, "we won't return to the table until we're good and ready to."
I read no later than yesterday that the studios were willing to negotiate, but that they had to end their strike before they do so.
From Wikipedia:
AMPTP negotiator Nick Counter has indicated that negotiations would not resume as long as strike action continues, stating, "We're not going to negotiate with a gun to our heads—that's just stupid."

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
Can't they use the same script they've been using for the last few years? Just change a few names and locations?

You. Are. Der Winner!
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2007, 06:02 AM

Someone should put up a wiki so the fans can write the season. Like Face Ache said, it's pretty much a Mad Lib exercise anyway.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2007, 11:00 AM

Well, as I said in my first sentence, I don't watch any television so I personally don't care if the season if cancelled. It doesn't affect me. I didn't even watch a single episode of 24! But I think it's a total lack of respect to deprieve millions of awaiting people of their favorite TV programs because they are not happy. I find it very selfish to consider that their disagreent is worth disturbing and enraging millions of peoples...

If I'm not happy with my work conditions, I will not tell "f.. off" to everybody. This is between me and my boss. The public should not be taken "hostage". Yes, the term hostage is appropriate, because you use them as a third party, which had nothing to do in the story, to negotiate.
The whole point of going on strike is to inconvenience people. It usually comes after a first (failed) attempt at negotiation, as in this case.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2007, 11:08 AM

I read no later than yesterday that the studios were willing to negotiate, but that they had to end their strike before they do so.
Yes, and that defeats the whole purpose of a strike. Most strikes don't end until both sides reach a compromise everyone can live with. If the WG drops their strike now, they will lose their power over the studios.

The studios aren't hurting right now. But in a few months, they will be. And the longer they hold out, the more money they'll lose. And if they wait too long, the Actors' Guild and the Directors' Guild might decide to join the fray. And then the studios will really start to hurt.

The studios have more to lose here. When they're hurting enough, they will come back to the negotiating table while the strike is still happening, and then it will end.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
You'll notice he didn't say it was good or bad, just mindless.
LOL...so mindless is not supposed to mean its bad? It sure didn't sound like he thought it was good.

PaperNotes
Nov 10, 2007, 12:33 PM

Jack Bauer has 24 hours to end the strike by taking out the terrorfying greedy execs and union leaders.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2007, 12:35 PM

I just hope this can help make strides in the direction of changing the power structure in the entertainment industry. It's obvious that the current power holders are aware of how close they are to losing their stranglehold, and they're doing everything they can to desperately cling to that waning power.

PaperNotes
Nov 10, 2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I just hope this can help make strides in the direction of changing the power structure in the entertainment industry.
There is nothing wrong with the power structure (because there isn't much power structure when people are moving from position to position or getting fired or ****ed). These things happen because bureaucracy always needs a push so that the lesser well paid people can get better pay.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2007, 05:32 PM

All the execs have to do is share the wealth a little with the writers and up the advertising prices...problem solved

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2007, 06:20 PM

What the hell else do they have to use as a bargaining chip except "I won't work under the conditions you've set"? The only way they can put pressure on the execs is by making it harder for the execs to deliver things to the public.

And if you're suggesting that they keep negotiating forever with the studio holding all the cards, well, that's just plain naïve.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Jack Bauer has 24 hours to end the strike by taking out the terrorfying greedy execs and union leaders.
Maybe he can do mock executions of their families. That always seems to work!

Forum Links
Forum Rules