Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 9)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Well, they'll never listen to any PC related petitions now. I predict that the next CoD game, done by Infinity Ward, will not be released on PC. Treyarch may do something, but not IW.
That doesn't make sense, and I'll tell you why: Because they spent money on creating the IW.net infrastructure. To me, that promises at least one more.

If you consider the fact that 360 > PC ports are supposedly cake, they may not end until IW partnership with Activision does.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That doesn't make sense, and I'll tell you why: Because they spent money on creating the IW.net infrastructure. To me, that promises at least one more.

If you consider the fact that 360 > PC ports are supposedly cake, they may not end until IW partnership with Activision does.
Oops, I'd forgotten about IW.net. I'll stop placing bets and leave the analysis to Dakar.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2009, 03:00 PM

Well, they'll never listen to any PC related petitions now. I predict that the next CoD game, done by Infinity Ward, will not be released on PC. Treyarch may do something, but not IW.
You might be right, which sucks. I'm sure PC sales of MW2 will only ensure this, even though it's their own fault. They charge $60 for a PC game that has less features than its predecessor?

I'm not as bitter as some PC gamers I know and have seen on the net, but it still leaves a bad taste for a game I haven't even tried yet. Still, I may pick it up.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2009, 03:02 PM

Oops, I'd forgotten about IW.net. I'll stop placing bets and leave the analysis to Dakar.
Nah. You could still be right in that it flops horribly, like some kind if Wii port.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Still, I may pick it up.
I'm genuinely interested in how the PC handles being a host, instead of joining dedicated servers. Give us a review when you play online will you?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2009, 03:33 PM

Alright, who here has played Private online matches (on console) on the original? You loss access to all your multiplayer rewards, correct?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 03:45 PM

Never played a private match on the Xbox, sorry.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2009, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
You might be right, which sucks. I'm sure PC sales of MW2 will only ensure this, even though it's their own fault. They charge $60 for a PC game that has less features than its predecessor?

I'm not as bitter as some PC gamers I know and have seen on the net, but it still leaves a bad taste for a game I haven't even tried yet. Still, I may pick it up.
My buddy got the PC version and had issues with Steam, which I didn't know at the time. He took it back and got the PS3 version, so we ended up testing Spec Ops till like 2am on a work night. I'm half brain dead here at work but I'm jump my ass right back on when I get home.
( Last edited by exca1ibur; Nov 11, 2009 at 04:14 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2009, 05:25 PM

Here's the plan. Obviously, most of us will be playing this weekend. Friday around 10 PM I'd like to try gather as many people as possible from some private multi. As I've never hosted before, this will be rough. Saturday night around 8 PM, the same.

The rest of the weekend, I'll be available for TDM and possibly Ground War (I may be on before 10 PM Friday). Of course, I encourage other member to also team-up as you spot each other.

Anyone who wants to join in and that I don't already have on my friend's list, should post their Gamertag in this thread prior to Friday night.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2009, 05:38 PM

you know i'm in, can't wait.
Finally picking up my copy tonight, so hopefully i'll have some time in come friday

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2009, 06:25 PM

I'm in, obviously.

My buddy and I were bummed to discover the lack of co-op for the main story mode. Oh well.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 06:29 PM

Let me think about it. I'll get back to ya.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I'm in, obviously.

My buddy and I were bummed to discover the lack of co-op for the main story mode. Oh well.
We could have told you that months ago.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Let me think about it. I'll get back to ya.
L O L

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2009, 07:05 PM

If I'm to play Friday it might be much later than 10. I'll set aside Saturday night (11 on) for all my NN boyz.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 07:14 PM

Anyone down for some 2 player Special Ops tonight?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2009, 08:28 PM

I might be.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2009, 08:53 PM

One day sales estimated at 7 million...holy s****

EDIT: Which according to VGCHarts.com is almost equal to COD4's TOTAL sales since release (7.88 million)
and a half a million more than Halo: Combat Evolved has sold to date.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2009, 02:14 AM

$&%#!
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2009, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
One day sales estimated at 7 million...holy s****

EDIT: Which according to VGCHarts.com is almost equal to COD4's TOTAL sales since release (7.88 million)
and a half a million more than Halo: Combat Evolved has sold to date.
Funny, I thought that COD had done over 14 million, but I can only find a reference to 13 million atm.

Call of Duty 4 sales pass 13 million mark - PC Gaming Video Game News - PAL Gaming Network

Anyway, its sh1tloads.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2009, 05:19 AM

While I'd love to join in for 'Da Gathering', the 6 hour time difference (plus the awful ping that I'd have on your machines) go against me.

Have fun.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2009, 09:43 AM

Well sh!t, my friends list is now populated almost entirely by MW2....guess I'll be buying it after work today. Probably tell the girlfriend to stay home, will you guys be on/down for some meetin'-up?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2009, 12:18 PM

While I'd love to join in for 'Da Gathering', the 6 hour time difference (plus the awful ping that I'd have on your machines) go against me.

Have fun.
There's always saturday during the day.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Well sh!t, my friends list is now populated almost entirely by MW2....guess I'll be buying it after work today. Probably tell the girlfriend to stay home, will you guys be on/down for some meetin'-up?
Yeah, I wouldn't mind trying to get my legs under me in Private with the original Halo crew.

---

Some stray thoughts/comments

• Contrary to what I posted earlier, Party Chat is not available in TDM, but is in Ground War (and Merc TDM). Makes more sense.

• Is it me, or is Stopping Power more powerful now? Or is it just the absence of Juggernaut? Either way, I've been trying not to use it on my classes, lest I become addicted.

• It's hard to know how bad it was in CoD4, but without a doubt Deathstreaks come in to play frequently in MW2. Too bad the default two are virtually useless.

• Sniping can give you some serious XP with a little bit of luck. Bonuses I racked up on one kill last night: One Shot, One Kill , Headshot, Long Shot, Buzzkill.

• I've been surprised by the amount I've seen Counter UAV used. Also, people with Riot SHields, though that may be a novelty thing (I plan on trying it a few times in Private games).

• Single Player - Already got stuck in Rio. There may not be infinite spawns, but they have some dickish enemies. They seem to be anti-camp and anti-rush which leaves me with... dying a lot. I had to log off after 10 plus deaths last night.

• Spec Ops is fun. I LOVED the AC-130 mission. I only wish I could have seen the game from stogies perspective while hearing our audio.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2009, 12:48 PM

Major Nelson hasn't released the Live activity from last week. Since I'm a conspiracy theorist when they don't post, I wonder if there's an outside chance bootleg/broken street date copies of MW2 managed to sneak into the Top 10.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2009, 03:40 PM

• Single Player - Already got stuck in Rio. There may not be infinite spawns, but they have some dickish enemies. They seem to be anti-camp and anti-rush which leaves me with... dying a lot. I had to log off after 10 plus deaths last night.

• Spec Ops is fun. I LOVED the AC-130 mission. I only wish I could have seen the game from stogies perspective while hearing our audio.
Yeah, I really didn't care for the Rio mission. That is probably my least favorite level on the campaign. Stick with it though. Things really get interesting after that level.

As for the AC-130 mission on the ground, you're not missing much. The level is exactly the same as "Hunted" in MW1(The one where you need to rescue the farmer). It was cool watching you take out all the guys around me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2009, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I really didn't care for the Rio mission. That is probably my least favorite level on the campaign. Stick with it though. Things really get interesting after that level.
I was telling your brother last weekend, but I have no tolerance for frequent repeated deaths. Its the other reason (behind sucking) why I won't finish the game on Veteran.

As for the AC-130 mission on the ground, you're not missing much. The level is exactly the same as "Hunted" in MW1(The one where you need to rescue the farmer).
Yeah, I saw the online preview.

It was cool watching you take out all the guys around me.
That's what I mean. I'd like the "incoming" or "clear out behind you" for context.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2009, 04:21 PM

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2009, 05:16 PM

Haha... that's priceless.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2009, 05:33 PM

Well I'm off to Best Buy right now, but I won't be back to play until around 10:15 or so.

If you jerks are playing together shoot Fatty an invite when I sign on.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
shoot Fatty
Done.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2009, 06:21 PM

There's always saturday during the day.
I'll try. I'm not trying to avoid you, I have a couple of young kids that wreck the house if they don't have a full day OUT of the house.

• It's hard to know how bad it was in CoD4, but without a doubt Deathstreaks come in to play frequently in MW2. Too bad the default two are virtually useless.
The Hardline perk is pretty good for this, you get drones all the time.

• I've been surprised by the amount I've seen Counter UAV used. Also, people with Riot SHields, though that may be a novelty thing (I plan on trying it a few times in Private games).
I tried the riot shield tonight. Not that impressed to be honest. People seem to know to aim at the feet. Your K/D ratio really gets hammered.

I've been playing like a real noob tonight, just couldn't get into it. Did some Hardcore TDM and Hardcore HQ and boosted my level a bit, but I just couldn't find a gametype to settle into. I saw one player on level 46 already. Must be unemployed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2009, 09:35 PM

Well, boycookie just got to witness me not get raped, but awful prison shower raped.I have no idea what the deal was, but I assure you, just because an X comes up after I fired, it doesn't necessarily mean that person actually took damage (see killcam replay).

I'm not saying things are bad, but I decided to try the riot shield, and boycookie killed me through it somehow, while not being able to see me thanks to megatons of dust.

Also, I've been ****ed twice tonight on carepackages that I got but couldn't use thanks to the game ending (including an AC-130).

Argh.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2009, 11:25 PM

Okay... after reading Dakar's thread, I don't think I'm going to be anything but cannon fodder, if I join you guys on Saturday. I haven't even played a game in this franchise yet, and I'll probably only get a couple of hours practice before Saturday's meet-up.

At least I got my copy today. I'll give it a try tomorrow. There wouldn't by chance be a training map that I can play?
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2009, 04:49 AM

One of the reasons that I changed from PC to console gaming was the cheats. Well, looks like they were working overtime.

Well that didn’t take long. First CoD:MW2 wallhack/aimbot already out. � Stupid Evil Bastard

Video in this article, sorry in French.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2009, 10:57 AM

Well I managed a few good games at the end of the night and to my surprise I eeked out a positive K/D after my first night of playing.

Matchmaking was fast, no lag, host migration works great (finally), and most of the maps are pretty damn interesting.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2009, 11:10 AM

Fantastic game last night, chaps, its unfortunate that the party system sucks gigantic donkey balls. YOu know what would help? If I didn't have to worry about Party Chat being disabled in certain playlists so i could tell everyone "Hey backout!" after I did. Moving along...

Notes from last night:

• The Trio of boycookie, a still green fatty, and I went undefeated in all of the 3 or 4 games we played.

• stogie put up 14 - 10 in his debut game (admittedly Domination)

• In that same game of Domination, early on, boycookie single-handedly wrest control of the middle control point and held it for several minutes. He finished with 40+ kills and less than 10 deaths.

• I gave one of the largest ass-rapings to a team thanks to a stealth bomber. The numbers multiplied insanely. 3500+ points. I nailed at least 4, probably 5 people.

• The next game, I opened up with an AC-130. So much fun.

• I got a ton of killstreaks last night once we got into the larger parties

• Terminal is my first LMG map. Now that I have the grip I was practically sniping people with it.

• Scrambler is every bit as dumb as predicted. I've killed at least 3 people with it because I figured out I was passing them when we had no UAV.

• Speaking of scrambler we played Favelas way too many times last night, and I swear the other team kept sending some cock sucker with it to hang out around us.

---

boycookie wanted to know what I use. This is my main class:

FAMAS - Red Dot Sight
PP2000 - Red Dot Sight

Marathon (I should probably go Scavenger here, never changed it from early on)
Hardline Pro
Commando (Will probably become Ninja later)

Painkiller

My main goal is to get to 25/28 so I can create a useful Ninja / Stealth / Run & Gun class (I have to admit, I looove using lightweight in the meantime. Shame its a Class 2 perk). That coupled with a Heartbeat sensor and I hope I might start pulling positives in Rio.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2009, 11:34 AM

Oh yeah, if you think you're playing tonight, sound off. I want to know if we'll be doing Ground War or Privies.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2009, 11:47 AM

I'll try and stay awake for a game or two with you guys.

Note : I don't have a working mike.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2009, 11:55 AM

I'm going to ribbit every time I kill you.

Speaking of assholes with mikes, I've reached my limit regarding the racist clans. I have no idea why your hate of niggers has to be the first thing out of your mouth when you join a new lobby.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2009, 12:17 PM

The new way to mute people is most appreciated for just that reason.

I shall hook the Xbox up to the 40 incher when the wifey lets me use it. Then extreme Dakar pwnage will begin.

Off home now, should be on in less than 4 hours.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2009, 12:21 PM

Are you okay with TDM? I'm sure I'll be on earlier, we might as well be team mates for a few matches.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2009, 01:00 PM

FINALLY played this morning,
Played a little campaign and a single multiplayer match (went 12-4), overall...awesome.

Can't wait to meet up with the NN crew tonight

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2009, 01:17 PM

Are you okay with TDM? I'm sure I'll be on earlier, we might as well be team mates for a few matches.
No problem. I don't like S&D but I'll play it if necessary. I'm up for the other game types but may need some coaching - don't think that I've ever played Domination.

If we need to communicate, I'll be slow - texting using the controller isn't my forté. You can shout and rant and order all you want, I'll have the headphones on.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2009, 01:36 PM

It'll be TDM and Ground War if we've got a bigger crew.

The only thing to pay attention to is whether I back out of a lobby. AFter yesterdays shenanigans I'm not putting up with awful connection/games.

*I like that they color coat your party players in the HUD – which just makes the fcat that they don't do the same in the lobby all the more confusing. I wasn't sure we had lost fatty and cheezy until after our match started.

Rumor
Nov 13, 2009, 02:00 PM

Looks like I may be around tonight. I'll see if I can pry myself from Dragon Age long enough to get in on a few matches.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2009, 02:03 PM

Don't strain yourself, Dwarf.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2009, 02:58 PM

I'll definitely be on tonight, from around 8 est.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2009, 03:10 PM

I'll be on, probably around 11-12, and I plan on playing until I reach 20, even if it takes until dawn tomorrow.

I ended up backing out with Cheezy because there were to many shenanighans and I only had a few games left in me, I'll be more patient tonight.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2009, 03:13 PM

All I know is 1.30 am came really fast last night, and I need a nap when I get home at 5.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2009, 03:25 PM

I have two classes I bounce between:
"sniper"
perks: bling, stopping power pro, steady aim pro
weapon: Barrett .50 Cal (silence, FMJ)

"pew pew"
perks: scavenger pro, stopping power pro, steady aim pro
weapon: SCAR-H (holographic site)

The map determines which class I use.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2009, 03:30 PM

Oh yeah, I'm all about picking the weapon to suit the map.

I have to say, i tried the holographic, and wasn't impressed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules