Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > "Apple sold more iOS devices in 2011 than all the Macs sold in 28 years"

"Apple sold more iOS devices in 2011 than all the Macs sold in 28 years"
amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2012, 09:29 PM

“Tim Cook on the 55 million iPads sold to date: ‘This 55 is something no one would have guessed. Including us. To put it in context, it took us 22 years to sell 55 million Macs. It took us about 5 years to sell 22 million iPods, and it took us about 3 years to sell that many iPhones. And so, this thing is, as you said, it’s on a trajectory that’s off the charts.’” Horace Deidu reports for Asymco.

“That gave me an idea,” Deidu reports. “The iOS platform as a whole reached 316 million cumulative units at the end of last year. The iOS platform overtook the OS X platform in under four years and more iOS devices were sold in 2011 (156 million) than all the Macs ever sold (122 million).”

Apple sold more iOS devices in 2011 than all the Macs sold it in 28 years | asymco

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2012, 09:34 PM

I therefore propose that the iPod, iPhone & iPad Forum be moved to the top of the Hardware Forum list, elevated way above those lesser Apple Hardware, the Mac Desktop and Mac Notebook Forums.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2012, 09:39 PM

Screw that. Stunning numbers though.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2012, 04:19 AM

The guy's name is Horace Dediu.

The graph is stunning.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2012, 05:26 AM

You forgot to suggest chaning the name of the site to iOSNN.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2012, 12:57 PM

Brilliant idea!

Perhaps we'd get more traffic in the forums?

Forum Links
Forum Rules