Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > 720p QT H.264= ok. 720p xvid file = unplayable

720p QT H.264= ok. 720p xvid file = unplayable
hotani
Senior User
Feb 28, 2006, 11:20 AM

It could be that I'm just reaching the limits of my processors (and beyond), but the HD H.264 files play halfway decent with quicktime - 720p that is, 1080 is way too choppy. I thought I could get the same results with an xvid file, since i have the codec installed but no go. It hangs QT so bad it starts spinning the beach ball and I have to quit. VLC isn't much better - maybe worse.

I have dual 867s, so is it just upgrade time?
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 28, 2006, 11:51 AM

It is upgrade time.

For 1080p H.264 playback, you need a Core Duo Mac, or else a dual G5.
For 720p, You need a Core Solo Mac (which doesn't exist yet), a single G5, or (as you know) a dual G4.
(Check back this afternoon on the Core Solo Mac. )

P.S. If you're encoding H.264 yourself, it's slooooww... Dual G5 or Core Duo recommended. Not only do the G4s suck at H.264 playback, they also suck at H.264 encoding.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 12:37 PM

You could try converting the videos into MPEG-2 transport stream format and then use Accellent to take advantage of the GPU, but Accellent is still mostly in experimental form.

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Feb 28, 2006, 12:39 PM

Yeah, it's very slow going on the encoding. playback of 720p h.264 files is surprisingly watchable though, even on the dated dual 867s.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Feb 28, 2006, 12:45 PM

NO WAY! playback video using the GPU!? it's insanity!

(sounds nice though!)
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Mar 2, 2006, 01:05 PM

I think I found a solution, and started a new thread since it is a very specific question.

The solution is to create a VIDEO_TS folder that Apple's DVD player (or VLC, maybe even QT) can read. This doesn't seem to take as much processing power to decode and view, and 1280x720 seems to play very well. My problem is with the conversion itself which I outlined in the other thread.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Forum Links
Forum Rules