Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > no incoming network access when logged out?

no incoming network access when logged out?
hotani
Senior User
Sep 26, 2002, 10:44 AM

My home machine runs a webserver which I access from work to see my bookmarks, links, even ssh or ftp into the box on occasion.

However: this only works if I am logged into the machine at home. If I leave it at the login window, chances are I will not have ANY network access to it.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I also run a G4 Powermac at work that sits at the login window most of the time and I have NEVER had a problem with network access on that one.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Moose
Senior User
Sep 26, 2002, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by hotani:
My home machine runs a webserver which I access from work to see my bookmarks, links, even ssh or ftp into the box on occasion.

However: this only works if I am logged into the machine at home. If I leave it at the login window, chances are I will not have ANY network access to it.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I also run a G4 Powermac at work that sits at the login window most of the time and I have NEVER had a problem with network access on that one.
I need to learn how to read. That's odd. More details.

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Sep 26, 2002, 01:00 PM

this is over a DSL connection with a fixed IP if that helps. here is the address if you want to try it:

http://hotani.homeunix.net
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Sep 26, 2002, 07:43 PM

More details: it does wake up from time to time and function normally. When its up, its all up: I can get web, ftp, ssh - everything. When its down though, I cannot see it at all.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2002, 08:36 PM

Is the machine actually going to sleep? If so there's no way you'll be able to do anything with it.

(although, if it was sleeping, it would do that whether you're logged in or not, I suppose).

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Sep 27, 2002, 04:56 AM

nope. Sleep is set to "never". However, I wonder if it does have something to do with the HD spinning down. I will turn off the "spin down HD when possible" setting and see what happens.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2002, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by hotani:
nope. Sleep is set to "never". However, I wonder if it does have something to do with the HD spinning down. I will turn off the "spin down HD when possible" setting and see what happens.
Set the "wake for network administrator access" in the energy saver options.

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

Moose
Senior User
Sep 27, 2002, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by The DJ:

Set the "wake for network administrator access" in the energy saver options.
That's just what Mac OS X calls Wake-on-LAN. If the machine's sleeping, a specially formed broadcast Ethernet frame (read: below IP on the OSI model) will cause it to wake up.

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Sep 27, 2002, 10:59 AM

yeah, that has been checked with no luck. Like I say, it does work fine as long as I am logged into the machine at home; but sporadically when it is at the login window.

It was actually doing this in the final days of 10.1; I thought the upgrade to 10.2 would fix it but it did not.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2002, 12:00 PM

I get that, too, with almost exactly the same setup... it's very annoying.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Sep 27, 2002, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
I get that, too, with almost exactly the same setup... it's very annoying.
Glad to know I'm not the only one. Now at least I know its an apple problem, not something wacky with my machine.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2002, 07:30 AM

The only thing I can think is that processes descended from your loginwindow are somehow dying when you log out, even though they should be launching as root & separated from their parents...

Here's one thing to try: set the webserver to "on". Then immediately reboot. That should launch the webserver starting in a separate context, from the StartupItem, before your loginwindow starts.

Check whether the webserver is running at the very first login panel.

Then try not to check or uncheck the switch in System Preferences.

Does that make any difference? It's a long shot but at least I can tell myself some half-baked story about why it might be true.

Your son is adorable by the way.

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Oct 1, 2002, 09:54 AM

Thanks - I'll try that.

I stayed logged in today and am unable to get through, so apparently it is not just when logged out that it is happening.

It always "wakes up" at some point, but it is not in sleep mode. After that it goes dead again. I don't know whether to start hasseling my ISP or assume it is the software; I have never had this problem on a unix machine before though.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Oct 1, 2002, 02:03 PM

one more thing: when I connect, I can keep the connection up by sending activity to the box. This could be a refresh of the page, or just typing anything in ssh...

But if I am away from it for 5 minutes or so, it is gone again.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Forum Links
Forum Rules