Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Serious System Wierdness (help!)

Serious System Wierdness (help!)
bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2003, 12:27 AM

For some reason I can't get my clock or menubar icons for sound, displays, etc. to show up (the options for enabling them in prefpanes don't seem to do anything and the checkmarks reset to off with each log-in as if they were never turned on). I've also lost the ability to do screen snapshots (aaack - I'll die!!!). Using Duality 4 GT, Silk 2.0fc1 and have been enabling a theme built using Watercolor 1.2 as a template (which contains menu icon replacements) - any ideas guys? Is there a better 'everything plus the kitchen sink' theme I should build over floating around these days (been working on this one for a while now).

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2003, 12:30 AM

This same thing happened to me. I didn't know what to do so I did a clean install of Jaguar. Hope there is another way to fix this.

Brushed 3 has menu elements.

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2003, 12:31 AM

BBX, yeah... Watercolor is my theme, and you seriously still have v1.2 of it? It contains the SystemUIServer file that is only supported for 10.2 - 10.2.3. If you get an old copy of the SysUIServer file in your 10.2.4 or newer system that is exactly what will happen. I suggest you try running AquaFix to restore a new copy of the SystemUIServer file.

Hope that works... and if you continue to work off of Watercolor just remove the SystemUIServer file from the .dlta package, and then edit the main.themescript in TextEdit and remove the line that installs that file and your theme should be good to go.

Good luck dude... hope I've got the right solution here.

//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

Sage
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 12:55 AM

Yup, AquaFix should do the trick (or at least help)... I had the same problem with my menubar items going away, and AquaFix fixed it without a hitch (and to think I was just about to reinstall!!)

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 01:17 AM

Dude AquaFix before a clean install! Hope it works.
click one

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2003, 01:48 AM

Thanks everybody I'll let you know how it goes...

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2003, 02:23 AM

Eeek - downloaded what I thought was the most recent version of Aquafix (2.0.1) and it says my system is newer than the one it was designed to fix. Is this a problem or is it just being cautious. Will IZA's restore23a do the job as well or is it just to restore from IZA's themes?

I'mDaMac
Senior User
May 27, 2003, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Eeek - downloaded what I thought was the most recent version of Aquafix (2.0.1) and it says my system is newer than the one it was designed to fix. Is this a problem or is it just being cautious. Will IZA's restore23a do the job as well or is it just to restore from IZA's themes?
I just restored Aqua (today) in 10.2.6 with Aquafix 2.0.1 and it worked fine.
Who'sDaMac?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
May 27, 2003, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Just ignore the warning, it works fine.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Just ignore the warning, it works fine.
Beautiful - back to normal!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 02:30 PM

Good to hear.
click one

quandarry
Jun 4, 2003, 04:14 PM

( Last edited by quandarry; Jun 5, 2003 at 02:55 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules