Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA�

[ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA� (Page 4)
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Well, after completing the scrollbars and progress bars (woot!) I realize I'll need to include a photosensitive siezure warning... I've done a ton of media players so I've got this strobing LED sequencing down to a science (man if we could only sequence widgets and control states) - while the effect is very cool, I'm thinking I just killed it for any epileptic users sensitive to strobing lights (my little brother being one of them). He's offered to crash-helmet test it for me (hehe - what a freak), but I think I'll decline Hey - I wonder if this will be the first theme ever with a 'WARNING: Photosensitive Siezure Alert!' tag... coooool
lol cool!
click one

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 01:37 PM

Well, after completing the scrollbars and progress bars (woot!) I realize I'll need to include a photosensitive siezure warning... I've done a ton of media players so I've got this strobing LED sequencing down to a science (man if we could only sequence widgets and control states) - while the effect is very cool, I'm thinking I just killed it for any epileptic users sensitive to strobing lights (my little brother being one of them). He's offered to crash-helmet test it for me (hehe - what a freak), but I think I'll decline Hey - I wonder if this will be the first theme ever with a 'WARNING: Photosensitive Siezure Alert!' tag... coooool
Good god!

You're as giddy as a virgin on prom night! I have every confidence that your design will cause similar orgastic in all who use it. Get themeing Billy!

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 24, 2003, 01:51 PM

I remember somewheres back a few pages you said it would take about a month to finish. How close are we now? weeks? days? Must... have... Omega... Mmm... LEDs...

christianclark
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 07:21 AM

BBX,

i have been thinking that BBX OMEGA would be sweet for the Japanese movie, Returner.

I can't wait until you release BBX OMEGA

Christian

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by drnkn_stylz:
How close are we now? weeks? days? Must... have... Omega... Mmm... LEDs...
Weeks (but not months) - I was hoping to be done by now, but (for reasons that will become abundantly clear when you finally see it, bwahahahaha) it's actually been moving along as quickly as it possibly can. The OSX theme itself is about 90% along and will be completely done by the middle to end of next week, but there are other things that need finishing before anything gets released (Panther adaptation, XP translation, tons of icons, desktop artwork, add-on modules, a few surprises, etc.)... the OSX theme is just one small (but vital because it drives the look of everything) part of the whole - it can't really go as fast as you're probably used to (guys like Max making the rest of us look lazy) with the dizzying amount of pixels that need to be coaxed 'just so'. But when it's done there will be so much integrated content all tweaked to total visual integration that it will be like playing with a whole new dark futuristic OS. The theme itself took a while to gain momentum because I've tried to devise an entirely new (but logical) concept for control interactions that plays out consistently across the system (and within the confines of Aqua's semi-retarded footprint). Overall, I'm (oh so very) very happy with how it's all coming together - still takes my breath away when I sit down in front of the screen with my coffee every morning. I think you'll all be pleasantly surprised when it hits

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by christianclark:
i have been thinking that BBX OMEGA would be sweet for the Japanese movie, Returner.
Maybe It's definitely a little Akira.

Mike S.
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 02:47 PM

Is this going to be a Panther only theme or will you be offering up versions for both?

Seeing as you said "Panther Adaptation" I would assume it's designed for Jaguar and will be "ported" to Panther but I just want to be sure.

I probably won't have access to Panther until after Xmas and I'd hate to miss out on this theme's premier!

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
Is this going to be a Panther only theme or will you be offering up versions for both?
It runs beautifully in Jaguar There will be versions for both, and they'll share everything but the theme itself... thanks to Unsanity (Demetalfizer) it will look almost identical (but I still prefer the Jaguar version myself because the Jaguar Finder doesn't pop a status bar under the lower scroll).

christianclark
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 09:10 PM

It runs beautifully in Jaguar There will be versions for both, and they'll share everything but the theme itself.
I am very happy that BBX OMEGA will be for Jaguar too

I am NOT a fan of Panther.

Christian

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 01:05 AM

I am very happy that BBX OMEGA will be for Jaguar too

I am NOT a fan of Panther.

Christian
Right....

Anyway I'm enjoying the speed and interface (non-cosmetic) enhancements of Panther. It really is the best update to OS X so far, and the small flaws in the interface are very far from enough reason not to upgrade... you'd have to be stupid or broke not to run out and buy Panther.

I think the Aqua interface that themers have to work in helps keep themes from getting to the unusable over kill point... And if you ask me I have yet seen an XP theme that looks as good as the best Mac OS X themes, even the ports don't look right. Really I'm not going to use a theme thats' window borders take up most of the screen even if it looks "cool"... The Aqua "limitations" seem to add an elegance to the best themes.

Sounds like Omega is going to set a new standard for themes! I'm going to be very surprised if any themes come-out in the next year that will even get me to change, (unless there's anyother BBX theme with in that time).
click one

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2003, 03:53 AM

So great... now I have to pray to God for forgiveness for musterd bating over this too?

What shall we all do... I too am so stoked.

A fan (so like...where can I get the shirt dude?),

R

Weeks (but not months) - I was hoping to be done by now, but (for reasons that will become abundantly clear when you finally see it, bwahahahaha) it's actually been moving along as quickly as it possibly can. The OSX theme itself is about 90% along and will be completely done by the middle to end of next week, but there are other things that need finishing before anything gets released (Panther adaptation, XP translation, tons of icons, desktop artwork, add-on modules, a few surprises, etc.)... the OSX theme is just one small (but vital because it drives the look of everything) part of the whole - it can't really go as fast as you're probably used to (guys like Max making the rest of us look lazy) with the dizzying amount of pixels that need to be coaxed 'just so'. But when it's done there will be so much integrated content all tweaked to total visual integration that it will be like playing with a whole new dark futuristic OS. The theme itself took a while to gain momentum because I've tried to devise an entirely new (but logical) concept for control interactions that plays out consistently across the system (and within the confines of Aqua's semi-retarded footprint). Overall, I'm (oh so very) very happy with how it's all coming together - still takes my breath away when I sit down in front of the screen with my coffee every morning. I think you'll all be pleasantly surprised when it hits

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2003, 02:59 PM

SB

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by G0Ducks:
A fan (so like...where can I get the shirt dude?)
I should check out Caf� Press and set up a store maybe

phillryu
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 11:05 PM

Send me over some graphics, the logo, a few screenshots of the theme, etc. and I'll make you a t-shirt

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Send me over some graphics, the logo, a few screenshots of the theme, etc. and I'll make you a t-shirt
Anything to get a look at the theme hu? It is going to be out soon, so just keep cool.
click one

christianclark
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Right....Anyway I'm enjoying the speed and interface (non-cosmetic) enhancements of Panther. It really is the best update to OS X so far, and the small flaws in the interface are very far from enough reason not to upgrade... you'd have to be stupid or broke not to run out and buy Panther.
Well...I will have to get Photoshop CS before getting 10.3 anyways and plus I have to like the new finder too, it's too PC style.

I really can't wait until BBX Omega comes out, I am getting very nervous

I went back to Makki because I got bored with mercury.

Christian

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 06:51 PM

I'm skipping out on Photoshop CS, if you've got 7 there's little or no reason to upgrade. It's just a few new tools to make people buy it again. It's been getting bad reviews as an upgrade.

Panther is worth your money and is only $69 US with a student discount.

I also can't wait for Omega. BBX: I guess you'll be waiting for smeger's new Panther theme porter to help you out?
click one

superfula
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 07:57 PM

Right....
Anyway I'm enjoying the speed and interface (non-cosmetic) enhancements of Panther. It really is the best update to OS X so far, and the small flaws in the interface are very far from enough reason not to upgrade... you'd have to be stupid or broke not to run out and buy Panther.
No need to be a jerk. Some don't think the value of Panther is worth what it is priced at. The only reason I'll get it, is because it's coming with my student adc account. It is hardly a must buy that you classify it as.

10.2->10.3 is no where near as big of a step as 10.1>10.2 is. I think many need to go back and use 10.1 again to remind themselves.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2003, 09:23 PM

I'm skipping out on Photoshop CS, if you've got 7 there's little or no reason to upgrade. It's just a few new tools to make people buy it again. It's been getting bad reviews as an upgrade.
D'oh! You gotta be kidding me - Photoshop CS has some invaluable stuff in it... for me, nested layer sets alone (sets within sets - weeeee) are worth the upgrade cost... then again, I get into some really complex files with hundreds and hundreds of layers.

So are the live effects, multilayered live (and repeatable) filtering, nested layer comps, type on paths, true 16-bits/channel editing (no more banding!), customizable keyboard controls (I can finally disable that f*cking 'n' key and stop creating annotations all over the place when I meant to push the 'b' key and lay down some brush strokes - woot!) - the list goes on... this is actually a very exciting upgrade if you're a serious power user. Performance has also been addressed/enhanced to an appreciable degree (or so I hear).

There's very little Photoshop can't do as it is so I don't know what people are expecting that they would label this upgrade as disappointing... about the only thing I wanted to see that I didn't was live convolution adjustment layers (blurs, edges, sharpens) and the ability to have duplicate layer effects on the same layer (2 dropshadows, 2 strokes, etc) with the ability to manipluate the stacking order of layer effects.

My copy just shipped today - I'll let you know how cool or bad it is once I've had a chance to play with it.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2003, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by superfula:
10.2->10.3 is no where near as big of a step as 10.1>10.2 is. I think many need to go back and use 10.1 again to remind themselves.
Expos� alone is so revolutionary, so absolutely useful that it alone is worth the 129 bucks or whatever it costs (if like me you're dealing with dozens of open windows at any given time, it will blow your mind when you try it). The open/save dialogs are actually useful now, Preview is 1000X better than it was, the integrated Fax works awesome... fast user switching means I don't have to interrupt renders, close dozens of windows, sort through a ton of unsaved documents, etc just so my wife can check her email... it's all good.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2003, 09:49 PM

Hey, BBX, quit wasting time chatting about this nonsense and get back to that makeover already!

SB

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 12:11 AM

Sorry that may have been a bit rude of me, but for anyone to say they are "NOT a fan of Panther" is a little hard to think of seriously... It is as big an update as 10.1 to 10.2, I didn't think Jag was that big an update until a few months into running it. Already I see Panther is a huge update. If anything it's worth getting for all the software that will soon be "OS 10.3 and higher" like the iApps.

Well BBX you're in a higher level than the rest of us Photoshop guys, so maybe you'll make use of the new CS tools. For now I'm cool with 7. But if I hear you rave about it again I just might look into it.

I think you can find Panther for $99 from mail order sites. And if you can get a student discount it's only $70! Way worth it!!!
click one

christianclark
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 02:31 AM

I'm skipping out on Photoshop CS, if you've got 7 there's little or no reason to upgrade. IPanther is worth your money and is only $69 US with a student discount.
I may get 10.3 right now if I want to, it's only $129. The Apple store is in Hollywood and MacMall is in Santa Monica Beach. So I just take the subway.

I have Illustrator 10 and Dreamweaver MX; however, I still have Photoshop 5.5 I hate to still have Photoshop 5.5 That's why I need to keep Jaguar.

To get Photoshop CS is a pain right now. It will take me 6 months to save $650. Oh well.

You have no clue how much to live in Los Angeles is, it's CRAZY

Christian

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by slboett:
Hey, BBX, quit wasting time chatting about this nonsense and get back to that makeover already!
The core Jaguar theme is mere hours from completion (woot!) - but like I said before, it's only one part of a greater whole... now comes Panther, XP, icons, desktop graphics, app skins, etc. I had originally planned on being finished by now, but due to setbacks beyond my control (again, it's a team effort and I'm not the only person involved in making Omega possible) we're still at least 30 days from launch - believe me though, this theme has some twists and innovations that make it very much unlike any OSX theme to date Omega pushes some boundaries that will inspire some very cool things with OSX theming down the road (which is why I said it will actually help Mirai along as well). You'll see (eventually) - but rest assured, I'm busting my ass making it as cool and comprehensive as I possibly can by the time it hits.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2003, 01:09 PM

this seems like a lot of hype for freeware. do you plan to charge for this? i mean, all this promotion... for what?

i am looking forward to it tho. and im sure that it will come right along without you telling us (over and over) how great it will be. its getting time to put your money where your mouth is bbx.

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 01:12 PM

The core Jaguar theme is mere hours from completion (woot!) - but like I said before, it's only one part of a greater whole... now comes Panther, XP, icons, desktop graphics, app skins, etc. I had originally planned on being finished by now, but due to setbacks beyond my control (again, it's a team effort and I'm not the only person involved in making Omega possible) we're still at least 30 days from launch - believe me though, this theme has some twists and innovations that make it very much unlike any OSX theme to date Omega pushes some boundaries that will inspire some very cool things with OSX theming down the road (which is why I said it will actually help Mirai along as well). You'll see (eventually) - but rest assured, I'm busting my ass making it as cool and comprehensive as I possibly can by the time it hits.
Why don't you just set everything for a New Years Eve midnight launch kind of thing. You know, signifying the dawn of a new age.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 01:34 PM

Wow a whole 30 days more!
Well it should be worth the wait... but I don't think the new-years idea is good that would be another 30days on top of that.

BBX: Could you make a desktop pic teaser poster thing to help us wait?
You sould put a paypal link in the kit, I think I might be sending you a few $$.
click one

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Lord Sith:
Why don't you just set everything for a New Years Eve midnight launch kind of thing. You know, signifying the dawn of a new age.
Yeah, let's see a keynote presentation a'la Steve Jobs! That would be killer.

headbirth
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 01:39 PM

Why don't you put the XP version onhold and release the mac version sooner ;-)

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by headbirth:
Why don't you put the XP version onhold and release the mac version sooner ;-)
The XP version will actually go pretty quick - it's not what's slowing me down at all. If we're ready to go and the XP version isn't done, it'll launch anyways.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Lord Sith:
It won't be that long

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
this seems like a lot of hype for freeware. do you plan to charge for this? i mean, all this promotion... for what?
Promotion? It's a forum thread

i am looking forward to it tho. and im sure that it will come right along without you telling us (over and over) how great it will be. its getting time to put your money where your mouth is bbx. [/QUOTE]

I'm just keeping this little forum abreast of the situation - I haven't even started the hype yet

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 02:00 PM

BBX: Could you make a desktop pic teaser poster thing to help us wait? [/B]
Lots of that stuff coming soon - just had to get the core theme done before I start plowing through the other stuff.

Hobeaux
Oct 29, 2003, 02:10 PM

Lots of that stuff coming soon - just had to get the core theme done before I start plowing through the other stuff.
i'm dyin' over here! but until then I guess I'll just enjoy my purdy panther.
damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 02:45 PM

If this "makeover" is as cool AND usable as you claim it to be, I'll toss $20 to you - really.
Forget Jag man and move to Panther.
I suppose you'll be making a Kaleidoscope Scheme for those OS 9 wankers next?

Can't wait to see this thing.

SB

Hobeaux
Oct 29, 2003, 02:49 PM

I suppose you'll be making a Kaleidoscope Scheme for those OS 9 wankers next? [/B]
ROTFLOL

oh! man! i needed a good laugh.
Mac OS 9. that's a good one!

haven't touched that awful thing since 10.1 (that's like, what, two years?)

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2003, 03:18 PM

I'm just keeping this little forum abreast of the situation - I haven't even started the hype yet [/B]
wow, i fear for that day. dont take that last reply as an attack. just so you know, you have my attention, everytime i see this thread updated, i rush to it, looking, hoping, for the link to a host site to get this theme. smoothstripes is great and all, but i have a ton of dark desktops that just dont look right. keep up the good work man

Dan.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 03:31 PM

Ya I've also been watching this topic like a hawk hoping I'll be the first to download and install the theme, but looks like it will be yet another month...
click one

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2003, 03:55 PM

Ya I've also been watching this topic like a hawk hoping I'll be the first to download and install the theme, but looks like it will be yet another month...
if nothing else i get to statwhore my post count, so i guess all this anticipation is worth something

christianclark
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 09:31 PM

we're still at least 30 days from launch . [/B]
30 days!!!!

Damn!

Christian

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 07:30 PM

Once Omega is finally released, EVERYONE is going to act like a bunch of crack addicts who just jacked some guy of his stash. Including me Omega will be my new drug

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
if nothing else i get to statwhore my post count, so i guess all this anticipation is worth something

That would explain why everyone is saying how great a theme is that they've never even seen!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

christianclark
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by drnkn_stylz:
Once Omega is finally released, EVERYONE is going to act like a bunch of crack addicts who just jacked some guy of his stash. Including me Omega will be my new drug
{laughs] Very funny; however, i have to disagree with that. It will be just a few people who will love BBX Omega. Kinda same as Shinobi.

Most people like the SmoothStripes CRAP and brushed metal CRAP.

We are just outsiders who likes cool, awesome and sweet Japanese Sfi Fi stuff.

When I had OS 8.6 - 9, I was using DSGTheme. Hard to believe that I haven't heard of William Bart until last year.

It would be sweet if someone created DSGTheme for OS X too.

Christian

chezpaul
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 09:45 PM

Yes, I was thinking the same mrtew.
That's what hype is all about.
And I'm not saying bbx did it... ;-)
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 30, 2003, 10:11 PM

{laughs] Very funny; however, i have to disagree with that. It will be just a few people who will love BBX Omega. Kinda same as Shinobi.

Easy on the crap slinging buddy

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

ender2002
Senior User
Oct 30, 2003, 10:23 PM

We are just outsiders who likes cool, awesome and sweet Japanese Sfi Fi stuff.

When I had OS 8.6 - 9, I was using DSGTheme. Hard to believe that I haven't heard of William Bart until last year.

It would be sweet if someone created DSGTheme for OS X too.

Christian
yeah man, too cool for school.
you act like you are different or something but you are really not. Yeah, go sci-fi! There will most likely be thousands of people using this theme. Don't try to make yourself special.

and, oh yeah, smoothstripes was one of the best themes ever made. It was not supposed to be original and different. It just made Aqua what it was supposed to be and/or made it easier on the eyes.

"It will be just a few people who will love BBX Omega"
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

idiot

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 10:50 PM

He does have a point though, the dark stylized themes have almost an underground following. I think the thing is most Mac users are very much minimalists and seem to chose light colors over dark.
click one

christianclark
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
Easy on the crap slinging buddy
I didn't mean your metal themes.

I believe that most brushed metal themes look the same or to copy each other. That's my opinion.

I am very very picky with themes. I only have Shinobi and BBX Mercury. Many people have said that they would pick BBX Platimum over BBX Mercury, some people don't like BBX Mercury. I haven't used BBX Platimum before so I don't know the difference.

Christian

christianclark
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2003, 12:22 AM

He does have a point though, the dark stylized themes have almost an underground following. I think the thing is most Mac users are very much minimalists and seem to chose light colors over dark.
Yea!!!!!! That's what I mean. for example, when A ClockWork Orange [movie] first came out, most people didn't like the movie. But now, it is a great dark cult classic.

It's the same with themes. Most people won't use BBX Omega because it will be a dark theme. That's my opinion.

Christian

christianclark
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2003, 12:26 AM

This is interesting of a 2001 interview.

http://www.teknidermy.com/issue4/iviewbart.html

Christian

Forum Links
Forum Rules