Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA�

[ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA� (Page 6)
Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 02:58 PM

So, anyone here have the e.t.a?
Any idea?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 03:08 PM

I'm glad thatr BBX is taking the "usablility" factor into the equation - that is ultimately very important for the long run.
I did kinda like the matte finish of the first rendering for the black parts.
Either way, my offer of $20 stands if this thing rocks and I can still get some work done. I like to support folks who do this much work.
I am also going to try and slip some $$$ to Max and Swiz - I've enjoyed their stuff for a while too.
I just have some more pressing expenses like two girls in college and a 97-year old house that's being restored - very slowly.

SB

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
i really hate to say this, but that teaser just doesnt look up to your standards bbx. not the icons, heaven no, those are awesome, but the logo thing. it looks too... 2D compared to your other works. like that awesome T3 skin.
? The logo is a true 3D object - here it is in another material...

- once you see it animated, you'll get a better understanding for its depth in the black material... one of the challenges here is to keep all the surfaces and lighting consistent from the logo to the icons to the theme. Once you see it all together it will make infinite sense...
( Last edited by bbxstudio; Nov 2, 2003 at 05:03 PM. )

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
So, anyone here have the e.t.a?
Any idea?
As of Hallowe'en we were at approximately 30 days give or take - I'm at the mercy of others on this one, so I can't give an exact date.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 07:34 PM

Damn! I'd kill to have the theme in the white version....

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:

- once you see it animated, you'll get a better understanding for its depth in the black material... one of the challenges here is to keep all the surfaces and lighting consistent from the logo to the icons to the theme. Once you see it all together it will make infinite sense...
Hay that's cool. Black colored objects do tend to seem to have less depth at times, but I think the logo is killer in black and has plenty of depth. I guess MIRAI is going to be more along the white side kinda like this 3D logo but with a metallic look.

Hay BBX is your .mac account expired? I was going to look at the MIRAI poster again to compare.
click one

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 07:54 PM

Oh though it would be cool to look at the two posters side by side too:

I think the new glossy finsih really helps the look, as does the color.

BBX: Hay also what did you mean by having the logo animated? Are you going to have some crazy iTunes controller that animates like your T3 WMP skin? Or a screensaver?
click one

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 08:09 PM

? The logo is a true 3D object - here it is in another material...once you see it animated, you'll get a better understanding for its depth in the black material... one of the challenges here is to keep all the surfaces and lighting consistent from the logo to the icons to the theme. Once you see it all together it will make infinite sense...
This design is total sweet. This might sound stupid or something.....but to me, it 's looks so cool because....to me, it looks like something from the StormTroopers by Lucasarts.

Question 1: do you think you could add a glowing / flashing buttons as in Shinobi? I would really LOVE that, indeed! That's why Shinobi is so cool.

Question 2: Have you ever try to use your creativity with video game companies? You have the style.

Christian

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 08:14 PM

Hey BBX,

Do you might have a awesome nude hot babe as your XBXSTR1half illustration?

It took me one whole full year to find the perfect Asian babe illustration for Shinobi.

Christian

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 08:25 PM

Please please please release a black version AND a white version, like the logo above. That would kick more bootay than anything else before!

BBX has talent on loan from God.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 08:37 PM

Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

Can you please please please please make a Konfab remote for iTunes? I'd never seen your T3 skin before, but when I saw that last animation, I swear my jaw dropped open and I had to swallow because I realized I was salivating. Since you're busy with Omega, maybe you could get someone with Konfab experience to make it for you.

It'll get done sooner that way too ;-).

Ah! Can't wait!

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 09:03 PM

jesus bbx that white version is drool worthy. the black one does lack depth, but if the white one shown is just inverted or something, its going to be awesome

ps is that white one just a teaser or will it be white and black?

Sage
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
Damn! I'd kill to have the theme in the white version....
Ditto! I love dark themes and all (Shinobi is an absolute work of art, and Omega should be even better), but of course usability drives me to use lighter themes. If you made a theme like that logo though... ooh boy!

eFX
Nov 2, 2003, 09:37 PM

What kinda of program was used to create this?

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by eFX:
[img]What kinda of program was used to create this?
That's Illustrator (guidlines)>Form�Z(geometry)>Cinema4D(lighting+ren dering)

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 11:10 PM

jesus bbx that white version is drool worthy. is that white one just a teaser or will it be white and black?
I just slapped a light gray on there to show the geometry more clearly - there is no white version (BBX ALPHA? hmmm...) at least not for a long while Normally, creating multiple color schemes in terms of the surface wouldn't be difficult - BUT it wouldn't work here - I started with black, which doesn't have enough dynamic range to derive a white from. I'd have to go in and re-render/airbrush/assemble everything. If I'd started off white, it would be a different story. For the time being, it's a black BBX kit coming - don't count on a white one for a while

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by christianclark:
Hey BBX, do you might have a awesome nude hot babe as your XBXSTR1half illustration?
Believe me, I wish I knew a hot Japanese chick I could photograph for OMEGA - unfortunately, I could get one but I'd have to pay exorbitant modeling fees... hard to justify for a freeware kit.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 11:23 PM

This design is total sweet. This might sound stupid or something.....but to me, it 's looks so cool because....to me, it looks like something from the StormTroopers by Lucasarts.

Question 1: do you think you could add a glowing / flashing buttons as in Shinobi? I would really LOVE that, indeed! That's why Shinobi is so cool.

Question 2: Have you ever try to use your creativity with video game companies? You have the style.

Christian
It does looks strormtrooperish - OMEGA is actually very 'empire-inspired'... minimalist monochromatic polycarbon surfaces, rectangular LEDs - just like the elevator shafts in the deathstar, DarthVader's helmet, stormtrooper flack armor, etc.

Answer 1: yup, there's some cool flashing/glowing/strobing going on throughout - that's what event-driven LEDs means. I had to tone down some of it for fear of causing photoelectric seizures even.

Answer2: I'd love it, but I'd have to start out at the bottom - I've often thought about conceiving/designing videogames... I'm a huge videogame hag.

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 11:31 PM

Those renders truly are amazing BBX.

To see them implemented system-wide on a GUI will be setting the bar very high and (hopefully) blowing the door wide open for future endeavors of this magnitude.

"Themeing becomes an artform."

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 12:09 AM

i swear bbx if this doesnt blow my socks off, IM GOING TO KILL YOU

eFX
Nov 3, 2003, 12:26 AM

i swear bbx if this doesnt blow my socks off, IM GOING TO KILL YOU
hehe i bet it will blow your socks clean off!

Imagine BBX made matching Mac cases based of his kits, that would be so awesome having desktop and everything matching.

I really dig one colour look i think thats what makes BBX's kits rule all, its either Polished Monochrome of some sort or its dark techy future style. Look at other peoples works mostly has alot of colour compared to this. I mean look at Aqua etc, BBX makes it look like kids stuff.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 12:34 AM

I still think Apple should give him a job...
click one

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 12:46 AM

word!

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
I still think Apple should give him a job...
That would be a great career move for BBX; however, you know and I know that Apple is probably "pissed off" @ BBX.

Apple does not like people to change their looks, ways and styles.

Apple have never been public with themes and stuff, I think.

Christian

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 01:45 PM

That would be a great career move for BBX; however, you know and I know that Apple is probably "pissed off" @ BBX.

Apple does not like people to change their looks, ways and styles.

Apple have never been public with themes and stuff, I think.

Christian
Same reason they won't give Max a job... AND stole his idea of recessed aqua widgets.

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 01:51 PM

I agree.

"Apple" does seem to have "grubby little hands."

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Lord Sith:
I agree.

"Apple" does seem to have "grubby little hands."
You can't knock Apple too badly - at least they're giving us a cool default interface (and the best OS on the planet). Word has it they're opening up a bit as well Apple's always had a history of keeping an eye on what independants are doing and borrowing from that (lots of Aqua is 'inspired') - at least they do a good job of it. I highly doubt they're pissed off at me or see any of this stuff as any kind of a threat - I've even gotten kudos from guys at Microsoft and Apple in the past (although they never use corporate email accounts, go figure)... I think some of them probably find this stuff as fun as we do.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 02:15 PM

That would be a great career move for BBX
I've offered them my services, believe me - they're just not interested... I'd move to Palo Alto and start developing next-gen Apple interfaces in a heartbeat (got some great ideas) - but I guess they'd rather have me develop for their competitors. C'est la vie. Of course, half the reason I do this stuff is to stroke my own ego - not sure I'd dig the corporate 'design by comittee' gig.

milhouse
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 08:09 PM

That's incredible. I actually like the lighter one better than the dark.

You certainly have talent.

cheers
"-Dodge This"

eFX
Nov 3, 2003, 10:22 PM

yeah indeed that 3Dsample colour reminds me pretty much of Mercury, it kind of has that Airfix model look.

The whole time i thought it was pure photoshop not a real 3D model but its fantastic.

Wonder if thats how BBX made the Mercury globe. His presentations remind me of architects work stage by stage, really groovy seeing behind the scenes stuff on how he makes it.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 04:45 PM

Looks awesome BBX. I'm looking forward to the release
Who'sDaMac?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by milhouse:
That's incredible. I actually like the lighter one better than the dark.
Sounds like a typical Mac user. I'm telling you it's a rare Mac user personality type that likes dark themes better.
click one

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 03:00 AM

Sounds like a typical Mac user. I'm telling you it's a rare Mac user personality type that likes dark themes better.
I agree. Most people are using the regular Aqua crap.

Christian

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2003, 03:04 AM

I must say the white one looks great on the iMacs and iBooks

I hope William (bbxstudio) would release it soon after the BBX OMEGA black version.
( Last edited by andretan; Nov 5, 2003 at 06:53 AM. )
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 03:13 AM

If you are using BBX Mercury theme, well, I have converted Max's Safari BBX skin for Camino. You may download it @ my site

http://christian.clark.home.att.net/

Or @ ResExcellence.

BBX - I forgot to ask you this. I hope you will create a Safari Omega Safari skin too so I may convert it to my Camino. And I have added your logo on my favorite sites page. I kinda "change" your logo a little, I hope you don't mind? I have put your logo next with Natasha Yi she is total hot!

Christian

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 06:47 AM

For the time being, it's a black BBX kit coming - don't count on a white one for a while
I just started to read your "Theme Creation Using ThemePark" Guide and found this line:
"- Text colors can be changed, but changes will only appear in Carbon applications, so get used to that black type and forget about designing dark interfaces..."

Hmmm.... ???????????????????????????????????

eFX
Nov 5, 2003, 01:53 PM

If you are using BBX Mercury theme, well, I have converted Max's Safari BBX skin for Camino. You may download it @ my site

http://christian.clark.home.att.net/

Or @ ResExcellence.

BBX - I forgot to ask you this. I hope you will create a Safari Omega Safari skin too so I may convert it to my Camino. And I have added your logo on my favorite sites page. I kinda "change" your logo a little, I hope you don't mind? I have put your logo next with Natasha Yi she is total hot!

Christian
Nice, i like it.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by andretan:
I must say the white one looks great on the iMacs and iBooks

I hope William (bbxstudio) would release it soon after the BBX OMEGA black version.
I think he already said fat-chance on the white version, (in different words). but MIRAI sounds like it will be something for the people who like light themes.
click one

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2003, 04:10 PM

I think he already said fat-chance on the white version, (in different words). but MIRAI sounds like it will be something for the people who like light themes.
Yeah, I know.. I'm just hopin'
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by badidea:
I just started to read your "Theme Creation Using ThemePark" Guide and found this line:
"- Text colors can be changed, but changes will only appear in Carbon applications, so get used to that black type and forget about designing dark interfaces..."

Hmmm.... ???????????????????????????????????
Hmmm... interesting.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 07:50 PM

Hmmm... interesting.
lol he's get everything worked-out.

You said the theme part was almost done a few days ago, what's the status at now? Do you have your design concept for an iTunes controller done yet?
click one

eFX
Nov 5, 2003, 11:09 PM

bbx, you dont mind i ask but will you be making the same amount of wallpapers for Omega as you did for Mercury?

Just i love detailed walls like that especially that factory thing you made cant remember its name.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by eFX:
bbx, you dont mind i ask but will you be making the same amount of wallpapers for Omega as you did for Mercury?
I haven't even looked at the wallpapers yet to be honest... but I'll probably have a good 4 or 5.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 01:56 AM

I haven't even looked at the wallpapers yet to be honest... but I'll probably have a good 4 or 5.
And creation kits too right? That's 1000+ desktops for me if you have photoshop templates for the colors, textures, and other cool logo stuff.
click one

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2003, 05:31 PM

BBX,

26 more days, right?

I am biting my nails until my fingers are bleeding

Christian

eFX
Nov 7, 2003, 06:12 PM

BBX OMEGA for Christmas..., maybe BBXStudio is father Christmas? It will be a great gift

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2003, 09:00 PM

hey bbx release it on the 11th. call it my birthday present.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 10:33 PM

When it's done it's done, so don't hold off until Xmas if it's done at the end of Nov.
click one

milhouse
Senior User
Nov 9, 2003, 02:05 PM

I agree. Most people are using the regular Aqua crap.

Christian
How does liking the contrast and detail of a lighter "monochromatic" theme equate to using the "regular aqua crap"?

Personally I like and run Swiz's SS PowerMetal.

Sort of in the middle in terms of lighter and darker. Monochromatic themes are to my liking more-so than colored stuff.

No matter how Max's BBX is released it's going to look awesome.
"-Dodge This"

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by milhouse:
No matter how Max's BBX is released it's going to look awesome.
I think you're a little mixed up, Max isn't doing this theme, BBX is (William Bart, the origanal designer of BBX Mercury, that was ported to OS X by Max).
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules