Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Google redirect virus

Google redirect virus
Harvey
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2011, 08:14 AM

I am surprised not to find a single question concerning google redirect virus. I have been suffering with it on my iMac, my MacBookPro, and and wife's MacAir for months. I have tried MacKeeper and more recently Kaspersky . If you google it, many so-called fixes will come up but none will amount to anything. Does anybody have the same experience? I know apple is somewhat virus free but my problems are real and annoying. Any and all suggestions will be followed up. Two of my most common redirects are Mevio and MacKeeper.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2011, 08:50 AM

First Look: Trojan Horse warning: What you need to know | Utilities | Macworld

I don't have any experience with this myself. It is a trojan, which means you can only be affected if you manually install this yourself.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2011, 11:12 AM

Harvey, how did you manage to get a Mac trojan that was originally released in 2007 on multiple Macs? I don't believe your story.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2011, 12:37 PM

First, why would I fabricate such a story? Secondly, I was happy to note that I may have a trojan horse and not a virus . . . I think. I did go through all the the recommended tests; from Network settings and DNS servers to using the Terminal. . . all of which showed no Trojan Horse.

This is more than a sometimes annoyance. It occurs 90% of the time when I use Googles top 2 or 3 results and less often when I choose other lower results.

Maybe a clean install is the only answer.

Harvey

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2011, 12:42 PM

What makes you think you have the virus? Have you checked your /etc/hosts file?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2011, 12:54 PM

Your first mistake was installing MacKeeper. Do you have a Linksys router? If you never changed the administrative password on your router, the issue may be with your Linksys and not all your computers.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2011, 01:23 PM

I read somewhere that my servers have been changed (hyjacked) or corrupted. So I changed them with the help of Open DNS. My old servers were: 85.255.113.117 85.255.112.135 68.87.71.230. I replaced these with 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. So far - only been 5 minutes - no redirection has taken place.

Am I on the right track here? Shold I do the same with my Linksys router? Open DNS recommends the router over computers for home use.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
I read somewhere that my servers have been changed (hyjacked) or corrupted. So I changed them with the help of Open DNS. My old servers were: 85.255.113.117 85.255.112.135 68.87.71.230. I replaced these with 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. So far - only been 5 minutes - no redirection has taken place.

Am I on the right track here? Shold I do the same with my Linksys router? Open DNS recommends the router over computers for home use.
You'll need to look in your hosts file. The additional google redirects will be obvious. One of my clients suffered from this last week. He freely admitted he'd been downloading shed loads of "entertainment" and never worries about clicking that little "install" button.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Cold Warrior
Sep 22, 2011, 06:39 PM

If you have not changed the default settings on your linksys, you need to. Ensure WAN login is off and you've chosen a new, unique password.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
I have tried MacKeeper
My money's on this being the problem. I've heard horrible things about that app.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

512ke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2011, 03:05 AM

I dont understand any of this 'google redirect' stuff? Why not 'just dont go there'
Mostly I dont understand why anyone allows anything 'google' near their computer when there are dozens of alternatives to anything you would use google crap to do.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2011, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
I dont understand any of this 'google redirect' stuff? Why not 'just dont go there'
Mostly I dont understand why anyone allows anything 'google' near their computer when there are dozens of alternatives to anything you would use google hashish to do.

The problem has nothing to do with Google. That Google is involved is incidental.

Forum Links
Forum Rules