Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > syncing iMessages

syncing iMessages
Harvey
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2013, 09:44 AM

I am unable to sync my ipad 2 with my iPhone 5. I believe they are both using ios6. Would like to receive responses on my iPhone for messages sent from my iPad. Unable to find the solution online.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2013, 10:06 AM

In the account settings for both devices, make sure that the same email addresses and phone numbers are enabled for iMessage.

also, for the sake of those you're communicating with, set both to send from the same account (preferably the phone number). Otherwise, iMessage chats from iPhone and iPad will show up as separate threads on their machines.

Even if you do everything right, sync is a little strange, sometimes.

Sosa
Senior User
Apr 22, 2013, 05:36 PM

Spheric, I'm having the same issue. My iMessage works exactly like it is supposed to, and I have three accounts linked: phone, comcast, icloud. However a friend's iMessage has just one account, the comcast. I can't figure out how to add the phone number. I've tried clicking on "add email" and using the specific format that is on mine +1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX but it doesn't seem to work. The number just disappears after I select it. On her phone she does have both the comcast email and the phone number obviously. But she is not able to use iMessage to continue conversations from the iPhone like I can.

Any ideas?
( Last edited by Sosa; Apr 22, 2013 at 05:57 PM. )
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules