Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Items in Apple Menu Duplicated / Keyboard Not Working

Items in Apple Menu Duplicated / Keyboard Not Working
idyll
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 02:13 PM

So I just sold a MacBook Pro laptop on eBay that has been working perfectly for me for the past few months... Now that the person received it they are experiencing weird problems, such as items in the Apple menu being duplicated. Upon arrival the keyboard did not work as well, then it started working but the person could only type in all caps, and eventually they could type in small letters but now they are back to square one and all they can type is all caps even though the caps lock key does not light up.

Here are the images the person sent me along for me to check out.

http://thestratagem.com/mac1.jpg
http://thestratagem.com/mac2.jpg

Do any of you know what might be up, could something have occured during shipment? This is really frustrating and I feel pretty awful that the person is experiencing these problems, for it was functioning perfectly right before I shipped it..

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2006, 02:22 PM

In the first pic there is a black square around the back button of the system preferences pane, that seems like voiceover or some accessibilty option.

Tell them to re-install OS X, sounds like something is screwed up.

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 02:33 PM

Hmm, I did not notice that the first time around. Thing is, the keyboard does not seem to work for them in Windows XP either (I think) ?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2006, 02:44 PM

Well try zapping the PRAM, if all else fails tell them to call Apple although they will probably tell you to zap the PRAM,reset the PMU and re-install OS X, before they tell you to ship it off.

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 06:34 PM

Ok, so the person tried everything apparently and is going to visit an Apple Store soon. What are the chances that Apple will fix this problem?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2006, 06:35 PM

New MacBook Pro = Under 1 year warranty = high

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Sep 26, 2006, 12:20 AM

Apparently the person went to an Apple store and they found "liquid damage" on the interior of the laptop so I figure this is what must have been the issue the whole time. It is weird that they would find such damage as I have not spilled anything on the MacBook Pro during my ownership of the laptop and the buyer claims to not have done anything either. They are acting a bit odd as they kept coming to me with more and more problems after leaving very positive feedback and telling me everything is OK?
They are also trying to convince me that they wanted a refund yet told me it was not their intent to get one before the 7 days to receive a refund was up. What am I to do? I don't want to take back a damaged laptop that was perfect before I shipped it.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2006, 01:49 AM

Well then if there is liquid damage, it sounds like they've spilt something on the keyboard and are trying to blame you for it and the problems their water spillage has brought.

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2006, 05:43 AM

Well, he bought it on eBay. Tough luck. This is reason #1 why I don't buy high-priced electronics off of eBay, or any electronics, for that matter.

So now I think we enter phase of "how can I stop from getting screwed?"

The first question we need to ask is: how did he pay for it, and using what method?

If they paid for it via PayPal, you could be in some doodoo. If they paid for it via PayPal AND a credit card, even bigger doodoo. All I can say at this point is "I hope you saved those e-mails."

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Sep 26, 2006, 08:33 PM

Are you saying that I, the seller, am screwed if the buyer paid through PayPal and a credit card?

yeah I have all of the emails saved

Forum Links
Forum Rules