Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What if there's no new MacPro announced on 27th October ?

What if there's no new MacPro announced on 27th October ?
Thread Tools
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2016, 09:37 AM
Does anyone think that even if Apple decide not to deliver a new update to the current MacPro on the 27th October, that this could be the end for the MacPro or could November delivery a surprise update...?

I have been waiting three years now... I have a MacPro 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mid 2010 with 500GB SSD plus 64GM RAM with QTY 3 x 3TB internal drives running macOS Sierra. It's still a great machine.... but there have been OS improvements over the years that aren't compatible with my machine and there have been many advancement in SSD technology, RAM and graphic cards... so a new machine would be a great boost to my graphic design / web design / large format design business.

Any comments most welcome.

Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2016, 11:05 AM
I have given up on guessing what Apple will do with the Mac Pro.

The design Apple made, using Ivy Bridge-EP CPUs and "Tahiti" class AMD GPUs, could trivially have been updated to Haswell-EP and "Hawaii" class AMD GPUs... about two years ago. When I say "trivially", I really mean that. Intel maintains platform compatibility for three generations on its server chips, and the new GPUs were the "1.1" update from the same manufacturer, with the same TDP and other characteristics. Apple could have slotted them in, and could even have kept the old variants around as lower end models. Apple didn't.

So what now? There "Broadwell-EP", the next generation on the same platform, which has been out for a few months by now. There is the AMD "Fiji" GPUs, which are memory limited but otherwise fine, but they're getting old - or Apple could switch to nVidia, if they're friends again. OTOH, the next Intel CPU, "Skylake-EP" and the next GPU of the same design "Vega 10" won't be out for a few months more - both on newer platforms that would require a bigger redesign.

So really they could go either way. The fact that Apple didn't make an MP update two years ago makes me think that they might have given up on the MP, but then they have also left the Mac mini to rot, and the MBP is very long in the tooth now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,