Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Using U-Verse gateway as just a modem, Netgear as router

Using U-Verse gateway as just a modem, Netgear as router
Rumor
Oct 16, 2014, 11:57 AM

I have an Arris NVG589 Gateway from U-Verse that really sucks for wireless transmission. I would like to use my Netgear WNDR3400, that I used before I got U-Verse, as my router.

How can I go about it this? I don't see anything from the gateway that allows me to dumb it down to modem status.

P.S. U-Verse is horrible.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Rumor  (op)
Oct 16, 2014, 12:01 PM

Rumor  (op)
Oct 16, 2014, 06:59 PM

Doesn't work.

P
Oct 17, 2014, 06:36 AM

It mostly works if you just connect the router to the modem and everything else to the router (double NAT). If there are problems, add the router as DMZ in the U-verse unit.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Rumor  (op)
Oct 18, 2014, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
It mostly works if you just connect the router to the modem and everything else to the router (double NAT). If there are problems, add the router as DMZ in the U-verse unit.
Would that cause a conflict? Also, the gateway won't let me change the IPV4 address. I couldn't find where to change it on the Netgear either.

My wife said something about Mercury retrograde and electronics.

P
Oct 19, 2014, 06:45 AM

In general there is a minor conflict in that they tend to use the same internal IP range, but since I have a router very similar to yours (WNDR3700, older and includes Gigabit Ethernet, but otherwise identical), I happen to know that the router will handle that automagically. It will switch the internal IP range that it controls to not conflict, so it will just work.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 19, 2014, 12:38 PM

I have that exact setup, and there's no "double NAT" issue at all. I went through the WHOLE set of instructions very carefully, and still had to remind myself (when things didn't work) to change my home network from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.y.x because my AirPort Extreme still had the same .1.x net... Oops. I wound up with the Uverse box on .2.x and my home net on .0.x (and then had to reset my networked printer's IP later when it wouldn't print...), but that's a different story.

I can see several places where one could easily skip or misread part of a step, and the whole thing would fail. Take your time, have the instructions printed or up on an iPad or something while you go through it.

I went from an "up to" 6Mb download speed to "up to" 18Mb down connection, and I usually get 21-23Mbps down, over my AirPort's WiFi. Lovin' it!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rumor  (op)
Oct 20, 2014, 08:14 PM

Glenn, the gateway would not let me change the IPV4 address to 192.168.2.X.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 21, 2014, 07:26 AM

Were you able to log into the gateway at all? Did you remember to re-connect with the computer you plugged into the gateway with? That messed with me, even though I've changed device networks in the past with a variety of different modems and routers...I just forgot to do it.

timbrashear77
Banned
Oct 29, 2014, 01:23 PM

Thanks ghporter and Rumor for share your thoughts. i was faced same problem but now i got some idea

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2014, 01:31 PM

Please post back about your experience. There's something between the way I did it and the way Rumor has tried that is different. Maybe you can shed some light on what it might have been.

Forum Links
Forum Rules