Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Would be a 15" DVI PB be a fair trade for an iBook G4 800?

Would be a 15" DVI PB be a fair trade for an iBook G4 800?
Lunchable Food
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2004, 12:46 AM

I don't know where else to ask this, so I'll ask it here:

Currently, I own a 12" iBook G4 800 Mhz. It's stock, except for the 512 MB RAM. giving it a total of 640.

I like this little mofo, but the emphasis is on "little". I'd like to trade up to a 15" Powerbook.

Since I want to trading up for screen real estate, I think I've got to go with the post DVI models, which have the 1280x854 screen. That leaves me with the 667 Powerbook, because everything else after is as fast or faster, and everything before is the old 1152x768 resolution.

So......

Tradeoffs:

Powerbook 667 DVI vs. iBook G4-800

- 667 MHz vs. 800 MHz - advantage iBook
- 1280x854 vs. 1024x768 - advantage PB
- both RAM slots available vs. only 1 available - advantage PB
- Airport vs. Airport Extreme - advantage iBook
- Ethernet 1000 vs. Ethernet 100 - advantage PB
- PC card slot vs. nope - advantage PB
- Radeon 7500 vs. Radeon 9200 - advantage iBook

Everything else, as far as I can tell is equivalent, or nearly so.

So, this isn't a question of what you would do, but rather would you consider the two machines to be of equal value for a straight across swap from the point of view of value? And if not, how much money would you say has to be thrown in to sweeten the deal?

Thanks!
iBook G4/800

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2004, 07:39 AM

I would go with the TiBook given what you say your wants are.
I just did get rid of a 1ghz iBook and stayed with my 667 DVI Ti as my main computer.
The Ti to me is a lot more solid,The Ibook made all sorts of creaking noises around the keyboard and I thought the keyboard just sucked overall.

I have 1gig of ram in the Ti and an 802.11G PC Card in the slot.
It was not as snappy as the iBook but as a desktop the Ti smoked it with the better screen and keyboard and solid construction.

So then I got a Refreshed 12"PB and am comparing it to the Ti right now.
I am typing this in a hotel room on the 12". I really like the form of this one and the keyboard is SOOOO! much better than the Ibook.
Now I can't decide if I should keep the Ti as a desktop and the 12" to travel.
I do like them both.

For me it really comes down to the screen vs. portability as I don't have real speed problems with the Ti.

Lunchable Food  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2004, 11:15 AM

Well, the trick will be to find a 667 owner to trade with.....

I agree that I WANT the 667, but I'm trying to determine if asking for a trade straight across is a reasonable offer, or if I'll be ridiculed for making such a proposal.....to me it seems like a sound trade.
iBook G4/800

banninated68
Banned
Dec 22, 2004, 02:52 AM

Actually the 7500 is a better card than the new 9200.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx...var1=98&var2=0

Check it out. I'm in a similar position, I have an 800mhz dvi, and I'm contemplating selling it for a 1.2 ghz g4 12" ibook. Not sure if I want to do it yet... faster CPU, but smaller screen, kb, less cache, shittier graphics, and .... it's so white. White gets dirty and scratches. tibooks look hot and stay nice lookin.

Hrm.

- Rob

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2004, 04:00 AM

Specs on paper dont mean a thing for video cards. If you're going to play 3d games, the 9200 is much more advanced than the 7500, such as supporting anisotropic filtering and pixel shaders.

I'm not sure if OS X takes advantage of these, but I'd rather have a more current generation video card than a higher end previous gen card.
MBP 1.83

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by banninated68:
Actually the 7500 is a better card than the new 9200.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx...var1=98&var2=0
the 9200 is much faster than the 7500.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2005, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by EdipisReks:
the 9200 is much faster than the 7500.
According to the reports, no it is not. It also runs hotter compared to 7500, hence the added (and always on! grrr!) fan for later Ti PowerBooks.

To answer the thread's question, yes I would consider them hot-swappable , though they are hard to compare.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2005, 06:54 AM

I'd keep the iBook and get an external monitor.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2005, 04:56 PM

My 667 DVI was arguably the coolest and quietest running unit of the Ti series and one of the best laptops I've had. Primary reason was OS9 capable and beautiful screen. Although I have few regrets switching to my present 17" I still miss it. That remark about the Ti's finish is prefered over the white iBook is something I do not agree with however. I had to keep covering the chipping finish with auto stripe tape till I finally sold it for the 17".

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

I would never buy a laptop without a pc card slot though. I love my Verizon broadband card now and won't part with it, as shown at the bottom of the same above mentioned web page. My opinion; broadband capability will be the probable immediate future of laptops and you won't need a broadband card; it will be built in. For me right now it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I expect prices will fall eventually.

Forum Links
Forum Rules