Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Reformatting with Tiger

Reformatting with Tiger
Masters2010
Mar 5, 2006, 01:06 PM

Anyways, I'm trying to reformat my powerbook with tiger right now. It was already installed on it, just reformatting it for sale. However, I can't quite get it to work. I start it up with the disk in, hold down c, and I get the blue screen that refuses to go away. I tried resetting the PRAM and it still didnt' work. I was going to try and reset Open Firmware but when I held command-option-o-f I just got a blank black screen. Do you guys have any ideas how I might get this done? Should I try and boot it from my ipod or macbook? Thanks

Also, the computer's screen isn't working. I believe it is a bad logic board- the screen is white and displays nothing, but it works off an external monitor. Does this have anything to do with it? I need help soon, my ebay auction ends in two days.

Patrick

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2006, 02:50 PM

Hmm, you've got a laundry list of problems there. First off, did you let your bidders know about these problems? Would not be kosher to slip them a PB with a junk logic board.

Addressing the problem, I would try to boot off an external drive and see if you get anywhere. I'm assuming that since you haven't been able to reformat your drive yet that you've still got a funcitoning OS on it. What happens when you boot from you internal drive? Get anywhere?

My guess is that you're on to something with the logic board. The range of problems you're having is quite wide and, from my general experience, indicative of a large problem. Here's hoping I'm wrong though.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

Masters2010  (op)
Mar 5, 2006, 06:52 PM

Yes, I let my bidders know about these problems, saying that it could be anything from a logic board to a connection, simply because I don't know. Just from describing the problem to my friend though, he thinks it is a logic board. This is all made quite clear in the auction FYI.

When you say boot from the internal drive, I guess you mean just starting up. I can use the comptuer fine off an external monitor, everything is normal and it works perfectly. When I put in the OS install disk though and restart, the screen just stays blue. How might I boot off an external drive? I'm not all that familiar with this stuff, and need be, I can use my macbook in target mode if necessary.

But please, with any solutions, please explain thoroughly for my lack of powerbook education. Thanks

Masters2010  (op)
Mar 5, 2006, 11:23 PM

Ooooh, oooh! So my friend figured out what it was. When I have been trying to reformatt, the computer has been using my external monitor as a secondary monitor, so i thought I was getting a blue screen, but I wasn't. Anyways, now i figured that out and I can see my mouse on the external monitor when I scroll over. However, I can't mirror the screen with the f7 key or see any of the setup stuff on the other screen. How can I mirror them to set it up and actually see what I'm doing?

Masters2010  (op)
Mar 6, 2006, 02:40 AM

Well, after an hour or so of randomly clicking and dragging in hopes of bringing whatever it said on my powerbook installation to my external monitor. After finally succeeding, it says on the mac os X install window "This software cannot be installed on this computer." I put the tiger disk (that I bought for my Powerbook awhile ago and used sucessfully) and repeated this process, and it too said it couldn't be installed. Is this computer really messed up?

Masters2010  (op)
Mar 6, 2006, 11:25 PM

Any ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules