Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac Dual 2.5 G5 CPU Dead?

PowerMac Dual 2.5 G5 CPU Dead?
bestefar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2008, 03:18 AM

I have the iStat widget installed that measures CPU temperature. Previously, it showed temperatures for both an A and B CPU. I just noticed that it is registering only CPU A. Additionally, when I go to "About this MAC" it says there is only one CPU. Did the "B" CPU die? It's been acting a little strange in addition to the iStat widget data. Can anyone help me troubleshoot?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2008, 07:41 AM

What about Activity Monitor and System Profiler? Do they also only show 1?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

bestefar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2008, 02:40 AM

The system profiler showed only one CPU. I shut the G5 down last night and now it won't boot at all. When I try, the fans go to high rpm. Nothing but a spinning circle.

My Apple Care expire a month ago... What to do?

Cei
Apr 8, 2008, 01:58 PM

Afraid to say it sounds like the CPU has died, or the logic board. The inability to power up is really not a good one, especially now you're out of AppleCare.

bestefar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2008, 03:39 PM

Can someone explain how to use system profiler or activity monitor to check on the CPUs. I tried that last night and was unable to get status information on the CPUs from either of these.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2008, 03:48 PM

Did you get it to boot again?

You can try using "Processor" preference pane to see what processors are working and perhaps try to disable the broken processor B from being used by OS X.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 08:10 PM

Go read the reporting on this an xlr8yourmac.com quickly.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2008, 03:40 AM

Try this first, press the PMU reset button on the logic board while power is unplugged. Wait 5 seconds, plg back in and try. OR...

You can also carefully "re-seat" the CPUs on the logic board. Depending on the model, you may need a long Philips#2 screwdriver or 2mm hex or something like that. (you can generally just peer in and find out)

Sometimes reseating the processors will do the trick. worth a try.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2008, 01:10 PM

Could it be a cooling issue?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bestefar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2008, 06:12 PM

Thanks for posting the website. Very interesting. It sounds like coolant leakage from the liquid-cooled G5s is "known issue" to lots of people. I'm certainly sorry I bought one, but will see what Apple can/will do for me. It sounds as if the repairs are very expensive.

misterdna
Apr 15, 2008, 06:41 PM

I had a coolant leak on my dual 2.7 G5! So did you actually see the liquid? All it took in my case was leaning the Mac forward and liquid dripped out.

I was under Apple Care. Apple asked me go to go to an authorized Mac service center, but they didn't replace as much as Apple told me they were supposed to have, and I ended up getting a replacement G5 in the mail.
( Last edited by misterdna; Apr 16, 2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: duh, i have a dual 2.7 G5, the dual 500 is the G4)

Forum Links
Forum Rules