Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac G4 hardrive replacement

PowerMac G4 hardrive replacement
snackhound
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2008, 06:19 AM

morning all,

I want to remove the original 60gb hardrive from a G4 PowerMac (mirrored doors). I've opened the case and found the Hard drives, Most Apple kit I have worked on is fairly straight forward but the HD appears to be in some kind of caddy with space and connections for fitting an extra HD in the same cady. It looks like you may have to remove the optical drives to get access to the cady but this seems like a lot of work to get to the HD's.

Does anyone know how to remove this cady so that the HD can be replaced. I have found guides online for most other G4 PowerMacs but have been unable to locate one for this configuration.

Can any one help?

Snacky

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2008, 07:06 AM

Gutting the mirror door G4s are a whole lotta fun.... not. But, find the screw at the top/center of the caddy. Press the plastic tab on the left side of the caddy, lift it out. You do not need to remove any other components.

snackhound  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2008, 08:01 AM

Thanks Sheman,
I just worked that out and then noticed your reply.

Snacky

David Lee
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2008, 08:55 PM

Be sure to use the cable select option by setting the jumpers on the HD before you connect the drive to the cable. You know that the rear set of drives uses a 100 ATA bus and the front set uses a 66 ATA bus, so in theory, the rear set should be slightly faster (I haven't noticed any big difference).

Forum Links
Forum Rules