Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread"

Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread" (Page 49)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I heard an interesting take on the whole Acosta affair by a Fox contributor during 1A's friday news roundup. He posited that Trump knows which reporters are more difficult/combative and purposely calls on them so he can do his tough-guy/the-press-is-the-enemy-of-the-people shtick for the cameras (and his faithful followers) to see. It's theater.
Yeah, I think this is true. It lets him do his alpha male bully shit which his supporters love too.

Notice he's been telling a lot of reporters their questions are dumb or they're dumb rather than answer them too.

Coincidentally he insulted like three black female reporters in one week.

Thorzdad
Nov 17, 2018, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Coincidentally he insulted like three black female reporters in one week.
Trump's version of Affirmative Action?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
That isn't the instance that comes to mind... that looks like a person interrupting a statement and being disruptive. Not a reporter asking a question when they had the mike.

Ah, it was a protester.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ob...ss-conference/

What came out of the instance I'm thinking of, was CNN stood up for Fox, just like Fox is surprisingly standing up for CNN now.
Sorry, I thought I had canceled the post. I looked it up while I had the post window open. I did a search and saw it was a protester and not a reporter. I closed the window thinking it was canceled.

In any case, Obama told the protestor they were invited and to behave in his house. When the protestor did not, Obama had them removed while the crowd chanted “Obama, Obama, Obama!
45/47

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2018, 11:59 AM

Does anyone else feel like Google and Apple are going to keep adding news to more and more apps until Trump isn’t president anymore? It’s getting old.

Thorzdad
Nov 27, 2018, 05:42 PM

The White House has blocked the CIA Director from briefing the Senate on the Khashoggi killing.
Haspel’s the only US official who has heard the recordings of the killing.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2018, 05:44 PM

Yeah, no reason given.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 27, 2018, 06:40 PM

Presumably Haspel took a US translator along for the Arabic parts. The horrific screaming would not need translating.

If someone in the Senate found out the translator's name, they could summon that extra witness.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 8, 2018, 03:25 PM

I suspect Trump will stop harping about Hillary's private email server.

Not only did Ivanka use private email. Now it turns out Scott Pruitt (former EPA chief) used private email too.
Scott Pruitt – who left the administration this summer after months of controversy over his spending, travel and ties with industry – used his private email account for work over a period of months, according to records recently made available to the Sierra Club.
Now if Trump will just start using his secured phone for calls. So other nations cannot listen to every personal call he makes.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2018, 08:46 PM

Pruitt was investigated for that OK. That's the biggest non surprise.

I'd like to see anti-corruption legislation where that's an automatic termination.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 8, 2018, 10:53 PM

An update on this. Abigail Spanberger won the race by 6,600 votes, and is set to join the House in January. Though it's not clear if the security clearance leak influenced the vote. I also don't know if anyone has been prosecuted for the leak. Her website is silent on the issue. As is Wikipedia.

OreoCookie
Dec 9, 2018, 09:08 AM

The leak clearly came from the GOP campaign, and I don't think any good will come of this if her campaign had made this a major campaign issue — she would have kept the story alive and probably done more damage. She won the race, and so I don't see any advantage for her to push for any further action. Which is sad, because someone broke the law to smear her.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thorzdad
Dec 29, 2018, 12:36 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 8, 2019, 12:07 AM

reader50
Administrator
Jan 8, 2019, 03:02 AM

I hope Ms. Minton does not live nearby. Does she mention which people are supposed to be hurt?

OreoCookie
Jan 8, 2019, 04:13 AM

Not her, evidently.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 8, 2019, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I hope Ms. Minton does not live nearby. Does she mention which people are supposed to be hurt?
I assume liberals and by extension minorities.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2019, 02:04 AM

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2019, 07:11 AM

Takes two to tango. Why blame murderers? Just as inconsiderate of the victims to go around dying...

FFS.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Jan 9, 2019, 09:07 AM

Mighty nice of the AP to forget Trump kicked-off this whole mess by first agreeing to funding provided by a bipartisan bill that passed both houses, only to go back on his word at the last minute and launch his $5-billion boondoggle.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2019, 11:07 AM

I mean, Trump even said he'd take the blame.

Thorzdad
Jan 9, 2019, 12:28 PM

I think he assumed all opposition would quickly crumble and retreat before him, and never believed he'd actually have to take any blame.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2019, 02:31 PM

Meh, Trump is going to declare martial law, dissolve Congress, suspended Habeaus Corpus, have Pelosi, Schumer, Hillary et al arrested and sent to Gitmo.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2019, 02:40 PM

These were posted minutes after.

45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2019, 11:40 PM

There is no denying that shit was creepy. Schumer in particular.

Of course it would help if the combined age of leadership was older than the emancipation proclamation.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 10, 2019, 01:24 PM

Are two-person podiums not a thing?

Thorzdad
Jan 10, 2019, 03:07 PM

Yes, but that department is closed during the shutdown.

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2019, 03:15 PM

lecterns? no. Podiums are as big as the stage you are standing on.

Thorzdad
Jan 15, 2019, 10:46 AM

Thorzdad
Jan 16, 2019, 12:58 PM

Looks like Pelosi has uninvited Trump to give the State of the Union address.
In terms of how the politics of the SotU works, the leader of the House is the one calling the shots. It's not a suggestion that Trump not address Congress. She's telling him it ain't gonna happen. Period.

andi*pandi
Jan 16, 2019, 03:05 PM

He could submit a written report.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 16, 2019, 03:31 PM

Tales from the shutdown: in Oregon, Dan Little (husband of the state Governor) recently tidied up filthy bathrooms at Mount Hood national forest’s sno-park. Then sent his $28 bill to President Trump.
“This is just one of the many reasons I love my husband,” the governor [Kate Brown] tweeted on Friday. “Like many national parks across the country, [he] found it a mess due to the partial government shutdown.”
The story has a nice before-after picture of the work. Looks like he did a good job. And may have provided his own tissue rolls at no charge.

The receipt looks like he charged Trump $10 for transportation to drive to the park, plus $18 labor to clean multiple bathrooms. It doesn't mention the exact number. But if he spent a few hours working (not counting the trip time), he's working below minimum wage. $28 is very reasonable in my opinion. But he'll probably be stiffed.
Little hasn’t received the $28 he charged Donald Trump yet, according to a spokesperson in Brown’s office. It’s unlikely he’ll ever see the cash, since Trump openly blames Democrats for the shutdown.

Thorzdad
Feb 23, 2019, 06:13 PM

Trump admin issues gag order to family-planning orgs.
The new rule forbids even mentioning abortion.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 25, 2019, 10:14 AM

Is there a more neutrally-written article available? That one was pretty rough and seems to follow the current trend of blowing up implications with a bunch of "could mean" and "appears to" statements and picks sides when using titles - no one says "anti-abortion" unless they've already picked a side. Bonus points for using "gag rule" in scare quotes six different times in the article.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2019, 04:52 PM

Any thoughts on what's his name's testimony yesterday? It was on at the doctor's office so I accidentally heard some of it.

Thorzdad
Feb 28, 2019, 05:28 PM

I mostly avoided it as best I could. One interesting-ish side note that I’ve seen mentioned was Cohen voicing his opinion that, should Trump lose in 2020, there won’t be a peaceful transition. Kind of an odd thing to say.

Thorzdad
Apr 6, 2019, 09:28 AM

andi*pandi
Apr 6, 2019, 05:41 PM

I like how he made them give him a real vest finally.

Thorzdad
Apr 13, 2019, 12:10 PM

reader50
Administrator
Apr 13, 2019, 01:36 PM

I assumed it was for terrorist activities - disabled people might be making bombs in all their spare time.

The actual story is just depressing. Apparently you have to be bedridden 24/7 to be above suspicion.

Thorzdad
Apr 13, 2019, 03:18 PM

I suppose the idea could be borne out of the need to pay for that big tax cut (that was supposed to pay for itself but isn't.) That, and/or the desire to gut social services. "Fraud" is a go-to excuse for kneecapping all sorts of things. Voting, for instance.

Thorzdad
Jun 13, 2019, 03:56 PM

Thorzdad
Jun 29, 2019, 06:00 PM

Here’s what el Presidente has planned for the 4th of July celebration in DC that he hijacked.
Basically a campaign rally in front of the Lincoln memorial, with the mall reserved for ticketed fans.

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2019, 07:16 PM

The mall is supposed to be for the public - has it ever been reserved like this?

Thorzdad
Jun 30, 2019, 01:24 PM

Here in Indianapolis, the Catholic archdiocese has been busy firing any employees who are in a same-sex marriage. This involves several area schools that fall under the archdiocese's control.

Recently, they ordered a local Jesuit high school to fire a teacher who is in a same-sex marriage. The high school, though, is exclusively run by the Jesuit order, and not the Indianapolis archdiocese. The Jesuits essentially told the archdiocese to go pound sand. They refused to fire the teacher. The archdiocese then declared that they would no longer recognize the school as Catholic.

The archdiocese has been able to get away with the firing of lay employees by having them defined as "teachers of the faith" no matter that they don't actually teach religion or faith-based subjects. This is a loophole that stems from the unanimous SCOTUS ruling in in Hosanna-Tabor Evangelical Luthern Church and School vs. EEOC which held that federal discrimination laws do not apply to religious organizations' selection of religious leaders.

Thorzdad
Jul 25, 2019, 10:27 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2019, 05:28 PM

^^^^^

Hilarious!!!

OAW

Thorzdad
Aug 10, 2019, 03:10 PM

Who had “Epstein dies while in custody” in the raffle?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2019, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Who had “Epstein dies while in custody” in the raffle?
And continued deep state conspiracy theory in 3...2...1...
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad
Aug 11, 2019, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
And continued deep state conspiracy theory in 3...2...1...
Oh, it started almost immediately. In some of the darker corners, it's an absolute "fact" that the Clintons are behind Epstein's "suicide."

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2019, 06:36 AM

Plenty have motive for wanting him dead. I would think opportunity is strongest with someone still in power given the proclivity for installing blindly loyal yes men and him being on suicide watch.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules