Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Decent free app for screenshots in OS X?

Decent free app for screenshots in OS X?
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2020, 02:00 PM

This is what I use on all my Windows devices:
https://getsharex.com

It's freaking awesome. I haven't been able to find a free app for OS X that has the same (or similar) feature set. Specifically what I'm looking for:
  • Copy image to clipboard (this one is mandatory)
  • Capture a region, application window, or full desktop (this one is mandatory too)
  • Global keyboard shortcuts (mandatory, menu bar shortcut is sort of okay)
  • Save screenshot to specified folder
  • Show a history of screenshots

SnapNDrag doesn't offer keyboard shortcuts or the menu bar icon for grabbing screenshots unless I pay for it. Just curious if anyone's found a good free alternative.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

reader50
Administrator
May 24, 2020, 02:53 PM

The built-in options are substantial, though they vary by macOS version. shift-command-5 for the screenshop app, where you can control what the keyboard shortcuts do.

In macOS, click on Help menu, type in "screenshots" - should bring up "Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac". A mini-tutorial on available options.
Screenshots - Apple Support.

andi*pandi
May 24, 2020, 03:07 PM

I used to use SnapzProX a long time ago, I think it had time delay (for activating pulldowns) and avoiding having the mouse pointer in the shot. Ambrosia seems to be gone now though.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2020, 10:39 PM

I just flattened the only Mac I own that officially supports Catalina - my i7 Mid-2012 13" MBP. I discovered the built-in screenshot tool that I'm guessing is new since El Capitan, because I don't recall finding it on my other Intel Macs. This is definitely good for this device, but I'm stuck on El Capitan for most of my other Intel Macs.

Is it worth patching Catalina to run on my older hardware? I think the 15" pre-unibody MBP can probably handle it (until the GPU craps out lol), but I have a second gen MBA and I don't know how that'd go.

I think I might use InstantShot!, which I completely forgot about - it's old, but I think it might work.

reader50
Administrator
May 24, 2020, 11:16 PM

You don't need Catalina for this. Advanced screen shots are definitely in Mojave (patcher) and might be in High Sierra (patcher). High Sierra runs fine on HFS+, so you don't have to mess with APFS. Mojave preserves your 32-bit apps, and can run under HFS+ with some functionality loss (mainly software updates).

How does one flatten a laptop? With a car?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2020, 01:31 AM

Aggressively and with lots of swearing.

I figured I might as well update my stuff to the latest it'll support, and I just upgraded the SSD in the MacBook Pro, so I needed to reinstall anyhow.

This APFS stuff is trippy - I've not used OS X beyond El Capitan. My MBP's drive was perpetually low on disk space, so I never got around to freeing up enough space to actually upgrade. I did discover that booting with SIP disabled makes it trivial to remount the system container as read-write, so at least it's easy to work around.

What's the best OS X to run on these?

1. Mid-2010 13" MBP (2.4GHz C2D, GeForce 320M)
2. Late 2008 13" MBA (1.6GHz C2D, GeForce 9400M)
3. 15" Santa Rosa MacBook Pro (2.4GHz C2D, GeForce 8600M)
4. Black MacBook (2.0GHz C2D, Intel GMA 950)

The black MB is running Snow Leopard...I was under the impression it wasn't worth running anything newer. That graphics processor is pathetic. Everything else is currently running El Capitan. I'll put High Sierra on the MBP since it supports it, I suppose.

reader50
Administrator
May 25, 2020, 04:03 AM

#4 MacBook with GMA 950 - can run up to Mountain Lion with graphics acceleration. Although ML shipped with only the 64-bit kernel, the first dev preview included the 32-bit kernel. So a hacked install of ML just runs with the 32-bit kernel, and I believe everything works as normal. Apple never paid to recompile the driver for 64-bit operation, so this is the highest OS you can reach with acceleration.

You can go up to Yosemite actually, using software rendering. Modern browsers like Firefox support 10.9 onwards.

So I'd partition the drive three ways. Install SL, ML, and Yosemite. For best compatibility with older software, best overall experience, and modern internet access respectively. That's what I did with mine.

#1 is officially supported through High Sierra. If you install Mojave, you'll get some graphical glitches, which can be minimized by using Dark Mode. I have a 2011 rather than your 2010, so my experience won't be identical. I've left mine on HS rather than try Mojave, mostly because I've got a bad GPU. The workarounds are fine, but Mojave installer gets in trouble overwriting them. I gave up my one Mojave install attempt, without debugging the install process. You shouldn't have those roadblocks.

#2-3 I don't know anything personally about these models.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2020, 10:38 AM

Cmd-Shift-3 for full screenshot saved to the desktop (add Ctrl. to take screenshot to the Clipboard) and Cmd-Shift-4 for screenshot of a selection (hit space to toggle between drag selection and full window) with the Ctrl. addition for copying it to the clipboard instead of saving it have been in Mac OS since forever.

The Cmd-Shift-4 thing may have got added in the early days of Mac OS X, but Cmd-Shift-3 has been part of Mac OS since probably the late 80s.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2020, 01:01 PM

The Cmd-Shift-4 thing may have got added in the early days of Mac OS X, but Cmd-Shift-3 has been part of Mac OS since probably the late 80s.
Yeah, the original shortcuts I just dislike a lot. It's disorganized for me.

I send screenshots often, so I really like the smooth workflow with ShareX - hit print screen, drag a region, and paste into an email, chat, tweet, whatever.

I think InstantShot! is probably my best option at this point.

I might put Mountain Lion on the Blackbook. I haven't decided yet. It's a pristine machine, so I'm disinclined to use it too much, because I don't want to put strain on the top case where it's notorious for cracking. I already managed to inflict some stress lines along the edge where it cracks most often.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2020, 05:38 PM

Cmd-Shift-CTRL-4 has allowed selection or window Screenshot to clipboard at least since 2008.

There‘s also the „Grab“ app in the Utilities folder, and if you „man screencapture“ in Terminal, you can get a bunch of additional options.

andi*pandi
May 25, 2020, 07:37 PM

I use cmd-shift-ctrl-4 all the time.

ghporter
Administrator
May 27, 2020, 12:05 PM

I haven’t bothered with a third-party app for screen shots. I just use the OS tools.

But I don’t use them often enough to even really remember the shortcuts, so maybe that says something about my needs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules