Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Adding Airport Express to Network

Adding Airport Express to Network
bestefar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2008, 03:24 AM

I wanted to use my Airport Express with my stereo to stream iTunes. I had it set up in a wireless network as follows: PowerMac G5 and Airport Express were plugged in to a Linksys router via ethernet. I then set up the Airport Express using my wife's PC laptop. This worked great for the past two years. However, I wanted to extend the range of the network and so I bought an Airport Extreme. Apple advised me to "take down" the previous network, so I did. I then set up the Airport Extreme with no problem. I thought I could just add the Airport Express to the network, but have been unable to do so. The new network configuration uses the Airport Extreme as both base station and router, so I have it set up as follows. I've plugged the DSL modem into the Airport Extreme as well as the PowerMac. G5. I even tried plugging in the Airport Express via cable into the Airport Extreme to get it to recognize it, but it didn't work. Can anyone suggest a way to set up what I want? I've been searching this forum and the internet for the past two hours and can't find any answer. Should I go back to my wife's PC and try to set up the network from there? That's about the only thing I haven't tried that I can think of.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 18, 2008, 03:13 PM

Get the networks named the same, for starts. I've done this with the 10/100 square extreme and an express. Can't recollect anything that was unusual about making it work.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2008, 04:02 AM

Disconnect the Express. Hook up the Extreme to your router through Ethernet (use the Extreme's WAN port) and make sure your router's wireless options (if it has any) are turned off. Set up the Extreme to run a wireless network. Connect the G5 to the Extreme through one of the Extreme's LAN ports. Reset the Express. Set it up as a wireless client, not a wireless base or WDS remote/relay.

The auto-setup in AirPort Utility should let you do these things quite easily without any manual intervention. If you want to change stuff manually you might need to hook up the Express through wired Ethernet at first.

Make sure the Express connects to the properly named wireless network (the one your Extreme is hosting). Obviously if you use WPA2 (which you probably should) the Express needs to have the proper p/w. And if you use MAC address filtering the Express' MAC address needs to be on the Extreme's MAC address list.

Forum Links
Forum Rules