Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bluetooth headset for computer

Bluetooth headset for computer
tyson.r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2003, 02:14 PM

Anyone know if this would work?

Take a Plantronics M1500 headset

(http://www.computers4sure.com/produc...0389&affid=673)

and some kind of splitter/adapter combo to get it into the analog audio in/out of a mac.

I thought this would be useful for internet telephoning or ichat AV. Could get a semi usefull range in my apartment.

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2003, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by tyson.r:
Anyone know if this would work?

Take a Plantronics M1500 headset

(http://www.computers4sure.com/produc...0389&affid=673)

and some kind of splitter/adapter combo to get it into the analog audio in/out of a mac.

I thought this would be useful for internet telephoning or ichat AV. Could get a semi usefull range in my apartment.

A bluetooth headset for mobile phones dont seem to have support in OS X. I have tryed to setup my original Ericsson Bluetooth headset earlier with 10.2 with no luck.

tyson.r  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 12:22 AM

This solution wouldn't rely on the macs bluetooth at all. It would be an analog solution the way I envision it. The bluetooth adapter that comes with this headset uses the analog interface common to cell phones "hands free kits" and cordless phones headset jacks.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 06:15 AM

That has some sort of mini Jack - so it would only fit into the headphones or line-in ports.

You can't have it plugged into both at the same time (unless you got some kind of splitter (if such a thing exists))

These ports are not bi-directional - headphones is just audio out (of the computer) and line-in is just audio in to the computer.

for bi-directional audio you need at least USB. (I think)

tyson.r  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 04:21 PM

Diggory:
Like I said in the thread, i would need a splitter of some sort.

I think I may have found one.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=26%2D204

Seems like it would be a cool solution for audio chat...would make it very versatile. Not cheap though...like 120 with parts.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2003, 09:16 PM

motorola has one. says works with computers and cell phones.

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 07:08 AM

The Jabra PR blurb about the new Freespeak 250 says that it support both handsfree and headset profiles. The D-Link 120 revision B3 does too (according to the D-link rep) so the two should pair. The Jabra BT-200 is reputed to be OK as well and a distributor is coming to my office next week to demo it. I'll report back on what happens.

Orange micro (orangemicro.com) has a Jabra BT-200 headset and BT dongle that are supposed to support headset profiles later this year under OS X (perhaps after Panther ships).

As far as I can see this is ideal technology to use with iSight and iChat but Apple seems late to the table with some sort of hardware offering. Perhaps they will pull a finger out as BT mice and keyboards catch on!

tyson.r  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 01:07 AM

Wow, thanks for the infos rocky2.

Looks like the orange micro solution could prove to be more flexible than the analong conversion I was planning on. Lets hope they come with the support soon. Either way, let us know how it goes with teh rep. I'm eager to know how much range you can get in your office.

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2003, 12:26 AM

I had a demo from the local Jabra developers in my office today and sure enough the Jabra BT200 pairs with the D-Link 120 (upgraded with latest firmware from Apple). Mac OS X 10.3 discovers the headset as the Jabra BT200 and the pairing is strong up to about 25 feet. Now the downside--although paired, the Jabra BT200 profile does not display connected and does not appear in the list of audio input and output devices so it cannot be selected as a voice source or audio output! I guess something is still missing in Panther that enabled audio over Bluetooth on the OS X.
Has anybody seen/know a solution?

tyson.r  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the report Rocky.

The solution I've come up with is analog. I found someone on ebay that is willing to sell a BT dongle for $35 shipped. It allows connection to a 2.5mm in/out jack. I also came across a jabra 2.5mm to 1/4" in/out on ebay. That would work I think. I decided against it at this time. I'll wait until there is a proven solution. I picked up an isight instead

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2003, 12:02 AM

It seems that the required profile to make a paired Jabra headset available for selection in the Sound preferences is the Audio Gateway profile. Apple needs to implement this in OS X and then the headset could be used with iChat, etc.

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 05:11 PM

FWIW, just heard from a knowledgable source that Apple is soon to release the necessary OS X 10.3 BT drivers for the Jabra BT200.

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 07:47 PM

Well 10.3.1 did not bring any support for the Jabra 10.3.1 but I have heard from a source in Apple and from orange micro that this is expected by the year (2003) end.
Still keeping fingers crossed.

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2003, 06:51 PM

Apple released Bluetooth 1.4.1 today and I was hoping that it would bring full support for the Jabra range of headsets. No such luck--the BT200 can pair pefectly but an active connection cannot be maintained even after pressingthe headset connect button and the device still does not appear in the Sound preference Input and Output tabs.
When Apple?

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 08:20 PM

10.3.2 is due out any day and it is reported to have changes to audio and blutetooth so maybe we'll get lucky this time around?

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 05:15 AM

Damn it Apple--still no support for the Jabra Freespeak BT headset in 10.3.2!

When?

cwasko
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 12:09 PM

Yea, totally lame.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 13, 2004, 11:26 AM

I don't seem any option to mate my Sony Ericsson HBH-65 Bluetooth headset with OS X.3 Panther.

jimchad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 08:34 PM

Anyone thinking of trying to get an audio interface working through BlueTooth, save your money. This information is on the Apple Developer site. Under 'Working with BlueTooth'.

The Bluetooth specification defines two types of links between Bluetooth devices:

Synchronous, Connection-Oriented (SCO), for isochronous and voice communication using, for example, headsets

Asynchronous, Connectionless (ACL), for data communication, such as the exchange of vCards

Each link type is associated with a specific packet type. A SCO link provides reserved channel bandwidth for communication between a master and a slave, and supports regular, periodic exchange of data with no retransmission of SCO packets. At this time, Apple does not support SCO links.

What this means is 'whatever you try with BlueTooth audio it wont work'. (OSX 10.3 or before). Apple says that is its committed to developing BT as quickly as pos, so lets hope for good news in the future. Also there is a new BT spec due anytime soon so Apple may have something waiting in the wings.
Fingers crossed....

Jim

perbl
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2004, 07:08 PM

I guess this goes for voice gateway from phone to computer in order to use my powerbook�s microphone and speakers to receive calls.

Does anyone know if there are other programs that can provide this functionality?

tyson.r  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2004, 08:43 PM

Our day has come....

My Jabra pairs beautifully with my d-link DT adapter. Audio throughout the OS looks supported. Flakey connection and bad quality, but I'm so excited to see this finally implemented. Range is also quite good. Through 2 plaster walls into my kitchen with minimal loss in quality.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by tyson.r:
Our day has come....

My Jabra pairs beautifully with my d-link DT adapter. Audio throughout the OS looks supported. Flakey connection and bad quality, but I'm so excited to see this finally implemented. Range is also quite good. Through 2 plaster walls into my kitchen with minimal loss in quality.
How did you connect yours? I have an HBH-30, and I have managed to pair it, but I can't fingure out how to actually connect it so I can use it with iChat... Any tips?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

jimchad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 08:00 PM

Yes Apple now supports Audio through Bluetooth( v1.5). As I said it was expected.
You must also update your hardware to version v1.0.2 available on the Apple website (http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/) and use a compatible headset. The Jabra has poor audio bitrate (8k) and so gives low quality audio. I will update here as I get more information.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by hadocon:
How did you connect yours? I have an HBH-30, and I have managed to pair it, but I can't fingure out how to actually connect it so I can use it with iChat... Any tips?
My HBH-30 now works with Apple's new BT software! I did have to install the BT firmware update however... I wish the BT 1.5 woudl have warned me that I needed to do this... Whatver. Lucky I am an Elite user
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2004, 04:15 AM

From my experience this morning, BT 1.5 and firmware 1.02 for the D-link BT adapter has serious problems not only with causing Connection Lost messages with M$ BT mice but also with maintaining the Jabra headset in the Sound preference. I have been using the Jabra BT200 quite successfully to listen to internet radio at work for about 3 days but when I started up this morning, the Jabra showed it was BT connected but no audio was coming from the headset. A quick check of the Sound preferences showed that the Jabra had suddenly and completely disappeared overnight from the Sound input and output sources. After a lot of messing about with re-registering the headset, the final solution was to install BT 1.5 again.
Something is seriously pooched with this BT upgrade so don't expect smooth sailing.
Apple--you need to look at this update again.

haifischjunge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 08:58 AM

Does the SonyEricsson BHT-10 work wit ichat?

perbl
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2004, 12:14 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to use audio gateway from a bluetooth phone now? Have the T610.

Forum Links
Forum Rules