Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme 3.4.2 update killed my airport card.

Airport Extreme 3.4.2 update killed my airport card.
jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2004, 11:51 PM

Sorry about the cross post, but....

Installed airport extreme 3.4.2 update and now the system reports that I have no airport card. Tried to rollback the driver to 3.4.1, same result. I would really like to get my network card working again.

However, if I do plug in my linksys pcmia card, the airport driver does recognize that G card, but not my internal card.

Juice
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 3, 2004, 11:55 PM

Yeah I just got the notice in software update for the update. Not sure if I'll get it but the last couple of updates haven't hurt my card or connect. Sorry to hear about yours.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 4, 2004, 12:03 AM

Just took a chance and got the update anyway. After restarting get to the desktop took a little bit longer but every seems to work ok. I don't have an Airport Extreme card, just Airport card in my iBook G3 but the update still showed up in Software Update.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2004, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by jguidroz:
Installed airport extreme 3.4.2 update and now the system reports that I have no airport card.
Are you saying it is not even displayed in System Profiler? If so, here are some ideas:

1) Restart (again)
2) Reset the PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449)
3) Reset the PRAM (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238)
4) In Terminal, from an admin account, type 'sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions' and enter your admin password when requested. This will force the driver cache to be rebuilt.

See if any of those ideas help.

Chris

jguidroz  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2004, 09:08 AM

Yes, I'm saying that after downloading the update and installing and rebooting, my computer reported that no airport card was installed. I checked system profiler and when I clicked on airport it said no information. I rebooted. I reset the PRAM. I rolled back the driver to 3.4.1. No detection of my airport extreme card which had been working perfectly. Updated back to 3.4.2. Still nothing. Put in my linksys card, that card works perfectly fine with the latest airport drivers. Right now looking at the taking the card out, start he machine, shut it down, put the card back in, and see if it detects it.

Update:
So I reseated my card, and now the card is detected, but it's not picking up on any of our wireless routers here at work (I'm assuming they are up and running).

Update2:
After reseating my card 4 or 5 times, it showed up and picked up the wireless networks.
( Last edited by jguidroz; Jun 4, 2004 at 10:11 AM. )
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2004, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the updates. Apparently the software update and the card problems were unrelated.

Chris

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2004, 12:08 AM

Well after trying to get wpa to go, (finally did but then I couldnt use wep again!) I disconnected the signal to make sure wpa logs in properly and all of a sudden crash city !.. machine will now not boot correctly (takes 10 sec to get to login screen, then as soon as you type in your p/w it hangs)... take the airport card out (original not extreme) and it boots correctly.. any suggestions..

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2004, 11:11 AM

How do you rollback to Airport 3.4.1? After bumping up to 3.4.2 my iBook G3's signal became unreliable.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 04:01 PM

Help! My linksys card no longer works. I tried resetting the PMU, PRAM, and reverting back to Airport 3.3 with no luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules